Quantcast

random morning idea

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
The price is food is going up, one of the reasons is gas prices. Farmers can apply for something that makes them "farm assessed" which means they pay less taxes. Lowered property taxes, and no tax on items for their livestock/ fields. (this gets messy with horse farmers because of the tac sometimes). Well why should they pay the state and federal tax on gas? The government should offer farmers the same tax break on gas as they offer on feed, after all no farmers no food. The farmers should be able to fill up at a gas station, save the receipt and mail them all in to the government at the end of the year and get their federal and state taxes back. Some farmers have their own fuel tanks with ag grade fuel but not many do.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Your post reads more like Random thoughts in no particular sequence.

Exactly what are you trying to say?

A. Farmers shouldn't have to pay taxes?

B. "Farm assessed" is another name for entitlement?

C. Flood the government with receipts?

D. The majority of farmers don't have their own fuel tanks?

:wtf:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Also:

You can pay less tax, or you can pay fewer taxes.

Just filling in for sunny during her patrol suspension.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I think they get diesel cheaper. I could be wrong, but I remember something being said about that in a conversation a while back. Or maybe I was paying attention.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
If they do not have a tank of off road diesel(no taxes) to use in their equipment it is their own fault for not saving money.

And who is to say once they start saving money on fuel they will lower their prices?

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I wish I could find it but a year or so ago I came across a map of New York City with residences that had filed for ag exemptions. It was amazing to me how many people in the heart of the city were farmers.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The price of food has little to do with the cost to produce it. For years farmers lost money when prices were low. It is all about supply and demand. Right now the demand is very high partly because gas is expensive and they are putting farm resources into ethanol. Subsiding fuel costs for farmers would just mean more profits for farmers with little incentive for them to save fuel.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
The price is food is going up, one of the reasons is gas prices. Farmers can apply for something that makes them "farm assessed" which means they pay less taxes. Lowered property taxes, and no tax on items for their livestock/ fields. (this gets messy with horse farmers because of the tac sometimes). Well why should they pay the state and federal tax on gas? The government should offer farmers the same tax break on gas as they offer on feed, after all no farmers no food. The farmers should be able to fill up at a gas station, save the receipt and mail them all in to the government at the end of the year and get their federal and state taxes back. Some farmers have their own fuel tanks with ag grade fuel but not many do.
Run for government -

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you guys are really quick to jump on him, but I don't think its a half bad idea. I doubt we'd ever see it enacted. But farmers have been getting tax breaks and the like more or less since the Great Depression.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If they do not have a tank of off road diesel(no taxes) to use in their equipment it is their own fault for not saving money.

And who is to say once they start saving money on fuel they will lower their prices?
Ditto to both points. If the equipment is being used on roads (as would be assumed if fueling up at a commercial pump) then the excise tax is fully warranted.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If you want to lower prices on commodities, remove the govt subsidies. This will mean more of the farmers will produce, allowing a larger supply reducing prices. The market needs to regulate prices, not the govt.

TSchultz

Chimp
Sep 2, 2003
S. MN
Just one point, farmers are not the ones who raise and lower thier prices. It's the companies that they sell the commodities to that control the price in the grocery store. Farming is one of the very few businesses that take their product to the market and told what they can get for it. Most businesses take there product to maket and charge what the market will bear.

One other thing to ponder is that while everyone is thinking that farmers are making butt loads of money with high corn prices right now, what they fail to realize is that most of the coming years crops have already sold at a more average price.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
This would be a drop in the bucket compared to the other assistance that farmers get.

It's supply and demand.

Unseasonable drought + idled farmland + natural diasters + Fewer food independent third world markets = less supply

Fewer food independent third world markets + population increases + diet change in newly prosperous nations + middle class size increase in Asia + proliferation of biofuels = more demand

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Unseasonable drought + idled farmland + natural diasters + Fewer food independent third world markets = less supply

Fewer food independent third world markets + population increases + diet change in newly prosperous nations + middle class size increase in Asia + proliferation of biofuels = more demand
Yeah, well all yer fancy math ain't putting food on my family.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Part of the problem as well is speculation, with the dollar plummeting, many investors are putting their money into commodities like wheat, corn, soybeans, etc., and it causes prices to go up.

This affects all corners of the market, since most feed is based off of those basic commodities, causing prices to rise.

However, removing the subsidies and taking a laissez-faire attitude towards farming will have some negative effects, as it will crush the already struggling small farms in the United States. In Central and South America, they can grow the exact same crops, except for considerably less.

Ethanol from sugar cane is fantastic environmentally and efficient, but harder to grow, so don't just write it off.

It is a mixture of demand from more mouths to feed, higher demand for ethanol with oil prices, oil/gas and speculation which has put us in this situation today. Paying for gas probably won't have a huge effect on the price, but the idea is decent.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal

only in the spirit of psp bashing. otherwise, this doesn't sound so bad.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Just one point, farmers are not the ones who raise and lower thier prices. It's the companies that they sell the commodities to that control the price in the grocery store. Farming is one of the very few businesses that take their product to the market and told what they can get for it.
Maybe if he/she is a spectacularly unsophisticated farmer... you do realize that farmers can actually *participate* in the commodities market, right?