Quantcast

Random new bike thread

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
That looks like a suspension/frame system similar to the KDSS developed by Kinetic Suspension that uses interconnected hydraulic actuators and accumulators to allow for decoupling frame motions more than a traditional system.
More simply, with that system you can run Indy car roll stiffness with rock crawler articulation without active suspension.
As an experimentation project, that is badass that somebody adapted the idea to a bike frame/suspension like that.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
That looks like a suspension/frame system similar to the KDSS developed by Kinetic Suspension that uses interconnected hydraulic actuators and accumulators to allow for decoupling frame motions more than a traditional system.
More simply, with that system you can run Indy car roll stiffness with rock crawler articulation without active suspension.
As an experimentation project, that is badass that somebody adapted the idea to a bike frame/suspension like that.
just to have a bike that can morph into mostly any shape, weighs 53kg though (that’s over 100 freedom units for the less educated)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Obviously it wouldn’t make sense as an actual bike (weight, cost, torsional rigidity) but as an experiment, much nerding could be done.

More importantly you could probably get people riled up in the "what's wrong with the industry" thread by claiming it is a new product.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
I was pleasantly surprised by the prices and builds. Sticking to high end suspension throughout and going lower price point with other components seems good to me. Compared to some big brand names you get a lot for your money here.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I mean by business. He’s designed a bunch of bikes, any successful?
Mondraker, UNNO are the two off the top of my head. I believe he did other development/consulting as well with bigger companies as well. I mean no offence to major brands with their slow updates, smurf GEOs and the same boring suspension systems they have used for 20-30 years. But DW has done more for suspension than most of them combined and he never really designed for any Huge Corporate brands. Does that mean his designs aren't valid?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Mondraker, UNNO are the two off the top of my head. I believe he did other development/consulting as well with bigger companies as well. I mean no offence to major brands with their slow updates, smurf GEOs and the same boring suspension systems they have used for 20-30 years. But DW has done more for suspension than most of them combined and he never really designed for any Huge Corporate brands. Does that mean his designs aren't valid?
Naw, but everything he touches doesn’t turn to gold either.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Didn't DW do some stuff for Trek and Giant?

O right..

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So I thought the "aero" seatmast was dumb AF...but what a great idea when you think about it- a square dropper post would never twist. You could run bearings on the front and back to make for a rock solid setup (instead of bushings and keyways). No rattle....might start a proprietary battle for STANDARDS but that's a part that could be easily integrated and still allow for adjustability.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
So I thought the "aero" seatmast was dumb AF...but what a great idea when you think about it- a square dropper post would never twist. You could run bearings on the front and back to make for a rock solid setup (instead of bushings and keyways). No rattle....might start a proprietary battle for STANDARDS but that's a part that could be easily integrated and still allow for adjustability.
Didn't your beloved BMC make a deal with Eighpins to have integrated dropper posts on various models?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
you are asking for a new, non round seat post standard?

let me show you your future:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
He was in a lawsuit with Giant too. He claimed Giant stole his desing to "improve" the Maestro suspension system.
the story was: giant called dw, dw showed the dw link, giant after showing interest did not license the dw link, they came up with their own identical version. This led to the lawsuit.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A guy I used to ride with has started a company that makes* Ti hardtail frames and they look pretty damn nice.
Owner/Designer-
Rad.jpg

1621149122173.png

1621149185085.png

1621149623424.png

*Not sure who does the fab work.

EDIT- Got told he has 13 of the frames above ordered and some of the gravel BS frames and some fat thing on order too.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I like the look of it, but at 6'2" the L looks a bit small and the XL goes a bit too long maybe?

Plus I'd be wearing out a couple of idlers a year with the way they wear out...

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Kavenz has a nice high pivot with custom-ish geometry (reach, seat tube and head tube can be customised)
DSC01057-Edit.jpg

No carbon, welded in Germany, if that matters to you. 2500 euros without shock.
FWIW

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I like it too. Good luck getting your hands on a frame anytime soon though.
nah I'm not getting one anytime soon, mostly just curious. I've always wondered how much of a PITA having an idler on a trailbike is. The druid checks a lot of boxes, but there are other frames that are less complex that are nice too. I'm a ways out from any new frame though.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Canfield had to do titanium idlers on their Jedi DH bikes to get them reliable. I keep wondering what these new crop of idler bikes are using for that spinny thing and if not ti, how long are they lasting?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Canfield had to do titanium idlers on their Jedi DH bikes to get them reliable. I keep wondering what these new crop of idler bikes are using for that spinny thing and if not ti, how long are they lasting?
From reading the empty beer druid thread, not long enough.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Stolen from the Knolly patent piece on PB. @hamncheez from PB is starting his own titanium frame brand:

Some swoop to that too tube would look good the bike has astetic potential but that top tube needs to angle down a smidge and swoop up a bit to seattube..

I think it's co...I like ti...