Quantcast

Random Food Thread.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Local place a block away makes good Rueben's and Rachel’s, turkey or corned beef.
B4500662-7CF2-42D8-86D3-CE1F61DCBB93.jpeg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If you're inundated with cherry tomatoes like i am right now... this is good:

Just about finished ours for the year :(

We planted a month late due to the covid's, then had to pull the plants a month early due to the freeze/snow.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Meh, didn't have whole wheat flour in Idahoozle and I think white browns quicker but 3 of my tallest loaves to date...

IMG_20200920_091837.jpg

Been having an issue with the 3rd loaves being over-proofed by the time I bake them, so did the majority of proofing in fridge which seems to help.

I've consistently fed my sourdough at cooler temps so they seem to do just fine with fridge proofing...

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Meh, didn't have whole wheat flour in Idahoozle and I think white browns quicker but 3 of my tallest loaves to date...

View attachment 149916

Been having an issue with the 3rd loaves being over-proofed by the time I bake them, so did the majority of proofing in fridge which seems to help.

I've consistently fed my sourdough at cooler temps so they seem to do just fine with fridge proofing...
My latest batch of ciabatti turned out really well. Just might be getting the hang of this.

Next batch is sure to be a disaster now. :disgust:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Nice, your/that recipe is still on my short list of things to experiment with along with homemade mozzarella.

You folks with unripened tomato plants can cut them down and bring inside to vine ripen, I think we had fresh tomatoes into December the one year we had an early freeze and cut them off early... Including cherry tomatoes.

We got our first proper crop of apples this year from our free tree we got for being Bozeman breeders when our oldest was born 14 years ago...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Made French toast again with the sourdough cinnamon bread recipe. Used a wee bit of yeast in the recipe this time and it helped quite a bit.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Nice, your/that recipe is still on my short list of things to experiment with along with homemade mozzarella.

You folks with unripened tomato plants can cut them down and bring inside to vine ripen, I think we had fresh tomatoes into December the one year we had an early freeze and cut them off early... Including cherry tomatoes.

We got our first proper crop of apples this year from our free tree we got for being Bozeman breeders when our oldest was born 14 years ago...
We don't vine ripen, just pick and then put in suitable container in a paper bag on the kitchen window sill.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
We don't vine ripen, just pick and then put in suitable container in a paper bag on the kitchen window sill.
It's my understanding that they hold / keep much longer* if left on the vine (as in months...)

*Especially if you have to harvest all at once

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Friend Aaron has these Apple trees on his property. They make the best Cider you ever had. His Cider making chops are good. I am pretty lit.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

View attachment 149916

:drool:

Those look good! My loaves have been pretty consistent lately but I only bake one at a time.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Baking with new flour is sometimes an adventure. S&S just started selling larger bags of bread flour. With the same water content, the dough feels notably stickier than with my old flour.

1600890929808.png