Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've been doing it on and off since 2002 - have a DH bike, convince myself I can get away with a FR bike, do that for a few years, but a DH bike again, rinse/wash/repeat. I think for me the DH bike just turns the fun factor up to 11 in really gnarly terrain.
yo tambien. "Oh, this trail bike is great. Some DH wheels and I should be good to go with one bike forever" *wiped out after a single run* "I need a DH bike *buys DH Bike* "Man I don't ride this enough, I should be good to go with just a good trail bike and a set of DH wheels"

there's no replacement for a good DH bike. Coil shocks, big brakes, knobby tires.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Isn't that the latest sb165? It doesn't void the warranty to put a dual crowned fork in front of it.
Not sure if yeti would put bottle mounts on a pure DH bike, butI have been proven wrong before! ;)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
And this. :twitch:

I forgot to save it because I'm a doofus, but I ran the AF last night and they fixed that. It's way more progressive, and loses that big digressive swing from mid travel. It flattens out a bit, but it's wayyyyy better.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The new Rune looks good. Wonder what they weigh. Also replaceable dropouts to suit 26" wheels are an interesting touch.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
As a Rune rider this excites me. They look like nice bikes. Hopefully it keeps much of the same traits as the current version. I'm fairly certain that my rune with 160mm boingers pedals much better than my Transition Scout with 125mm; even with the Scout weighing much much less.

Only thing I'm not thrilled on is the price of the frame.

The new Rune looks good. Wonder what they weigh. Also replaceable dropouts to suit 26" wheels are an interesting touch.
They look like the same drop outs that come on the existing bikes. They are nice if you want to switch axle type/size etc as the whole rear end comes off the rear triangle. Probably adds some weight, but whatever.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
They look like the same drop outs that come on the existing bikes. They are nice if you want to switch axle type/size etc as the whole rear end comes off the rear triangle. Probably adds some weight, but whatever.
Do they cause any hassles? I'm sure they're well made, but just curious if there's any added maintenance creaking etc. I think most people are going to pick a size and stick with it anyway.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Do they cause any hassles? I'm sure they're well made, but just curious if there's any added maintenance creaking etc. I think most people are going to pick a size and stick with it anyway.
dunno bout those, but i never had any issues with the g3 adjustables on my uzzi. and these look even more integrated/solid.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I've had 2 banshees with the modular drop outs and they never gave me any trouble whatsoever. Obviously there are trade offs mainly weight, but I respect Keith for offering options and some degree of future proofing. I hope the new bikes sell well--they've been due for an update and it's tough for small shops to keep up with consumer ADD.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i never had an issue with them on my spitfire.

it's also a nice touch because younger riders could take advantage of smaller wheels, then switch over to larger wheels as they get bigger.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah I don't see the problem here. This one is embracing what e-bikes actually are. Mopeds. This is way better than e-bikes pretending to be normal bikes.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
"new" mojo...now with the same horrible aesthetics as the last mojo. nopenopenope

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
"new" mojo...now with the same horrible aesthetics as the last mojo. nopenopenope
Ah I'd bang one of those. Looks alright at a glance - it's only gotta do bike stuff and not have any glaring shortcomings.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Ignoring the aesthetics, I suspect it comes with the terrible leverage curve of its predecessors, sky high BB (351mm, da fuq), old shocks and pivots with bushings. No thanks.