Quantcast

Random new bike thread

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The comments section has been going off! Fake accounts, an employee from Foes calling the Mullet guy on his BS, it just keeps going...
My fav so far -

Vorsprung

2/26/2021 2:56pm

I usually refrain from commenting critically on other companies' press releases, however there is a huge amount of straight up bullshit in there as pertains to physics claims. For starters, a falling rate rear end (ie leverage ratio increasing as the suspension compresses)... about the only thing the suspension/framebuilding parts of the bike industry have broadly come to a consensus on is that a straight up falling rate is really not a good idea. Among a great many other things, on their DSSP marketing page they've got a graph of the "shock characteristic" from Linkage, but evidently haven't realised that graph doesn't have anything to do with the frame, it is a graph of the shock's spring curve that you input into the program. They're also claiming that their singlepivot is inherently superior to other singlepivots, for Reasons (TM). A huge chunk of the talk about handling (taken from their web page) is also just straight up BS, for example the "axle force line" is not a thing. They've got force vector lines drawn all over the place in ways that are meaningless.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
oh damn, that's a quality shit show. i just love seeing marketing wank getting shut down hard.

some excerpts from the website:

Old Single Pivot D.S.S.P.™
FlexLike JelloLike Rock Candy
Brake JackingLike a Bucking BroncoEliminated
Climbs greatWith rebound set too slow for descendingLike a Billy Goat
Descends GreatWith compression set too soft for climbingPoint & Shoot

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
That's some good 2021 internetting over at Vital.

One really bizarre nugget at the website for that Miles Wide Industries is that apparently Dylan Conte was affiliated with them at some point???? He always seemed pretty easy going years ago in the New England race scene. Wonder how he came to work with that whackjob and if he even knows that his likeness and bio is being shilled on the web page.....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'd say it should be called "The Bullshit" after reading this:
Fuuuuckkkk, imagine the exploded diagram you'd need to be able to pull apart a frame with needle and radial bearings!

We're not in to marketing BS, here, have a bunch of trademarked Acronyms.
Mullet bikes- Business up front, Bullshit out the back.

Edit- They use the largest bearings ENDURO make, well what did I use?
1614908899896.png

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Holy shit you're not kidding. This is epic

:popcorn:
Maybe this is just a test program run for trolling bots. That whole thread is just hilarious beyond the normal standards of bike industry stupidity. I mean we have witnessed glorious things like the Udi vs. Santa thread on nsmb, the various Tantrums thrown around here and the Steve vs. Leo comment rumble on YT, but that vital comment section is beyond those.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Regarding Mullet:

I'm calling for a total and complete shutdown of random dudes with credit cards emailing Taiwanese factories until we can figure out what the hell is going on.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so they conveniently don't have their patent # posted, and a trademark search with the USPTO hasn't turned any of their allegedly trademarked terms up....

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I've seen him reference ridemonkey before. Who/what drove him off? He prefers less shimz and excessive lever throw?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thomson is making a Ti hardtail

Do people still buy anything Thomson? I bought their post thinking it would be the best out there, it ended up sagging after less than 200 miles. It costs more to rebuild than to buy a competitors post. I’d have a hard time spending 3100 on a ti hard tail that’s not a moots or whatever

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I like Thomson but I fear they haven’t kept up with the times. They are popular with the Paul’s Components / bike jewelry set. Hence the made in Taiwan ti hardtail.