Quantcast

Random Food Thread.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Interesting read. I've heard the term used when referring to breadmaking, but have always associated it with the negative effects yeast autolysis has in brewing (meaty or sulfury aroma and flavor). Never could figure out why anyone would do that on purpose. Make s a bit more sense now. Thanks

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I did not autolyse this time, but followed the sourdough process quite closely.
Wasn't bad.
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: You're giving @jdcamb some good competition for his traveling pizza truck. Interesting how the left side looks so much more well done, probably from the lack of water content that the right side's vegetable provided?

What are yall cooking them on, a stone? Any experience with a stone in a bbq?

What cheese(s) are yall trying out?

W

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: You're giving @jdcamb some good competition for his traveling pizza truck. Interesting how the left side looks so much more well done, probably from the lack of water content that the right side's vegetable provided?

W
Thanks! The right side does not have tomato sauce on it as wife prefers it naked. I bake it on the cheapest 15x15 clay stone I found on Amazon, in the oven @ 475F, works great. Cheese - a lot of mozzarella, sometimes a dollop of ricotta here and there, sometimes a bit of grated parmesan.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thanks! The right side does not have tomato sauce on it as wife prefers it naked. I bake it on the cheapest 15x15 clay stone I found on Amazon, in the oven @ 475F, works great. Cheese - a lot of mozzarella, sometimes a dollop of ricotta here and there, sometimes a bit of grated parmesan.
my wife has such a strong preference for white pizza that i don't really like it anymore, unless i'm the one making it. most pizza places use WAYYYYYYY too much oil or basically none

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

W
i've used my stone on my grill before. same general rules apply - preheat it with the grill then let it cool down the same in the grill when its done.

i generally use whole milk mozz with a few dabs of ricotta. when i make white pizza, i also like to mix in some gruyere or grated parm (depending on what i have on hand) along with oil and herbs

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i've used my stone on my grill before. same general rules apply - preheat it with the grill then let it cool down the same in the grill when its done.

i generally use whole milk mozz with a few dabs of ricotta. when i make white pizza, i also like to mix in some gruyere or grated parm (depending on what i have on hand) along with oil and herbs
I was thinking bbq for pizza because of the higher heat, lower propane cost and in the summer the oven wont be back feeding all sorts of heat into the house.

Gonna order one tonight...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Another batch of sourdough is rising. This time, I let it autolyse for an hour before mixing in the starter. Pizza should be good tomorrow.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was thinking bbq for pizza because of the higher heat, lower propane cost and in the summer the oven wont be back feeding all sorts of heat into the house.

Gonna order one tonight...
A pizza stone is definitely a good thing to have. I've also cooked bread loafs on mine

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
My success with using cast iron Dutch oven for sourdough loaves led me down the internet rabbithole of iron pizza boards which supposedly cook "hotter" because metal conducts heat better than stone (and cools quicker...)

I got one of these during the corn teen, but was yeast free til recently so never had a proper thick but airy.crust base to work with.

My go to dough is thin and crispy almost matza but the kiddos like more bready crust...

Recently procured yeast, Moz/parm run at Costco so should try it again.

The first time I tried hot plate on stone because it holds heat better but think that may have altered my preheat duration.

2nd time was without the stone but at highest oven temps (525?) And crust was close to perfect (crispy / doughy ) though I should have proofed dough longer...

TLDR: need to eat more pizza and play with hot metal

ETA: iron board was only $40 on 3/20/20, I should have invested all my corona bux in pizza board futures and buy N+1

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My sushi rice is close. It's hard to get a small batch mixed right, but it's close. Well seasoned & sticky, but now too sticky.
Ignore the tiny slice of tuna, it's just an sample.
20200511_191703.jpg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Just for Shits and Giggles. We set up my Oven again. I made 2 batches of dough. One failed and one OK. Got caught showing off. Carol made sauce(opened cans..). Her Stepdad supplied the Oak logs and Mozz. The fire was very Hot and briefly got away from me. Took me hours to reign her in. By then folks made other dinner accommodations. Burned a few lets say i am out of practice. Ruined my favorite Peel. Battistoni Pepperoni (Cup and Char) always very tasty. Did not know that Dogs shouldn't eat Onions... To much work. Not enough Reward.

Last edited:

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm not a steak person but these were delicious. Not crazy pricey, but the most expensive steak I've cooked in years, was nervous about screwing up. We ate it all...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My success with using cast iron Dutch oven for sourdough loaves led me down the internet rabbithole of iron pizza boards which supposedly cook "hotter" because metal conducts heat better than stone (and cools quicker...)

I got one of these during the corn teen, but was yeast free til recently so never had a proper thick but airy.crust base to work with.

My go to dough is thin and crispy almost matza but the kiddos like more bready crust...

Recently procured yeast, Moz/parm run at Costco so should try it again.

The first time I tried hot plate on stone because it holds heat better but think that may have altered my preheat duration.

2nd time was without the stone but at highest oven temps (525?) And crust was close to perfect (crispy / doughy ) though I should have proofed dough longer...

TLDR: need to eat more pizza and play with hot metal

ETA: iron board was only $40 on 3/20/20, I should have invested all my corona bux in pizza board futures and buy N+1
i'm curious about pizza steels. advantages over a stone?

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
i'm curious about pizza steels. advantages over a stone?
I don't have enough time in with mine to notice a difference, but the food nerd articles I found suggest steels will decrease cooking times (and burn the bottom of loaf bread accordingly) as they transfer heat quicker than stone: