Quantcast

Random new bike thread

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
No sure how accurate their results are but the CX tires have pretty similar rolling resistance to much larger XC tires, I'd imagine as soon as you hit some soft over hard the XC tyre would dominate the gravel tire.
I wish Ritchey would re-release the old 2.1" Moby Bites, they were a bunch of fun on XC trails.
i rode the old 420g thunderburts all sommer long on my gravel bike. rolls super nice, but is not as supple as a 100g heavier panaracer gravelking sk. those sidewalls are so much nicer

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Pipedream's new Sirius looks pretty decent, you can't ride it on a gravel road though, you'll need a different bike for that.
View attachment 156282

No sure how accurate their results are but the CX tires have pretty similar rolling resistance to much larger XC tires, I'd imagine as soon as you hit some soft over hard the XC tyre would dominate the gravel tire.
I wish Ritchey would re-release the old 2.1" Moby Bites, they were a bunch of fun on XC trails.
Forgot about Moby Bites. My brother had a set of those for road riding circa 1995. Was a blast.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hahaha!

The new Ultra welcomes a fresh generation of riders looking for a modern, versatile steel hardtail that caters those of us that like to get rowdy, go big and rip into no-holds-barred shredding.

Nothing says rowdy like a 68.5deg head angle, welcome to the 90's, Ritchey.

1612855509328.png

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Hahaha!

The new Ultra welcomes a fresh generation of riders looking for a modern, versatile steel hardtail that caters those of us that like to get rowdy, go big and rip into no-holds-barred shredding.

View attachment 156310
To be fair, I think they're trying to mimic bad ass Graveller geo, which as we now know, is the best way to smash the rowdy gnar.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Hahaha!

View attachment 156310
it is what my sov has, with a -1 degree headset in it. That’s 2005 for you! Can still get fairly rowdy with it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To be fair, I think they're trying to mimic bad ass Graveller geo, which as we now know, is the best way to smash the rowdy gnar.
If it's a 29er wheel, you can't buy the kind of skills it takes to endo a wagon-wheel...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
If I were "investing" in a custom hardtail, it would definitely have a gearbox. It would essentially become an any condition, any time, low maintenance machine.
The one (and possibly only) thing I like about my hardtail is the pedaling efficiency. Why fuck that up with a gearbox? ;)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
it is what my sov has, with a -1 degree headset in it. That’s 2005 for you! Can still get fairly rowdy with it.
My 2002 hardtail was 66deg, with a 19.5" ST you knew you were getting rowdy because your spine would start hurting, Hahahaha!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
My 2002 hardtail was 66deg, with a 19.5" ST you knew you were getting rowdy because your spine would start hurting, Hahahaha!
Nice. I recall those days well. My Nicolai was around 65/66 in 5" mode. That was a 2003. Great bike. Why did I sell it?!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dropper posts and modern geometry make hardtails relevant again. I thought a 160mm fork on one would be absurd, but I would call this thing "balanced". I really only take the full squish out when I go for >2.5 hour rides as the hardtail does require more energy.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Dropper posts and modern geometry make hardtails relevant again. I thought a 160mm fork on one would be absurd, but I would call this thing "balanced". I really only take the full squish out when I go for >2.5 hour rides as the hardtail does require more energy.

When did this become the "Pointless Bike Thread"? Go away with all this hardcore hardtail talk, it's a stupid niche that shouldn't exist. If you need that slack of a geometry you surely also need rear suspension. ;) :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When did this become the "Pointless Bike Thread"? Go away with all this hardcore hardtail talk, it's a stupid niche that shouldn't exist. If you need that slack of a geometry you surely also need rear suspension. ;) :D

It is completely relavent as it also performs well on gravel roads. Also a blast for riding around the city.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Time to repent yourself sinners :dirol:
That is freakin' rad, I like to run things till they turn inside out then I like being able to chuck everything in to the recycling bucket and know it will get reused.
Steel for the win, the bike world seems to be getting over the lighter is better BS for the fun disciplines.
I wish we still had a rep button.

Nice. I recall those days well. My Nicolai was around 65/66 in 5" mode. That was a 2003. Great bike. Why did I sell it?!
EDIT- This showed up in my Farcebook Mammaries, 37Lb of fun, hahaha!
.243.jpg

Last edited:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Approved.

Their email blast from a week or so ago said a limited number of completes would be available in You're Up only, and hopefully that implies frames will be more widely available. Also said the Madonna will only be available as a frame only for a while since they can't get parts, kinda the opposite approach from our friends at GG.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Approved.

Their email blast from a week or so ago said a limited number of completes would be available in You're Up only, and hopefully that implies frames will be more widely available. Also said the Madonna will only be available as a frame only for a while since they can't get parts, kinda the opposite approach from our friends at GG.
sale starts thursday at 12pm cet

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
/wonders if the seatpost angle is usable or if it's gone past vertical.

I'll happily buy a metal bike as my next trail bike, but I don't think I want a 78deg SA - but full disclosure, nor have I tried one.