Quantcast

Random new bike thread

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It was the 4mm kind. Ran it on my DJ (probably what killed it) and then trail bike where it finally died one ride. It actually made it back to the carpark (gently) with just the one clamp but yeah I guess everything aluminium and weight optimised will eventually fatigue and die.
Wait, you use Thomson and weight optimized in the same sentence? :rofl:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It was the 4mm kind. Ran it on my DJ (probably what killed it) and then trail bike where it finally died one ride. It actually made it back to the carpark (gently) with just the one clamp but yeah I guess everything aluminium and weight optimised will eventually fatigue and die.
Thanks for the heads up. Also have one on my dj bike... will inspect regularly.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Wait, you use Thomson and weight optimized in the same sentence? :rofl:
When they came out their seatposts put pretty much every aluminium conventional railed post to shame.

Then I think they just stopped making new developments.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
From what I understand Thomson is an aerospace part manufacturer that makes bike parts for fun.

A friend of mine is their support rep for a lot of their 5 axis CNC machines. They give him free bike parts when he visits.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
yup. and agreed with toodles. my stem is not the style that seems to break...and it's now on the wife's bike which gets ridden lightly around the neighborhood, so i'm not too worried...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
real question is, does she have a good one on me? i'm the one charging into les rox on the dethmachine with @kidwoo-disapproved crabon barz!
take care of those who take care of you

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
When they came out their seatposts put pretty much every aluminium conventional railed post to shame.

Then I think they just stopped making new developments.
True, their Masterpiece seatposts are light and durable. There are lighter aluminium options though and were at the time (Tune comes to mind). But here you were talking about their stems and they were never the lightest for the durability. Syntace Megaforce existed and was lighter when Thomson came out with their stem. Only the 1.5 Thomson stem was the lightest option for this given application.
I am not hating on Thomson, I own quite a couple of their stems and seatposts, mainly because of the durability and the fact that they are made in the US. However, only the Masterpiece seatpost I would qualify as lightweight product.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I have a Thomson X4 50mm stem that's been on at least 4 different trail bikes and currently on a drop bar bike, where it will probably stay for a while. Aside from the DX platform pedals (that at one time or another have been on literally every bike I've owned over the last 15 years) that stem has stood the test of time better than anything else. I hope it never fails, it's just a beautiful component.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I have a Thomson X4 50mm stem that's been on at least 4 different trail bikes and currently on a drop bar bike, where it will probably stay for a while. Aside from the DX platform pedals (that at one time or another have been on literally every bike I've owned over the last 15 years) that stem has stood the test of time better than anything else. I hope never fails, it's just a beautiful component.
In a similar boat. Mine have been on for about 10 years. One of my favorite components on the bike.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Same here. It was my go to stem for years but I did not like the drop to 3mm bolts. Their seatposts were also my 1st choice before switching to remote droppers.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Same here. It was my go to stem for years but I did not like the drop to 3mm bolts. Their seatposts were also my 1st choice before switching to remote droppers.
3mm bolts is unusual. Did they do that for a specific product or is that current Thomson spec? My X4 is probably 11 or 12 years old and has 4mm bolts.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
3mm bolts is unusual. Did they do that for a specific product or is that current Thomson spec? My X4 is probably 11 or 12 years old and has 4mm bolts.
I was told by a Thomson rep that they had issues with people overtorquing their stems, so they decided to minimze the risk by reducing the hardware diameter. That way you would rather snap the bolt than damaging the rest of the stem.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I was told by a Thomson rep that they had issues with people overtorquing their stems, so they decided to minimze the risk by reducing the hardware diameter. That way you would rather snap the bolt than damaging the rest of the stem.
Snap that bolt? More like round out the head I'd say.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
I'd like SRAM more if they brought back their woodgrain pattern parts.
those derailleurs may as well have been whittled out of wood, they were so snappy.

but cheap(er) axs is interesting. tho really want to see shimano get into the wireless game. slx level wireless pls.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
In a similar boat. Mine have been on for about 10 years. One of my favorite components on the bike.
Out on a ride today, I took a photo of my stem to show you folks how well it’s still running many years on. Got home and looked at the photo and I can’t believe my eyes:

2DF4448E-8DFB-4226-9ED4-2E58E6C2A9C5.jpeg

Dang. It’s only on one side. Guess it’s time for a new stem!

thanks for the heads up @toodles

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
You totally went and checked on them didn't you.
Yes! Having unlimited access to our bikes is an underrated aspect of teleworking. :)

Full disclosure: I didn't check my 1.5" Thomson stem that's been sitting in my usused parts bin for the last 12 years or so. I just assumed this one is fine as well... ;)