Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Stolen from the Knolly patent piece on PB. @hamncheez from PB is starting his own titanium frame brand:

llil bit falling rate. Air should be "ok", coil would be hell no. I generally like these concepts, but damn, suspension needs to be a primary concern. This isn't nearly as bad as some of them though, the rear shock eyelet should pass through the vertical a little after max stroke.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The value comparison is ridiculous. And arguments about 'quality' etc are fast falling by the wayside as the Box brands just get better and better.
I like that new demo...has my curiosity I also like the commencal DH...I think your right they develope and push the envelope. production can easily get better with a little attention. I like idler setups anywase...love the way the worked on my Jedi ....man full float while braking in nasty chutes...loved it at brundige and tamarack..

I want to see how they do on these...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
if there was ever a time when a kill list was justified...looks like a mondraker and an orange had a three-way with a zerode and a knolly stopped by to get in on the action.
And one of those Polygon/Marin R3ACT monstrosities finished it off.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
13.75"/13.5" bb height. does that really require 165mm crank arms?
I *think* Transition designs its bikes to run well with lots of sag. If I'm not mistaken, they're recommending 28-35% for these? And that can get pretty low. I just installed 165mm cranks on my 2016 Patrol, that I run at 35% sag. Not smashing my pedals all the time has been a revelation. I just need to get my spinning legs back.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I *think* Transition designs its bikes to run well with lots of sag. If I'm not mistaken, they're recommending 28-35% for these? And that can get pretty low. I just installed 165mm cranks on my 2016 Patrol, that I run at 35% sag. Not smashing my pedals all the time has been a revelation. I just need to get my spinning legs back.
i'm about 6'1" with long legs. 165 cranks (which i used to run) feel like riding a kids bike to me.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i'm about 6'1" with long legs. 165 cranks (which i used to run) feel like riding a kids bike to me.
5'9 here, with short legs (28" inseam). Agree about it feeling weird. Moar of my experience on the 165s here fwiw.
I'm about 5 rides in with 165mm cranks (down from 175mm). I didn't change anything to my cassette (9-42 XO 11speed).

I noticed a decrease in peak torque in steep, technical climbs. There was one rooty, rocky climb in particular that I can carry momentum into, then stall, then crank the fuck up the rest. I could make it on the 175, but with the 165 I couldn't get that torque down. But those scenarios are few and far between.

I've found I have to spin more when climbing, and that 42t cog isn't as easy as it used to be. I've always been more of a power climber, and less of a spinner. But I'm also beginning to find I can actually spin better with the shorter cranks, not just because the circle my feet have to move is smaller, but because the angle at my hips is more open. I have short legs (28" inseam), and I think the longer cranks were simply physiologically harder for me to spin.

I think I might look into switching that 42t cog to a 44t, but otherwise I'm really happy with the new setup. Not smashing my pedals, and being able to pedals through chunder and out of corners quicker is a real benefit. I also somehow find the bike more playful overall.

Last thing: from what I've read on various sites, the difference in ultimate power delivery between cranks as short as 155 and as long as 205 was something like 4%. So overall, not much difference.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
5'9 here, with short legs (28" inseam). Agree about it feeling weird. Moar of my experience on the 165s here fwiw.
the only time i ran them was out of necessity. i had a custom DH frame that was like a 12.625" bb height.

nowadays all my bikes are 175 cranks except my DH bike which has 170s.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The funny thing about some 165 cranks from back in the day was the length was exactly the same as a 175, they just drilled the hole in a different spot... so while the pedal was 10mm up, the crank arm was not :)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The funny thing about some 165 cranks from back in the day was the length was exactly the same as a 175, they just drilled the hole in a different spot... so while the pedal was 10mm up, the crank arm was not :)
Indeed. I made sure to measure mine to ensure that was not the case.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Looking at you FSA V DRIVE EXTEME! aka extremely bent! Damn it is amazing we survived those years.