Quantcast

Random new bike thread

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So, the new Rocky Element was released today to the public. I have one reserved if I want it for next summer, but I just don’t know if I would be happy with just 120mm of travel for my daily driver. It would also need a piggyback shock and a 140mm fork, which I have. Decisions. I am assuming there will be no chance in hell of taking a demo out for a proper rip before committing in this environment. I know these short travel bikes have gotten way better, but that much better?

Every other detail/geo is just about perfect.
View attachment 165368
that did catch my eye, as that kind of bike is very suitable for the majority of my local trails.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
So, the new Rocky Element was released today to the public. I have one reserved if I want it for next summer, but I just don’t know if I would be happy with just 120mm of travel for my daily driver. It would also need a piggyback shock and a 140mm fork, which I have. Decisions. I am assuming there will be no chance in hell of taking a demo out for a proper rip before committing in this environment. I know these short travel bikes have gotten way better, but that much better?

Every other detail/geo is just about perfect.
I've got a carbon Smuggler (120R/140F) and it is really impressive what it can cover. I changed the stock DPS for a piggyback DPX2 and just a Pike 2.1 RC2 up front. I've used it for everything from 100km marathon XC events (not really a race bike, but gets the job done) to short course XC to Enduro racing. The only limiting factor on that bike is the horrible tyre clearance on the back - a 2.3" aggressor has only got about 5mm clearance around it.

They're not bulldozers obviously but those shorter travel aggro bikes are heaps of fun - I reckon go for it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
They're not bulldozers obviously but those shorter travel aggro bikes are heaps of fun - I reckon go for it.
Yeah agreed. I had a 2017 carbon Scout and that thing was a blast. Did everything on it and enjoyed it, though I did up the fork to 150mm on it. But man that thing was light and a blast to ride.

But....I think it was maybe too light or something or maybe I was just riding too rough of trails on it. It ended up cracking around the bb and there were numerous other hairline cracks in the paint around all the bearings...

I'd do it again..

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah agreed. I had a 2017 carbon Scout and that thing was a blast. Did everything on it and enjoyed it, though I did up the fork to 150mm on it. But man that thing was light and a blast to ride.

But....I think it was maybe too light or something or maybe I was just riding too rough of trails on it. It ended up cracking around the bb and there were numerous other hairline cracks in the paint around all the bearings...

I'd do it again..
I had one of the 2015 (?) Alloy scouts with a 150mm Pike. Probably the most fun bike I've ever owned - used it for every kid of riding imaginable. Broke two swingarms though. They beefed them up a heap when they went to the SBG geo but I never owned one of those. The new Scouts look damn good, but I wonder if they're not now too slack and burly to be as fun as they were.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
New Chilean titanium manufacturer coming out of stealth mode:

View attachment 165385
View attachment 165386

Geometry and kinematics look OK, although 3990 USD for the frame without shock puts them right into dentist-only territory.

Never understood the point of titanium for a full suspension frame. It of course depends on the design but I thought aluminum was superior in weight, stiffness and cost. It may make sense for custom built frames as you can better get away with non custom butted toobz.

Also I was hoping the swoopy toobz trend had died.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Moar expensive and moar flexy
I had a Moots Mootaineer in ‘01. 3-4.5” of travel, retailed for about 7k (I got it at proform), and it was the flexiest bike I have ever ridden. When the bushings got contaminated, it sounded like an angry, rabid chicken. But holy hell, did I have parking lot legitimacy for 6 months Until I sold that crap for more than I paid.
1633053783389.jpeg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I had a Moots Mootaineer in ‘01. 3-4.5” of travel, retailed for about 7k (I got it at proform), and it was the flexiest bike I have ever ridden. When the bushings got contaminated, it sounded like an angry, rabid chicken. But holy hell, did I have parking lot legitimacy for 6 months Until I sold that crap for more than I paid.
View attachment 165449
Proof that Moots can also make ugly bikes! Dunno why people liked this one.
Best looking Ti FS bike has to be the Litespeed Ocoee FS that looked like a Turner Burner in Ti.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think I might be poopdecking this one or was that the ebike version?

anyways, lets add to the eye bleeding already going on on this page...

This integrated seat clamp is one of the changes Pole has made since we first saw this prototype in spring. It not only makes the frame cleaner but means Pole is less reliant on parts from the Far East to get frames out of the door.
I don't understand that quote - did they take the time to machine an entire bike frame but were still buying seat tube clamps from China or something? Couldn't they, ya know, use their machines to make those seat clamps? :confused:

Routing new cables through that frame must be a nightmare...

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

I don't understand that quote - did they take the time to machine an entire bike frame but were still buying seat tube clamps from China or something? Couldn't they, ya know, use their machines to make those seat clamps? :confused:

The good news is they still have in-house cracks generation as a feature:

Last edited:

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
jesus. would be (mildly) amusing if he didn't know about the crack. nerds of the internet to the rescue?

also - re: the moots - does the bottom shock mount clamp to the wee tube brace? ie, adjust the leverage rate by sliding the clamp fore & aft? brilliant! i mean, apart from the fact it's janky af.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Does that Bullit come in root beer?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
also - re: the moots - does the bottom shock mount clamp to the wee tube brace? ie, adjust the leverage rate by sliding the clamp fore & aft? brilliant! i mean, apart from the fact it's janky af.
yes, that’s precisely how it was intended to work. But honestly, with so much flex in those spindly Ti sea tubes and seatstays, I don’t really know if I could tell much of a difference. It was a long time ago, and that was cutting edge technology!