Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
despite being a person who seems to accumulate linkages on their bikes over time, I have a fondness for well designed single pivot bikes. They can be 90% as good as a linkage bike but are just so darn simple, reliable, and predictable. Why take such a design and then tack on a floater (which really isn't necessary) and an idler, but leave the linear, mildly progressive shock rate (which would give the highest impact on performance)?

Rigidity and limiting the lateral forces to the shock.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
IMO Avid mechanicals were only tolerable on a hardtail going really slow back in the day, and in light of how undependable hydros were at the time.

Gross is just my overall opinion of Paul's man jewelry products.

is that a technical term? Anyone actually use them? Remember avid mechanicals being quite workable for trail riding.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
IMO Avid mechanicals were only tolerable on a hardtail going really slow back in the day, and in light of how undependable hydros were at the time.

Gotcha.

Loving my Paul Boxcar stem :P First Paul product and it’s quality.
E6580A15-E395-4171-9F24-044F2582FD5E.jpeg

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm just being a jerk on the internet, and I do think that stem looks OK.

But overall, I'd say Paul products are designed more for the retrogrouch, NAHBZZ, and bikepacking / Radavist use than for gravity.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

w00dy had a great set that were incredibly powerful, even on a DH bike. Every other set I felt was hot trash.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm just being a jerk on the internet, and I do think that stem looks OK.

But overall, I'd say Paul products are designed more for the retrogrouch, NAHBZZ, and bikepacking / Radavist use than for gravity.
I have very slight retrogrouch leanings, so there's that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
w00dy had a great set that were incredibly powerful, even on a DH bike. Every other set I felt was hot trash.
I felt like Avid's compounds for their mech brakes were ultra-grippy. At slow speed and on flats, you were surprised by how much "power" they had. That same compound would overheat and glaze over like no one's business on anything resembling real DH. Under hard DH use, the brakes essentially fell apart.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I felt like Avid's compounds for their mech brakes were ultra-grippy. At slow speed and on flats, you were surprised by how much "power" they had. That same compound would overheat and glaze over like no one's business on anything resembling real DH. Under hard DH use, the brakes essentially fell apart.
I tried not to ride his bike on real downhill trails. It was even more janky than my own shit... It did feel good in the lot though...

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I had a 303R for 5 seasons with no issues from the rail. I pushed in new grease and cleaned the rail after each ride; I'd imagine if you didn't maintain it well it could turn into a PITA.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
ok, i give up. what does all that do, actually? all i can decipher is hydraulic head tube angle adjustment, but there *has* to be more to it...