Quantcast

Random new bike thread

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Out on a ride today, I took a photo of my stem to show you folks how well it’s still running many years on. Got home and looked at the photo and I can’t believe my eyes:

View attachment 157637

Dang. It’s only on one side. Guess it’s time for a new stem!

thanks for the heads up @toodles
I just checked my records and I put this stem on in 2006... so 15 years in June... fwiw.

DSC00363.JPG

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Looks like the Thomson 50mm I used to own I bought from a David Gar0nz1k on here in December 2008. But I also think I sold it to @Fool about 10 years ago. So if he dies from a Thomson 50mm stem failure I'm blaming the David guy (anyone know who that is? :D)

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Lucky for you I survived ownership, and that cursed item is now the folly of the craigslist guy who bought my Bottlerocket 3 or 4 years ago

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Well, they haven't been ridden before those pictures were taken, that's for sure...
I always forget to take a pic before riding new toys. Or I've put old bashed up pedals or something on an otherwise new bike. Or both.

I'm always envious of the sweet photos some people have of new shiny toys, but I'm too useless to get them myself.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Or I've put old bashed up pedals or something on an otherwise new bike. Or both.
That was the first comment I got from the girlfriend about the last bike I built, "ew you're going to put those gross looking used pedals on this brand new bike?"

WELL YEAH, they're red (kinda)!

:rofl:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ya, but can you really say that the first good scratch does not hurt just a little bit?
My new Nukeproof came frame wrapped, and having never had a frame wrap I didn't realise and clamped the top tube in the work stand. No real damage but it made the wrap go all wrinkly and stupid looking. God dammit.

A few years ago a buddy crashed on his first ride with brand new kashima 40s and took a rock to the stanchion. He literally just went back to the car in silence and went home.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My new Nukeproof came frame wrapped, and having never had a frame wrap I didn't realise and clamped the top tube in the work stand. No real damage but it made the wrap go all wrinkly and stupid looking. God dammit.

A few years ago a buddy crashed on his first ride with brand new kashima 40s and took a rock to the stanchion. He literally just went back to the car in silence and went home.
Brand new fork actually damaged is the SUCK.

Years and years ago, a friend brought out his brand new never ridden Norco Shore, complete with Hammersmidt crank and Totem. Thing was nice.

We had just built a new ten foot drop, but no one had done it yet.

Another friend said hey ill do the drop if I can do it on other buddies new bike. He agreed and guy rode it up to the drop, slipped a pedal something fierce and ghostrided that new bike right off the drop, sending it tomohawking.

No damage, but the owner of the bike turned white and looked like a walking dead man. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Brand new fork actually damaged is the SUCK.

Years and years ago, a friend brought out his brand new never ridden Norco Shore, complete with Hammersmidt crank and Totem. Thing was nice.

We had just built a new ten foot drop, but no one had done it yet.

Another friend said hey ill do the drop if I can do it on other buddies new bike. He agreed and guy rode it up to the drop, slipped a pedal something fierce and ghostrided that new bike right off the drop, sending it tomohawking.

No damage, but the owner of the bike turned white and looked like like walking dead man. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
A few years ago, I wrecked hard on my new DHR, first day on the bike, first day of the DH season. Twisted the lowers of a new-to-me Boxxer beyond repair, that was fun. A brand spanking new 888 was ordered pronto, that probably saved my life. :D

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
A few years ago, I wrecked hard on my new DHR, first day on the bike, first day of the DH season. Twisted the lowers of a new-to-me Boxxer beyond repair, that was fun. A brand spanking new 888 was ordered pronto, that probably saved my life. :D
I forgot to mention that Sandwich wrecked on the bike with the new 888 shortly afterwards. :D

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Ya, but can you really say that the first good scratch does not hurt just a little bit?
My son (then 3 years old) got jealous when he learned I was leaving for a 4-day alpine trip. He took a hammer from the toolbox and proceeded to whack the left stanchion of my brand new Marzocchi 350 fork. I had just finished installing it.

I looked at him, then looked at a patio chair, took a deep breath and then decided it would be better to kick the darn chair into my neighbor's backyard, instead of my kid.

Then I realized I was using the stupid chair to hold my toolbox.

TL/DR: I finished polishing the stanchion and recovering almost all the tools from the tall grass -that I didn't care to mow before- at 1 AM. I was leaving for the trip at 4 AM that same night.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
stanchion issues are way over-fussed about. all of my forks get scratches shortly after being installed. none have leaked oil. all have functioned well. none have failed catastrophically. ymmv.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Not a new bike, but a random one. A nice random bike.
Interesting lines in there. Hey @kidwoo

Anyway the brakes are mindblowing. They've ruined all other brakes for me. Stupid power, zero issues (except for that one time I forgot how to install Goodridge lines—cut me some slack, I hadn't done it in 15+ years). I'm firmly in the you-can't-have-too-much-power-I'll-modulate-with-my-fingers camp. You have to work for a whole year to afford these brakes, and then wait another year to receive them, but I guarantee that these brakes will give everyone else brake envy for at least ten years.
You finally ordered your set of Deutsche Qualitätsarbeit?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Those LAST bikes are sexy and light... hows the durability on them?
It's German so they probably have the number system that other companies use, jumps no longer than........ Drops no larger than.......
If you go outside the frame's intended purpose it will report to HQ and you will be poisoned with knobachoc the following day.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Those LAST bikes are sexy and light... hows the durability on them?
Their alloy frames have been around for a pretty long time and their reputation is not bad. Which says none about the crabon pink pleasure pictured here ofc.