Quantcast

Random Food Thread.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Hey all,are those Sous large enough for a Turkey? I usually do 12 to 16 lb Bird. I always Brine it,then BBQ on a Weber Rotisserie. I was thinking,I could leave the Lid Off and cook that skin to perfection,then pull it.

Actually,that might take too long? Mabye Lid On for like 25 min? I have never done it that way,but I do know how the BBQ cooks. Lid off is like lookin at Boiling Water. Great for drinkin beer and watching though.

Avy

Last edited:

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Hey all,are those Sous large enough for a Turkey? I usually do 12 to 16 lb Bird. I always Brine it,then BBQ on a Weber Rotisserie. I was thinking,I could leave the Lid Off and cook that skin to perfection,then pull it.

Actually,that might take too long? Mabye Lid On for like 25 min? I have never done it that way,but I do know how the BBQ cooks. Lid off is like lookin at Boiling Water. Great for drinkin beer and watching though.

Avy
I’ve never sous vide(d?) anything larger than a tri tip, but I don’t see why not. If you have a big enough pot and enough time, you should be able to sous vide just about anything - provided large enough bags are available.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I’ve never sous vide(d?) anything larger than a tri tip, but I don’t see why not. If you have a big enough pot and enough time, you should be able to sous vide just about anything - provided large enough bags are available.
I was thinking of using the Brine Zip Lock Bag. Not Sealt Enough?

Sorry Admin,can you move my post to the correct place?

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Maybe break it down into parts and sous vide it that way?
I thought of that Brother,I was thinking keepen her whole. The Turkey is a tough one to cook for me. It was just a thought I had. Actually,cutting it up is the best way for perfection. I am tryin to master thy Turkey. Yeah,I have had a great Turkey,but Avy has Yet to cook the Perfect one?

Avy

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I thought of that Brother,I was thinking keepen her whole. The Turkey is a tough one to cook for me. It was just a thought I had. Actually,cutting it up is the best way for perfection. I am tryin to master thy Turkey. Yeah,I have had a great Turkey,but Avy has Yet to cook the Perfect one?

Avy
I did a nice one in a apple cider brine, skinned it then in a weber kettle indirect low heat slow BBQ with sweet baby rays BBQ sauce (triple layer of foil under a wire rack for airflow under the turkey with a vertical foil wall with the coals on the other side of the kettle)

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I did a nice one in a apple cider brine, skinned it then in a weber kettle indirect low heat slow BBQ with sweet baby rays BBQ sauce (triple layer of foil under a wire rack for airflow under the turkey with a vertical foil wall with the coals on the other side of the kettle)
Wow,that sound’s intense. I can see what you describe in my Head on Cooking.

When you say “skinned” it,do you mean,Broke Down? No skin? The Bird is Whole?

Avy

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Wow,that sound’s intense. I can see what you describe in my Head on Cooking.

When you say “skinned” it,do you mean,Broke Down? No skin? The Bird is Whole?

Avy
de skinned, bird whole

this is the brine. I actually brine for two or three days ( I just use the brine recipe and skip the rest)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
As long as I have been cooking. I have always marinated meat overnight in the fridge. In a pan or bowl filled so the marinate overtopped the meat. It was to my disgust that I learned my friend Amy would marinate her meats left out overnight in a crock with a lid and only minimal marinate. Her food is delicious. She Sous-vides Turkey breasts with the skin on and then puts the breasts in the electric smoker to finish them. Just amazing. She makes Kitchen sink salads this time of year. The best you ever had. Works of art with 20 plus ingredients. Mostly grilled meats. Good cheeses and whatever is in season. Pickled watermelon, homemade croutons from homemade breads. She is a very creative cook. I am privileged to live near her. I love her Kids, Her Mom, and I have become good friends with her Husband. I regularly eat at her house and cook for her family. Her Husband is also a great cook. I have been working with him on Sous-vide wings. I think we have the process down. Just checking in. Happy harvest time everyone. Life is about good rides, with good friends, good wines, and breaking bread with them after a good day on the trails.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
More chicken, 1kg of boneless thighs, just used a mild nando's seasoning, coz children.
There was a plain piece for an intolerant person but I lost track of which one it was when the flare up happened, it was rather large.
IMG_20220814_225933.jpg

EDIT- I need to get some Korean Pepper again, it makes cheese on toast acceptable as a main meal, it's so damn tasty!

Last edited:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
The Cajun place we ate at last night was weirded out about my request to take my mud bug meal remains home.
20220815_160727.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Was really hungry this morning but when the burger arrived I wasn't all that hungry, was probably good as I don't think I could have ingested the whole burger's worth of salt in one go.
IMG_20220817_222901.jpg

Also, fuck brioche buns, stupid things.