Quantcast

Random new bike thread

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
After the internal cable routing I just pulled off, I'm pretty sure I am now...
Hell yeah....lmao
Us crack Drs need to unite...there's cracks to be pillaged, filled and well let's face it...we are guys and like to stick things in holes.

BTW what routing did you do??? I haven't done internal yet...it's a standard between now and my hiatus..

Shit...hate it when I read after and think I see the answer which then turns out it isn't so I feel good about asking before reading again...man this site has me emotionally up and down....I need a Xanax now

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hell yeah....lmao
Us crack Drs need to unite...there's cracks to be pillaged, filled and well let's face it...we are guys and like to stick things in holes.

BTW what routing did you do??? I haven't done internal yet...it's a standard between now and my hiatus..
Lets just say, even though this frame has a dedicated internal port in the HT for a dropper post, it was absolutely the hardest routing I've ever done. It was a "go-F-yourself" afterthought. Harder than my fat-hardtail, and that doesn't even have internal dropper routing, I used the front derailleur port and pushed the cable around the BB and it was pretty hard, but nothin like this. Moar tomorrow likely.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Lets just say, even though this frame has a dedicated internal port in the HT for a dropper post, it was absolutely the hardest routing I've ever done. It was a "go-F-yourself" afterthought. Harder than my fat-hardtail, and that doesn't even have internal dropper routing, I used the front derailleur port and pushed the cable around the BB and it was pretty hard, but nothin like this. Moar tomorrow likely.
This is what I've heard but haven't had the pleasure of getting mad at yet....look forward to seeing the ride.

pe6u

Chimp
Apr 19, 2013
from Pole's Pinkbike bike check: "The biggest change for Joe will be an increase in BB height of 20mm over his regular Stamina 180. Pole believes this makes the bike easier to corner, which could be useful on Innerleithen's tight trails." I tought low center of weight helps turning, what am I missing?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
from Pole's Pinkbike bike check: "The biggest change for Joe will be an increase in BB height of 20mm over his regular Stamina 180. Pole believes this makes the bike easier to corner, which could be useful on Innerleithen's tight trails." I tought low center of weight helps turning, what am I missing?
Guessing for a tight course a higher BB would offer more opportunities to pedal?

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
low bb is more stable, but requires more effort to turn in. higher bb is better for quick transitions. not that i've a/b tested this myself. now that we've got lots of stability from long wheelbases & slack angles, sounds like people are are now tinkering with added nimbility (tm) through raised bbs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pedaling through turns may be what you are missing on low BB bikes...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
High BB’s worked really, really well back inna day with Eastern Woods Research, Beast Of The East, and other bikes made for the tight and twisties. Granted, back then, on many, many trails, you would encounter dozens of logs to pedal over, not really the case anymore. It used to be a vital skill.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
High BB’s worked really, really well back inna day with Eastern Woods Research, Beast Of The East, and other bikes made for the tight and twisties. Granted, back then, on many, many trails, you would encounter dozens of logs to pedal over, not really the case anymore. It used to be a vital skill.
@Fool still loves riding over those log piles

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was doing a wheelie-practice ride last week on my GG and pedaling on some completely flat asphalt in a turn when I scraped my PD-530 pretty bad. I was thinking "come on! that's just ridiculous low!", no good reason to be that low...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I kinda miss those log piles frankly.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I was doing a wheelie-practice ride last week on my GG and pedaling on some completely flat asphalt in a turn when I scraped my PD-530 pretty bad. I was thinking "come on! that's just ridiculous low!", no good reason to be that low...
Smash? I've never wanted a taller BB on that bike, even with a 150mm fork.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I knew a guy that sold acid and drove around a primered out '54 oval window bug with purple ground effect lights and a license plate that said FRY TOY. He wound up in prison after getting pulled over transporting a book of acid across state lines.