Quantcast

Random new bike thread

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Trying to work out if this would be too much bike for my mom, most stepthrough/mixte bikes look like rolling turd sandwiches with shitty geo and 3 front rings.
I'd rather the Tektro brakes on the cheaper one over the Shitmanos on this-
1638269746459.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think the bike looks ok, but yeah who are you buying the bike for @HardtailHack , your mom or yourself? :p

Unless she has mobility issues I don't really see why you'd need a dropper post on that type of bike. Just added weight and more maintenance for something that might not even get used much.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I dunno, if she's mobile enough to ride I could see that being useful to make getting on the bike easier and then having the saddle at a proper height for actually pedaling versus way too low like most bikes of that ilk.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
A dropper is a good shout for anyone elderly and less mobile. As is an Ebike though. And there are even fairly light affordable upright ladies step thru Ebikes now.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
No joke, baskets and panniers make a city bike waaaay more useful. throw your purse and a water bottle in there and you're set for a quick run to the coffee shop, corner store, wherever. Makes "planning" your trip much easier, and using your bike as an alternative to the car much more feasible. So whatever you recommend, make sure it can take a basket (at least) and a rack.

I've found that for most people, disk brakes are overkill that increase cost. Only exception being for people that intend to ride in all conditions, and/or have big hills to contend with.

Those big cushy tires will be smooth and comfortable, just not ideal for longer rides.

So it seems it really depends on what she wants to use it for. Maybe we should have started there!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I think the bike looks ok, but yeah who are you buying the bike for @HardtailHack , your mom or yourself? :p

Unless she has mobility issues I don't really see why you'd need a dropper post on that type of bike. Just added weight and more maintenance for something that might not even get used much.
My mom, I was looking at the Kona Cocos but there is no stock from what I can see.
She is almost 70, has had double knee replacements and hasn't ridden a bike for 30+ years.
The kona has rack mounts so I could do an E conversion if needed later on, I don't have the funds to buy a decent E-bike at the moment.
The dropper can be removed if it's not needed.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What geometry "should" a woman's upright city bike have?

And you seriously don't think that thing looks turdy?
It's pretty much 50 shades of brown
I have no idea what my parents will get up to, my old man complained that his flat bar would get the speed wobbles at 70km/h, so I got him a roadie with better geo and he's happy.
Mom probably won't ride like a dickhead but dad will no doubt steal her bike for some fire road riding so I figure I may as well buy something that puts you in a decent pedaling position when the seat is up.
A lot of the women's bikes are knee demolishers like this-
1638300944924.png

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
What mtb components are on there other than the dorado, stem and hub?

Looks ideal for exploring and carting stuff about when trail building. Probably pretty fun for testing large jump lines as well.

but the line between e-bike and e-mx is going to get very blurry soon.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I guess you would not approve of this either.

Too bad, lots of fun.
I love mini motos. Grew up mucking about on a 50 and then an 80. Even when I got older and got proper motos and bikes, I still love smashing the mini motos into rutty turns. There's definitely a lot to say for the blatant disregard for safety you can have when the bikes are small and not silly powered. Racing the little 110 mini bikes in a muddy field with a esky of beer and a bunch of mates is right up there for a great way to waste a day.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Damn why does the cool color only come with the crappy build kit. Normally it's the other way around. I wish the AL5 came with the AL6 build kit.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Damn why does the cool color only come with the crappy build kit. Normally it's the other way around. I wish the AL5 came with the AL6 build kit.
The AL5 is the cool color? AL6 looks good to my eyes :P

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
canfield jedi is back as a 29'er. actually looks pretty good, prices aren't totally insane.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
canfield jedi is back as a 29'er. actually looks pretty good, prices aren't totally insane.

2300 frame set is practically a steal these days