Quantcast

Random new bike thread

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What's 10,000 Canadian units converted to south of their border freedum tokens?

I wonder if I can get 50% off if you live near Kamloops - younger brother can go collect me one.

edit: 8000 freedum beer tokens for the "cheap" one, 10,300 for the snooty version.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I think it looks great, but despite being a big WAO fanboy, am disappointed in a few things. 1) no framesets, and no customization in the 2 build kits. 2) no info on leverage curves, anti-squat, wheel path, etc. For a new bike maker, I think they owe it to the customer to prove that the design is good. 3) no MX option for us vertically challenged people.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think it looks great, but despite being a big WAO fanboy, am disappointed in a few things. 1) no framesets, and no customization in the 2 build kits. 2) no info on leverage curves, anti-squat, wheel path, etc. For a new bike maker, I think they owe it to the customer to prove that the design is good. 3) no MX option for us vertically challenged people.
Framesets have been on the way out for a while. Classic "ain't no one got time for that". Why buy and build up a frame when you can just ride an e-bike, right? Most of the people buying bikes want to be disconnected from the bike, as in they just want a bike-package that works and if it doesn't, they will sell it and buy another one...rather than building the bike the way you want and the way it will work for you from the ground up. We are dinosaurs in a brave new world.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, they're not offering a cheap build kit, but those are actually a very good deal compared to most other bikes with a similar spec.

Looks pretty awesome.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Superboost. :no:
The WAO is indeed expensive, but comparing the specs with the top end Santa Cruz, Yeti, Pivot, Specialized, Rocky Mountain, etc., I'd almost say the price is "reasonable".

The Superboost rear-end and the short-ish travel are the only two negative for me...and the fact that I am between sizes, again.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I had hoped to be more impressed with the WAO, lots of sharp shapes/edges, kinda meh overall aesthetically imo, nothing really exciting about the suspension platform.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
On the upside, the frame may feature low observability by radar.
Lol...That's why it's so pricey....I thought it was just another bike that was overpriced and for riding..this feature brings a whole new level of usefulness, like half the attachments on my swiss army knife I'm still not sure what they do 10 years later...but I still wanted em..
In that case it's cheap and can see getting one...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
People are serving 5 years for spra
Yeah, they're not offering a cheap build kit, but those are actually a very good deal compared to most other bikes with a similar spec.

Looks pretty awesome.
The WAO is indeed expensive, but comparing the specs with the top end Santa Cruz, Yeti, Pivot, Specialized, Rocky Mountain, etc., I'd almost say the price is "reasonable".

The Superboost rear-end and the short-ish travel are the only two negative for me...and the fact that I am between sizes, again.
yea, its a high price tag, but its not out of line for what the spec is, especially when you consider the frame, rims, and bar are all CF made in Canada, whereas man of the comps are from Asia.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'd have gone rearward vertical or stop just before vertical , bring that lower link up the seat stay. Idler pulley for brake jack and chain growth..figure if you're going to go this far finish it off ...he obviously has the skills
Just a thought...

Love the water bottle cage...that was a good addition..fast hard DH no need for camel back.

Been seen already but the bike check whistler had this guy's bike on...pretty badass.
Screenshot_20210803-135524_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd have gone rearward vertical or stop just before vertical , bring that lower link up the seat stay. Idler pulley for brake jack and chain growth..figure if you're going to go this far finish it off ...he obviously has the skills
Just a thought...

Been seen already but the bike check whistler had this guy's bike on...pretty badass.View attachment 163002
a DH bike with a bottle cage is actually pretty awesome.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The paint job on that looks very cool.

Is cerakote the stuff they put on guns?
Yeah, Cerakote started as a gun industry thing, and it's fucking impressive stuff. Nearly as durable as powdercoat, but way, way thinner and easier to do stencils with. Not sure why it isn't more popular in the bike industry TBH.

a DH bike with a bottle cage is actually pretty awesome.
Yeah, that's pretty neat-o. Sucks wearing a man-purse full of water at the bike park, but it sucks more having to go find a drinking fountain every other run.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, that's pretty neat-o. Sucks wearing a man-purse full of water at the bike park, but it sucks

The park I go to has a line of trees right next to the lift line that stays shaded throughout the day. Lots of riders (myself included) stash water bottles/containers under these trees.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, Cerakote started as a gun industry thing, and it's fucking impressive stuff. Nearly as durable as powdercoat, but way, way thinner and easier to do stencils with. Not sure why it isn't more popular in the bike industry TBH.
Because it's not as durable as powdercoat?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I really liked my grey anodized Banshee Spitfire.

Absolutely didn't have to worry about scuffs and other worries of paint.

If you scratched it, you done fucked up big time like surfing it on a rock.