Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I always associated Canfield with the high pivot idler/ rearward axle path designed downhill rig.
They decided to just build a DH bike with a more traditional design? Seems strange considering the return and recent success of the modern High pivot rigs.
I'm pretty sure that the Jedi will be updated soon. This bike is more of a DH bike you can pedal up hill.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
This one.2 29 er DH bike was shocking to me considering he just won Masters World champs on a Mullet Jedi?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
FFS, other than scaming moar money out of some hipster, I can't fathom why are these brands still working on steel. I get the whole steel is real mantra/dogma, but c'mon, with aluminum being so cheap, versatile and ductile I'm still amazed some asshats are still bragging about their uber heavy Columbus/Reynolds something something frames.

This precise case ultimately cements my beliefs, given they are resorting to aluminum for the rear triangle, as many other brands do.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Well, you´re not wrong there.
They´re apparently planning on releasing a second version with a two-part fully machined main triangle. So this is most likely just a way to get some early funding and/or cash in on the hipster crowd as well.
Not a stupid strategy for a super small company for which the main selling point is exclusivity.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
FFS, other than scaming moar money out of some hipster, I can't fathom why are these brands still working on steel. I get the whole steel is real mantra/dogma, but c'mon, with aluminum being so cheap, versatile and ductile I'm still amazed some asshats are still bragging about their uber heavy Columbus/Reynolds something something frames.

This precise case ultimately cements my beliefs, given they are resorting to aluminum for the rear triangle, as many other brands do.
I guess the issue here is if they can source the material, fabricate and weld it. Steel is fairly easy to source in smaller quantities and more people can weld it. Aluminium is easy to source and cheap in Asia, but in Europe it is hard to source tubing in smaller quantities. Then there is the issue of heat treating if you buy 6000 series aluminium from Asia, which not many have the possibility to do. Therefore 7000 series aluminium is more common in Europe, e.g. that is what Nicolai uses. In a recent podcast they said that they have to buy a 2 years worth of supply of tubes at once to get over the minimum order volume though. So as a small startup I would say that unless you hook up with a company that is already producing aluminium frames then there is no chance to get the material needed. Blocks of aluminium on the other hand are easier to source, also in smaller quantities.

After all it might be just a thing of what is possible for them. If the hipsters love it, even better.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yeah it’s interesting seeing the steel is real trend come back around. It seems to be mostly coming out of the UK these days.

seems to me it’s a bit of a backlash to how sorted, but also kinda homogenous, mainstream MTBs are.

I’ve always liked the looks of steel and currently have a cheapo steel hardcore hardtail... but I won’t kid myself that steel is the optimum material for a contemporary MTB.

Jeez there is a lot of Ti going around these days again too in some scenes.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
also, how is the swingarm not aligned with the center of the cog? and wtf is up with the other random holes nearby? and, shit, zoom in. weirdness EVERYWHERE. is it just a bizarre photoshop? or joke? what the hell?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The idler not being concentric with the pivot is, I'm sure, for tuning anti squat.

Finish is maybe a little rough in some places, but it's a one of one prototype right now. Looks pretty damn cool.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
also, how is the swingarm not aligned with the center of the cog? and wtf is up with the other random holes nearby? and, shit, zoom in. weirdness EVERYWHERE. is it just a bizarre photoshop? or joke? what the hell?
here is the text accompanying the pic I previously posted:

Sherpa Cycles said:
For those that have been asking, he’s some tech info on the Sherpa.
It runs on 27.5” wheels with 180mm forks and has 170mm rear travel. It has a 64° head tube angle, 76.5° seat tube angle, 450mm reach and 428mm chainstays.
The bungee keeps the chain tight and silent. I originally had a torsion spring keeping it tight but the bungee is much simpler and lighter, it just gets a few funny looks. It makes it easier to take the chain/wheel off as you can just unhook the bungee to release to tension.
Also:

Sherpa Cycles said:
The eccentric idler gives the Sherpa a lively pedalling platform. This is the one of my favourite aspects of the design and having an idler allowed me to tune the pedalling performance/anti squat independent of the other suspensions forces. It allowed me to keep pedalling consistent through the whole travel and has virtually no pedal kickback, a big factor in rider fatigue.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009

Uber heavy? There is no mention of weight in that article.

Have you actually compared the weight of a well sorted modern steel frame vs aluminum?

For reference a Cotic RocketMax is 3.85 kg. A GX level build coming in at 15.34kg. An aluminum Transition Sentinel GX is listed at 15.31kg on their website.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Yeah it’s interesting seeing the steel is real trend come back around. It seems to be mostly coming out of the UK these days.

seems to me it’s a bit of a backlash to how sorted, but also kinda homogenous, mainstream MTBs are.

I’ve always liked the looks of steel and currently have a cheapo steel hardcore hardtail... but I won’t kid myself that steel is the optimum material for a contemporary MTB.

Jeez there is a lot of Ti going around these days again too in some scenes.
I think the steel thing is more on the real small boutique bike brands. You want to sell like 1-200 frames a year? Steel is probably the only material that makes sense. Aluminum is only going to end up lighter in an MTB if its hydroformed, while I've seen people hydroform by plasma cutting out the shape they want in 2 sheets, welding them together and hooking up a pressure washer to it, but thats not a production manufacture method for sure. And the machinery for doing it for real is quite expensive, you can probably order pre-formed tubes but that gets you into ordering from china, big lots, long lead times. Heat treating isn't that hard, at least in the states, Bodycote will do it.

Carbon is another option for the smaller guys it at least kind of make sense cost wise at those low volumes, but there's the health risks, environmental concerns, and modeling it to figure out how to make a bike thats light and isn't going to break is harder than steel. You also have the warranty concerns with carbon, both as the company being worried you'll go out of business if you have a defect/design flaw and have to replace half your frames, and from the customer perspective, do you really want to buy a carbon frame that might need to be warrantied from a company with questionable solvency. That just doesn't cross your mind as a consumer when buying steel.

And now all the carbon and Al bikes look pretty samy from 20 feet away, a steel full suspension bike stands out even from far away.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
So that Sherpa was a university project for a guy who now works at zerode.
Have to say props to him. Definitely looked like a one-off. Think this kinda thing is cool and interesting. Reminds me a bit of bcd back in the day.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Have to say props to him. Definitely looked like a one-off. Think this kinda thing is cool and interesting. Reminds me a bit of bcd back in the day.
Agreed. Looking at the finish on the carbon it's definitely not pretty, who knows about production worthy. But as a one off its cool as hell. Would never turn down an opportunity to ride it.