Quantcast

Random new bike thread

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Did you finally get a fork that you like for your hardtail?
Nah, I have developed an obsession with buying every tool I could possibly need for work so if/when I quit I know I'm sorted for whatever I do next, my excessive spending is annoying my boss so that's fun.
In a couple of months I'll be back to buying bike bits, thinking of mulleting the hardtail with a Boost 20mm Selva R, it's been a while since I've bought something stupid and unreliable, ooh I have to send my Archer shifter back, thanks for reminding me.
Comma spliced the shit outta this post.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Nah, I have developed an obsession with buying every tool I could possibly need for work so if/when I quit I know I'm sorted for whatever I do next, my excessive spending is annoying my boss so that's fun.
In a couple of months I'll be back to buying bike bits, thinking of mulleting the hardtail with a Boost 20mm Selva R, it's been a while since I've bought something stupid and unreliable, ooh I have to send my Archer shifter back, thanks for reminding me.
Comma spliced the shit outta this post.
Speaking of mullets I recently bought an unrideable Auron 29 fork (~$330) for my 27.5 hardtail so I can mullet it. Waiting for travel adjust spacers to arrive. I currently have a 27.5 x 2.6 on the front. Despite its internet unrideability I'm happy with the fork thus far; traction, small bump sensitivity and support is pretty good (just like the loam wolf review said).

@roflbox has two of these things IIRC so he would know regarding reliability. The stock medium negative coil spring seems just right for my weight. I remember you were having problems with your durolux and were unhappy with the Z1 as well.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What about "those bikes have reach adjust headsets and are pictured in the shorter setting" are you guys not getting?

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
What about "those bikes have reach adjust headsets and are pictured in the shorter setting" are you guys not getting?

We get it. Still doesn't change that it's fucking ugly looking. It's like that broad with the beyond watermelon sized fake knockers. Everyone has to take a look but most are going WTF?

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
We get it. Still doesn't change that fucking ugly looking. It's like that broad with the beyond watermelon sized fake knockers. Everyone has to take a look but most are going WTF?
You need to come out with a memory carbon fiber composite, or some thermally alterable resin. That way we could have reach adjusting headsets without the unnecessary protruding headtubes.

I'm more than sure Mr. @mtg would have an engineer position for you at GG, that is of you manage to device a way to fulfill the geometry adjust without the aesthetic nuisance.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We get it. Still doesn't change that it's fucking ugly looking. It's like that broad with the beyond watermelon sized fake knockers. Everyone has to take a look but most are going WTF?
I guess it is nice if you are between sizes or don't know what reach you want. Always thought an eccentric BB would be more useful.

El+chupa+nebre+_8b1cde079b2bbbc3e20763dfe6be1221.jpg

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
The new Canyon DH bike is hot. Value is great too. Although, I'm a little skeptical of this....
p3pb19191270.jpg

Not much clearance with those teeth.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Canyon's still cracking like chips? Also they still using the tiny bearings that belong on skateboards as well?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Question for you hardtail riders: my son is going to need a new bike next year, he's almost outgrown his current 24" wheeled Commençal Ramones. I'm wondering whether I could get him him a new-school 29" hardtail (like the Meta HT AM), but put 26" wheels and shorter cranks... My assumption being this would allow me to run it for a few years. As he grows, I could put the 29" wheels back on, perhaps even in a mullet configuration, and longer cranks. Or am I fully out to lunch on that?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Question for you hardtail riders: my son is going to need a new bike next year, he's almost outgrown his current 24" wheeled Commençal Ramones. I'm wondering whether I could get him him a new-school 29" hardtail (like the Meta HT AM), but put 26" wheels and shorter cranks... My assumption being this would allow me to run it for a few years. As he grows, I could put the 29" wheels back on, perhaps even in a mullet configuration, and longer cranks. Or am I fully out to lunch on that?
I wouldn't. Biggest thing is that with a 29er fork, the bars are going to be over his head, plus the BB is going to be stupid low. I like low BBs as much as the next guy, but even with really short cranks, he's going to have a bad time.

Just go on PB and find him a cheap used 26" hardtail. There have to be a ton out there.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just go on PB and find him a cheap used 26" hardtail. There have to be a ton out there.
especially next year when all the Covid purchases are going to lose their lustre... I suppose that's an option. I just find old school 26" bikes have really outdated geometry, and many (most?) don't have disc brakes. But it's still worth a look.

I actually ordered a Manitou Markhor for his current bike. It's an 80mm 26" fork, with a straight steerer, disc brake mounts, and modern internals. I had the travel dropped to 60mm to lower it, and run it fairly soft. I suppose I could put the travel back to 26" and put it on a new bike...

I also still have my old 26" Mojo HD lying around. I just couldn't bring myself to selling it. It needs brakes, but other than that, it's pretty solid. I just wonder how I could lower it enough for it to fit him. The standover on that thing was kinda silly....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The new Canyon DH bike is hot. Value is great too. Although, I'm a little skeptical of this....View attachment 148592

Not much clearance with those teeth.
I never understood why bikes didn't come with the basic protection they needed, not vanity shit like frame tape, but before clutch derailleurs what came on many FS bikes, especially alu and carbon, would never hold up. Also certain DW bikes for the lower link and other stuff on bikes. Clutch derailleurs kind of "derailed" me, but I had half a mind to buy one of those bikes and just run it to the ground and start a warranty campaign for the chainstay.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I never understood why bikes didn't come with the basic protection they needed, not vanity shit like frame tape, but before clutch derailleurs what came on many FS bikes, especially alu and carbon, would never hold up. Also certain DW bikes for the lower link and other stuff on bikes. Clutch derailleurs kind of "derailed" me, but I had half a mind to buy one of those bikes and just run it to the ground and start a warranty campaign for the chainstay.
You didn't like the "wrap a giant, ugly tube around the chainstay" option? I thought that everyone enjoyed trying to keep 1980-2018 bikes from sounding like they were filled with loose change by using small bits of velcro and mastic tape.