Quantcast

Random Food Thread.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Tried making thai peanut sauce tonight.
5/10 for results.
1/10 for not following receipe because ingredients didn't make it to apocalypse grocery list.

Next time.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Nice hour spent trimming a Lamb leg. I trim off most of the fat then cut the meat into 5-8 oz chunks to use in Currys and Stir frys. The trimmings get cooked up and mixed into the dogs meals a little at a time. I put one batch of Lamb into a pyrex so I can make Lamb Biryani tomorrow night. I wasted no part of the leg.

Cooking the trimmings up as doggie snacks

Doggie Snacks

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Crusted halibut sandwich with carmeliezed onions and peppercorn chipotle mayo. Did not suck.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Sautéed scallops, garlic, butter, olive oil and lemon, with long grain wild rice and roasted carrots.
dredged the scallops in corn starch, made the texture flat out amazing. Family ate too quick for pics because it smelled so good...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Tried making thai peanut sauce tonight.
5/10 for results.
1/10 for not following receipe because ingredients didn't make it to apocalypse grocery list.

Next time.
Isn't it like peanut butter, coconut milk and a crap load of garlic?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have really streamlined my food requirements. From gathering to execution. Firstly bang for the buck. Veggies and grains are my primary staples. Turkey in chop form and Chicken parts are my primary proteins. Pork Loins are my splurge. Frozen Talapia fillets and Rice also. Food budget is way down also.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My food budget is down $$$$$ since I've stopped eating out a few nights a week.
Tonight made grilled pork chops, roasted 'tatos and green beans. BURP. so good.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yep. I pretty much follow the Zuni Café method, which involves a dry brine and then oven roasting at high heat. The basic technique is pretty simple. The dry brine really makes a huge difference in flavor, texture, and crispy skin.
Isn't that just a rub?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah yeah SS, I get it. But whoa, prices have gone up. It was around $4K at the time, part of a package deal with other (less fancy) appliances. Sorry not sorry.

JM, yeah pretty much the same as a dry rub, but just S&P. There's some science behind it - it first pulls moisture out, but if you give it enough time it then draws the moisture back in, with the seasoning, so the bird is flavored throughout, and it also changes protein structure in a way I like. I do it with pretty much all meat if I can think far enough ahead (but not ground meat, which turns to mush).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Finally got around to making some enchiladas. Might have put too much cheese and green sauce? Idk?

They smell good... roasted a bigass poblano pepper for them beforehand.

Half of them..

OstWind

Chimp
Apr 7, 2020
food is a drug! and i really like it!

after reviewing your pfotos I made a menu for the next week:happydance: