Quantcast

Random new bike thread

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Lol I'm going to try Chris's new bike..not a fan of name but I'll run one and see...finishing off the internal routing of cables and moving a gusset slightly more outboard to allow room for it to go in on side....

Not an ebike guy but may be in on the new slash HP ebike...love mine and a little assist would be badass.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Lol I'm going to try Chris's new bike..not a fan of name but I'll run one and see...finishing off the internal routing of cables and moving a gusset slightly more outboard to allow room for it to go in on side....

Not an ebike guy but may be in on the new slash HP ebike...love mine and a little assist would be badass.
My biggest concern “w/adjustable bikes” is I just dont see people actually adjusting them. Most people just set and forget. Even when we think we are going to use this…more often than not, we dont.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
My biggest concern “w/adjustable bikes” is I just dont see people actually adjusting them. Most people just set and forget. Even when we think we are going to use this…more often than not, we dont.
1000% agree...

I diversify enough that I'd like to have one to maybe switch between 2 lower spots amd see which one I like...don't know that I'd do the middle setting or the bottom more than each other..but I'd definitely be in the 220mm rearward here and there no questions...that would get used .

The other would be whichever pedals well jumps well and I can run there most of the time riding with wife or on trips with her...I literally sacrifice alot when she rides...she loves riding but it's not her strength and I won't push her so I diddle and jib the whole time we ride, but need a more solid playfull setting that I can pedal...

Trying to decide which bike goes with me to the NW, in a few weeks on family trip, last time I took the Hightower LT and hit silver mountain DH lines, opportunity knocked and I said "Hell yeah!"..
blew up the shock, broke the bars, hammered the living crap past what bike was designed for (God it was a good time)..
2 days later rode it clapped out at Hiawatha trail for 30 miles...

It only takes a few minutes, Chris did his online at the Enduro races between stages...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Where exactly would you expect to "see" people adjusting their frames?
I've always seen frame adjustability as the option to set it up closer to your personal preference rather than shit to fuck about with at every opportunity

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i bought both my uzzi vp and nomad for some adjustability and definitely use/d it for local vs. downhill

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The only reason I've owned multiple Rocky Mountains is the amount of adjustability they build into their frames. Although as Gary noted, once I adjust it to where it rides like I want I leave it alone.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
cam zink has a new bike. when i apply enhance.gif, i find myself wondering if it was welded by FTW.

View attachment 215626
I think we’re reaching a high for “rider owned” frame companies. I know all bike companies are supposedly founded by people who like bikes, I’m talking about riders who have a cache to their name, and a history as a competitor, investing in brands.

Zink and whatever that is above
Neko and frameworks
Athertons
Gwin and crestline
Strait and Ari

Any I’m missing?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I've always seen frame adjustability as the option to set it up closer to your personal preference rather than shit to fuck about with at every opportunity
Preferably adjusting it on trail in the middle of the trail itself...or all commando style behind the landing of a big sender so they can be an obstacle too...
.but my expectation of where I would think may change periodically..

Ok now to what I would do
On trips at the cabin depending on what we are hitting...northwest trips where I can't bring the DH bike and still need to pedal with wife.. it's a quick easy swap on lowerlink...so if I love middle setting and it does it for me cool...I'll ride it there most of the time..

Not thinking , oh this section is a mild one I'll get all bob the builder with this shit, then next corner take it up again...screw that even my ass is too lazy for that... But it's easy enough and quick that if I'm at the cabin and deciding where I want to ride I don't have to think about it a ton....I can ride opportunity day if I want...

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think we’re reaching a high for “rider owned” frame companies. I know all bike companies are supposedly founded by people who like bikes, I’m talking about riders who have a cache to their name, and a history as a competitor, investing in brands.

Zink and whatever that is above
Neko and frameworks
Athertons
Gwin and crestline
Strait and Ari

Any I’m missing?
Turner

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well yeah, but then you just buy the bike that is already set up to your personal preference in the first place.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
banshee titan mx in low setting is at 332mm
Hmmm... Nice try but that seems to be a 155mm travel bike.
I still consider a genuinely low BB to be lower than that for a 200mm travel DH bike (like some of us rode in the good ol days). Clearance wise that would translate roughly to somewhere around 320mm on a 155-165mm trail/derp bike. FWIW My tired old emtb has a 328mm BB height with 170/165 travel and I definitely don't consider that particularly low.

Some folk definitely moaned about them being too low BITD. but I and plenty others really didn't. Now that Emtbs are the norm Jerrys all over the world are scrabbling around hunting down tiny cranks rather than looking ahead and adjusting their foot position and timing pedal strokes

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Hmmm... Nice try but that seems to be a 155mm travel bike.
I still consider a genuinely low BB to be lower than that for a 200mm travel DH bike (like some of us rode in the good ol days). Clearance wise that would translate roughly to somewhere around 320mm on a 155-165mm trail/derp bike. FWIW My tired old emtb has a 328mm BB height with 170/165 travel and I definitely don't consider that particularly low.

Some folk definitely moaned about them being too low BITD. but I and plenty others really didn't. Now that Emtbs are the norm Jerrys all over the world are scrabbling around hunting down tiny cranks rather than looking ahead and adjusting their foot position and timing pedal strokes
Obviously no longer an option, but my 2014 Megatrail has a 320 mm BB and 430 mm chainstays. Still a fun AF offroad conveyance.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
How about just putting the goddamn cranks on the bike that don't hit the ground? So we don't have to figure this all out aftermarket?
Well I'm old school and all these tall BB make me feel out of place .I put 190mm cranks and wear vans so I can smash cranks and fold toes over pedals in rocks ..
We can all fight the adjustability industry phase .power to the Doers!!!!