Quantcast

Random Food Thread.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
the pizza crust experiment was a success. I was finally able to get bread flour. It's much more elastic than all purpose flour. used a little more fast acting yeast. Played around a bit with the spice bomb. Crust came out with a better consistency, no thin spots. It also cooked faster by about 3 minutes at 500 on the stone
117118817_3753311388019177_1531147561787707205_o.jpg
117391169_3753311301352519_9073487283626301313_o.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Tried these out on the grill ... good call Jon!
Made a bunch of poblanos and one red sweet pepper because I had one.
Beef, black beans, rice, seasoning, cheese. Forgot to add the corn I had. Delicious. Next time I'd dice a jalapeno mixed it into the beef, plus the corn. Short of that I'll be smothering my lunch leftovers in 505 green chile.
View attachment 148564
Nice. The last time I did them I diced a jalapeno and mixed it in some refried beans and cheese. Also very good, but I was maybe a little too generous with the refried beans.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I don't know what magic they got going with Elk from North East Pennsylvania. Crazy good. Not keen on the idea of a canned hunt. But the meat harvested sure is tasty.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
actually, just out of curiosity i googled it. since the game commision started allowing elk hunting in 2001, only about 1300 elk licenses have been issued. it wasn't until 2014 that the # of licenses issued in a year was over 100 (in 2019 about 140 licenses were issued). all elk licenses are distributed through a lottery process.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
actually, just out of curiosity i googled it. since the game commision started allowing elk hunting in 2001, only about 1300 elk licenses have been issued. it wasn't until 2014 that the # of licenses issued in a year was over 100 (in 2019 about 140 licenses were issued). all elk licenses are distributed through a lottery process.
What I want to know is how do the Outfitters like North Country Adventures and Adam Hill circumvent the permit process and hunt Elk, Bear, and Boar out of season? So you and I can't hunt them without a permit but some jackass can pay $1000 show up, Hunt using ATV's and fences? All on National Forest lands. By the way the Elk herds are huge. Drive down 219 towards Pittsburgh sometimes. All the campgrounds are closed due to Bear and Boar overpopulation. Northeast PA is a lawless area for the most part. The abandoned housing is the most shocking thing. All the Fracking facilities are all closed and abandoned. Everything looks like McKeesport in the 80's.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What I want to know is how do the Outfitters like North Country Adventures and Adam Hill circumvent the permit process and hunt Elk, Bear, and Boar out of season? So you and I can't hunt them without a permit but some jackass can pay $1000 show up, Hunt using ATV's and fences? All on National Forest lands. By the way the Elk herds are huge. Drive down 219 towards Pittsburgh sometimes. All the campgrounds are closed due to Bear and Boar overpopulation. Northeast PA is a lawless area for the most part. The abandoned housing is the most shocking thing. All the Fracking facilities are all closed and abandoned. Everything looks like McKeesport in the 80's.
boar hunting isn't regulated by the game commission in PA, but the department of agriculture, so no licensing is required and there is no season.

elk guiding is permitted but i can't find any regulations.

national forest land is open for hunting, my dad used to hunt near Tionesta and Marionville. ATV's are allowed in some places in the nat'l forests, which are frequently adjacent to state game lands (and aren't always marked).

hunting out of season and driving is technically illegal, but the enforcement is the problem. like you said, huge tracts of land with low population and less game commission presence. 20 counties in PA with populations of under 50k people, including 3 with populations of under 10k.

i went to McKeesport high school. it wasn't much better in the 90's.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
out of curiosity, i pulled up the website for North Country Adventures, he is based in PA but doesn't offer any hunting services in PA, at least that he advertises.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
out of curiosity, i pulled up the website for North Country Adventures, he is based in PA but doesn't offer any hunting services in PA, at least that he advertises.
We used his services last fall. I can assure you he does. He has a fortified Militia camp in St Marys. All my Brothers Bug Out friends use his services.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We used his services last fall. I can assure you he does. He has a fortified Militia camp in St Marys. All my Brothers Bug Out friends use his services.
Oh I don't doubt it. Hence I clarified that he didn't advertise said services.

And yea, those regions are definitely prime territory for your bug out, sovereign citizen, tin foil types.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Going to try these stuffed poblanos. Basically just some left over rice, cheese with jalepenos in it, little salsa, some left over red enchilada sauce and something I'm forgetting.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Our Tomatoes are off the hook. We planted Grapes. However we got Plums. Delicious and Red. Very few get home. I carry a salt shaker in my Camelback.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Those stuffed peppers were great. But definitely needed some chorizo or something added in there for more of a flavour kick.

@jonKranked @Nick how'd you stop the filling from expanding out the top?