Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not saying it can’t be done, just that it hasn’t/ won’t be. Lefty is a good example of what’s possible. All the shock yokes are good examples of not.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
The 2 upper links that are not joined make me think it's going to have a lot of flex half way into travel. Carbon may help but this was my only complaint for my Canfield Riot.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
The GMBN Instagram had a story yesterday about it. I expected them to lengthen/slacken/lower it. Instead of all of that, they just put a porta-sandwich in the downtube and called the day off.

Seriously, Orbea needs to get on board of the shorter seat tube bandwagon once and for all.
bs, like i said.

qed.

but wait, there’s more…

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Huh? They did a lot more than put in a snack box.
HTA: 0.5 degrees slacker
STA: 1.5 degrees steeper
Reach: about 30mm longer
CS: about 5mm longer
progressivity: about 24% instead of 10%

BB isn't super high or low at 343 - seems well rounded for a race bike in potentially chunky terrain with 160mm rear travel.

The head angle seems to be right at what most EWS racers are choosing to run.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm confused by Blister's and Singletrack's reviews. On Singletrack they say the L size was fitted with a 170mm dropper, while the XL should sport a 200mm one. The tester said he measures 1.78M, and had to expose about 2cm of dropper to have the 170mm dropper and saddle at his right height, on the size L frame. He says a 200mm post should be overkill for the L size, given the dropper would have to bottom against the seatpost clamp. If the published geometry is accurate, I would be able to accommodate a 200mm dropper on a L sized frame, given now I'm running a 150mm on a R4 frame with a 485mm seat tube.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm confused by Blister's and Singletrack's reviews. On Singletrack they say the L size was fitted with a 170mm dropper, while the XL should sport a 200mm one. The tester said he measures 1.78M, and had to expose about 2cm of dropper to have the 170mm dropper and saddle at his right height, on the size L frame. He says a 200mm post should be overkill for the L size, given the dropper would have to bottom against the seatpost clamp. If the published geometry is accurate, I would be able to accommodate a 200mm dropper on a L sized frame, given now I'm running a 150mm on a R4 frame with a 485mm seat tube.
You can bottom a 200mm Transfer to the collar in all sizes, but that doesn't mean that someone riding any given size is going to have long enough legs to clear it. And if you order the bike from Orbea, you can choose which dropper length you want on any given size.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
so is every non linkage fork ever made
sorry, any time somebody makes the hurr durr airplane strut argument, that's where my ape brain goes.

I don't think there's any reason it can't be done right, it just isn't done right. Too much sideloading etc. If you're going to make the shock a wear item, at least make it easily replaceable

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
sorry, any time somebody makes the hurr durr airplane strut argument, that's where my ape brain goes.

I don't think there's any reason it can't be done right, it just isn't done right. Too much sideloading etc. If you're going to make the shock a wear item, at least make it easily replaceable
You should see some of the dumb trunion shock shit they've been doing.

That bike doesn't look too bad to me. Obviously it's better if you can take some of that off with a linkage, but along those lines, the leverage curve of that thing is likely far more offensive than the structural shortcut.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

That bike doesn't look too bad to me. Obviously it's better if you can take some of that off with a linkage, but along those lines, the leverage curve of that thing is likely far more offensive than the structural shortcut.
I think it looks great, super clean and reduces moving parts by doing what they did...but I think the moving parts make the system stiffer, smoother, and more efficient, so whaddayagonnado. Plus getting replacement parts is going to be a challenge.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
should fit, dealer vid said emphasis was on fitting longer seat posts in the new frame

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

looks decent
1631239403904.jpeg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh yeah, this thing….

Apologies, the Orbea also has a shock extender which can snap shocks.
F-no. Such a dumb idea to not be able to quickly change shocks or be tied to certain parts. He claims it uses all off-the-shelf parts, but just simple shit like being able to take a shock off to put on a standby so you can work on one or send it in, it's never worth it to go down this proprietary road in the long run. Plus he is claiming some kind of magical kinematics, but it's not very complicated...not to mention it loses out on lateral rigidity up top. If I wanted a lighter bike, I'd get one of the flex-stay bikes. If I wanted a stiffer bike, I'd get a dual-link bike.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Nukeproof to the mixed wheelsize market. Gotta admit as a Mega 275 owner I'd love to have gotten a 297 if they were out when I bought mine.

This statement on their website is a nice touch, but looks like it with just be the rear end available for the 290s as that is gonna be the cheapest way to retrofit one (no fork needed)

"Don’t despair if you are a current V4 Mega or Giga 290 owner, later in the year Nukeproof will offer an MX kit for owners who wish to convert their current bike)."

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Nukeproof to the mixed wheelsize market. Gotta admit as a Mega 275 owner I'd love to have gotten a 297 if they were out when I bought mine.

This statement on their website is a nice touch, but looks like it with just be the rear end available for the 290s as that is gonna be the cheapest way to retrofit one (no fork needed)

"Don’t despair if you are a current V4 Mega or Giga 290 owner, later in the year Nukeproof will offer an MX kit for owners who wish to convert their current bike)."
Why?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, the new Rocky Element was released today to the public. I have one reserved if I want it for next summer, but I just don’t know if I would be happy with just 120mm of travel for my daily driver. It would also need a piggyback shock and a 140mm fork, which I have. Decisions. I am assuming there will be no chance in hell of taking a demo out for a proper rip before committing in this environment. I know these short travel bikes have gotten way better, but that much better?

Every other detail/geo is just about perfect.
41ECE56E-8521-4A8C-8E43-F5090F77DBFC.png

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
So, the new Rocky Element was released today to the public. I have one reserved if I want it for next summer, but I just don’t know if I would be happy with just 120mm of travel for my daily driver. It would also need a piggyback shock and a 140mm fork, which I have. Decisions. I am assuming there will be no chance in hell of taking a demo out for a proper rip before committing in this environment. I know these short travel bikes have gotten way better, but that much better?

Every other detail/geo is just about perfect.
View attachment 165368
oooooh - going for the no cables option, i see!