Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Also, Privateer recently said their 141 frame is getting close to release.
Not that I am a total fucking dork or anything, but I emailed them about it and they said:

we have a prototype and will be launching later this year, not sure when we will get production yet, but hopefully not too long.

There will be a press announcement fairly soon, so keep watching and when it gets launched be quick! When we put the 161 on the site we had almost 10 orders before we even told anyone it was there.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not bad for the price... But another example of a company having pretty much a full drivetrain of one type and then they go and get cheap brakes.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Not bad for the price... But another example of a company having pretty much a full drivetrain of one type and then they go and get cheap brakes.

Not sure if it's still the case, but in my shop days in the early 2000s the one thing most customers asked about was the drivetrain. Didn't matter if the tires, brakes and suspension were shit as long as it had an XT rear derailleur.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Looks like a solid platform to build on. I’d rock that purple one.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That works for me because nobody specs bikes with brakes I want to run anyway so Id rather they just include cheap placeholders to pass legal requirements

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
BTR have a new DH bike, 10 to be made total, one for the customer who forces their hand in to making the bike, one for Burf (the B of BTR) And 8 left up for grabs.

24620098-7835-47EE-A7EC-1FA6FD371C4A.png

In other BTR news, Tam (the T of BTR) has left the company to focus on his family. Seems like it was all cordial.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
BTR have a new DH bike, 10 to be made total, one for the customer who forces their hand in to making the bike, one for Burf (the B of BTR) And 8 left up for grabs.

View attachment 149241

In other BTR news, Tam (the T of BTR) has left the company to focus on his family. Seems like it was all cordial.
:drool::drool::drool:
Would bang (a lot)

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

View attachment 149241

lots of links and no space for a water bottle

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
we have a prototype and will be launching later this year, not sure when we will get production yet, but hopefully not too long.

There will be a press announcement fairly soon, so keep watching and when it gets launched be quick! When we put the 161 on the site we had almost 10 orders before we even told anyone it was there.
what the shit is this. this is not the bike i was promised

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
what the shit is this. this is not the bike i was promised

Build some credibility from a consumer friendly name, only to spill the beans by making an ebike...

Seriously, the price hikes we have seen on bikes were only done to subsidize/justify the prices of the ebikes. If you compare both, you're getting the batery/motor for free for a similiar spec.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Wow, that's like a quirky indie band going from having a minor hit on college radio to doing Super Bowl half time duets with Celine Dion in the space of six months.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Build some credibility from a consumer friendly name, only to spill the beans by making an ebike...

Seriously, the price hikes we have seen on bikes were only done to subsidize/justify the prices of the ebikes. If you compare both, you're getting the batery/motor for free for a similiar spec.
I understand inflation, but I'm guessing there is some truth to this. A few years ago, there was a reasonable amount of 'value brands' outputting some pretty credible builds in the high $1000's USD to $2500 USD. These were bikes with suspension platforms built of a high end chassis but with the more basic types of damper offering, drivetrain's composing of Deore to in some cases Shimano XT, and for the money reasonable enough cockpits and wheels/tires.

Fast forward to now and I'm struggling to identify any brand perhaps outside of Polygon putting together high value builds and sensible builds.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Don't know what it's like in North America, but without even taking into account the direct to consumer brands, some of the less fashionable companies such as Merida, Cube, Ghost etc. all offer decently speced entry level builds of solid platforms and all of them also make high end specs as well as ebikes. This is a pretty decent deal for 2000€: https://www.merida-bikes.com/en/bike/1973/one-forty-600

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Europe clearly doesn't have the same level of freedum as Murica - none of those brands apart from YT are easily available here.