Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I remember vividly my old 26" BOS Idylle rare air. 2013 I think it was. Still to this date the best air spring I have ridden and an insane amount of control via the open oilbath damper.
Such a shame that it was always a pita to get their products serviced as the product was really, really good.
I really really loved that fork.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
i haven‘t even found reviews for the last products. Who buys these and why are they not talking about them?
Some French people buy them. Bos seems to want to expand so that hopefully there will be more reviews and availability.

@Mo(n)arch
Service and spares is working well, even very well from the feedback I get on the french forum Velovert. Bos had a huge problem with their database for order, stock, etc many years ago. It almost killed the company and gave them a bad reputation...
I don't know if Bos has service centers outside France nowadays?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Bos suspension is launching a bunch of new products. The article is in French and hopefully your browser will be able to translate it.
"a passive system that detects shocks from the ground and adjusts the response of the fork to optimize the compression and gripping of the travel without diving unnecessarily"

Sold, take my money!
But seriously, hopefully they get a US distributor. A buddy had a DH fork long ago, it did not suck.

Not so sure about the rotors, not much material there......
bos.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Bos suspension is launching a bunch of new products. The article is in French and hopefully your browser will be able to translate it.
shouldn't this go in the "whatever happened to...?" thread?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Some French people buy them. Bos seems to want to expand so that hopefully there will be more reviews and availability.

@Mo(n)arch
Service and spares is working well, even very well from the feedback I get on the french forum Velovert. Bos had a huge problem with their database for order, stock, etc many years ago. It almost killed the company and gave them a bad reputation...
I don't know if Bos has service centers outside France nowadays?
Look, I'd totally try their offerings again. Actually I'd try a mini Idylle with 170mm in a heartbeat.
Like you said, in that period of time, like 10-12 years ago they sold a sh!ton of forks and dampers, atleast in europe. Everybody wanted their stuff. Unfortunately, they weren't able to get their service centers straight and refused to give information to people how to self service their stuff.
Long story short, everyone was convinced their product was amazing, but nobody wanted to deal with their (lack of) aftersales support.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
When they became suspension sponsor of the Scott DH team back in 2018 I thought that was a left field partnership, I don’t remember a single review or even first look style article about their products at the time. Good to see that they’re still making stuff.

It’s amazing how many brands exist completely in Europe and Asia with no cross over into the US market.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
After using (and moving on from) EXT stuff for a couple years, boutique non-self service suspension coupled with French attitude sounds like a recipe for disaster.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Look, I'd totally try their offerings again. Actually I'd try a mini Idylle with 170mm in a heartbeat.
Like you said, in that period of time, like 10-12 years ago they sold a sh!ton of forks and dampers, atleast in europe. Everybody wanted their stuff. Unfortunately, they weren't able to get their service centers straight and refused to give information to people how to self service their stuff.
Long story short, everyone was convinced their product was amazing, but nobody wanted to deal with their (lack of) aftersales support.
this time, will be different!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
After using (and moving on from) EXT stuff for a couple years, boutique non-self service suspension coupled with French attitude sounds like a recipe for disaster.
French attitude? Je ne comprends pas... :jester:

I have very little experience with Bos. I had a Bos S*toy chock for a short while long ago. It might have been very good, I don't know. I didn't have much to compare it to as I was discovering gravity riding. I didn't liked the loud noise the oil flow was making. It was for sure much better than than the CCDB air it replaced. Enduro was gaining popularity at that time, I moved on in that direction and got a new bike!

I feel you about serviceability and spares. I have now 2 EXT storia. I do change the oil on them myself. I can also get a similar dust seal to the original. The oil seal running against the shaft is the limiting factor as I don't know its dimensions and hardness. I will need to get them fully serviced at the local service centre every now and then to get the correct seal. Maybe also to hear what I did wrong as a home mechanic? :pleasantry:
Bos has all the spare parts and service kits listed and available for sale to everyone on their website. That's not available from EXT. Not for you and me at least, probably just for dealers.

One last thing. Bos is all about performance. Serviceability and durability will come second.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I remember vividly my old 26" BOS Idylle rare air. 2013 I think it was. Still to this date the best air spring I have ridden and an insane amount of control via the open oilbath damper.
Such a shame that it was always a pita to get their products serviced as the product was really, really good.
I really really loved that fork.
I had the coil version on my Sunday. Best bicycle suspension product I've ever ridden.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Worst after sales ever from a company.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Are Morewood making a comeback too? As that was the combo I remember from 2009ish that was popular.
:wub:

I tested this bike on literally one of the roughest tracks in our zone, with the coil RaRe as the air spring wasn't available at that time. That thing absolutely blew my mind.
Is it only nostalgia or was bike suspension really better about 10-15 years ago?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I shot Bos an email maybe six months back asking if it was possible to reduce travel on any of their forks more than advertised.
Their reply was swift and it was something like- No, have a good day.

I should see if I can get bits for my Stoy.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is it only nostalgia or was bike suspension really better about 10-15 years ago?
I'd guess its a mix of feeling nostalgia plus the fact that that is around when bike suspension started to get really good. Back then damping and whatnot actually improved.

"We now have damping!"

vs

"We now have MOAR damping!"

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
:wub:

One thing is that I think suspension started to get controlled. 15 years ago we had plush and our shocks actually moved. Now we have smooth but there's enough understanding of damping to get more mileage out of the same travel. So, it doesn't feel as nice in the parking lot, but you can go faster on it.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
One thing is that I think suspension started to get controlled. 15 years ago we had plush and our shocks actually moved. Now we have smooth but there's enough understanding of damping to get more mileage out of the same travel. So, it doesn't feel as nice in the parking lot, but you can go faster on it.
Maybe it's this.
On the other hand I think that we have definitely lost certain performance for "user friendliness". Air suspension has and will have still it's downsides and I repeat that I have never again ridden an air fork this composed then the old Idylle.

Mind you, we are still talking cartridges that have still to this day no or too much damping (Grip2 vs. Charger) or shitty air springs (ZEB).
Progression is once more then less modern, depending on features like HBO etc. and don't get me started on build quality...

All I say is, it would be interesting to test for example the Idylle rare internals in an updated 29" setting against current high end offerings and see how it perfermed. :nerd:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Devinci just launched a new version of the Troy.

What I mainly noted:
- Alu frame made in Canada
- Went back to Boost148
- 2 models based on the same frame: 140/130 or 160/150
- Each model available with a single build kit or frame only. Probably a good move these days to limit inventory issues.
- No headset cable routing
- 29 or Mullet
- Long reach
- I would have preferred a shorter ST
- Now with in-frame storage

Hopefully, this is a sign Devinci (and hopefully others) are starting to move away from SuperBoost157.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Devinci just launched a new version of the Troy.

What I mainly noted:
- Alu frame made in Canada
- Went back to Boost148
- 2 models based on the same frame: 140/130 or 160/150
- Each model available with a single build kit or frame only. Probably a good move these days to limit inventory issues.
- No headset cable routing
- 29 or Mullet
- Long reach
- I would have preferred a shorter ST
- Now with in-frame storage

Hopefully, this is a sign Devinci (and hopefully others) are starting to move away from SuperBoost157.
I love that, awesome spec and geometry.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout