Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
pre-order price, but yea. even at $2600 with an ohlins ttx it's good price.
My Foes was $2600, which again, seems pretty dang reasonable for a frameset, compared to $3500-4000 Asian carbon fiber stuff. I mean, if US manufacturers can do this and turn a profit, I'll buy aluminum all damn day.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My Foes was $2600, which again, seems pretty dang reasonable for a frameset, compared to $3500-4000 Asian carbon fiber stuff. I mean, if US manufacturers can do this and turn a profit, I'll buy aluminum all damn day.
Foes are still US made, i don't believe the canfields are anymore unfortunately.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Seems like good ole aluminum is making a comeback. I could understand the argument for carbon if there was a considerable weight savings? All these new trailbikes are mostly north of 30 and even pushing 40, why go carbon?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Seems like good ole aluminum is making a comeback. I could understand the argument for carbon if there was a considerable weight savings? All these new trailbikes are mostly north of 30 and even pushing 40, why go carbon?
I think stiffness to weight is still reigning supreme with CF. Whenever I see someone comparing CF rims to alu and the weight is similar, the alu is always "a little narrower", it trues up like a noodle compared to the CF, it's simply extruded aluminum and less material=less stiff, or more material=stiffer, but heavier of course. There are situations where they can be close and it's not practical to make a structure out of CF, like a stem, but the other thing I expect is that the process gets refined and the price comes down, like it did with aluminum manufacture, hydroforming, etc. That **** isn't happening for the most part with CF. There are some exceptions, like buying a few bits direct, but when a CF frame costs $3999 and the equivalent aluminum is around half of that, then yeah, I have to start wondering. The benefits go down significantly when the cost is out of control IMO. Like original Envy wheels for $2500 or whatever. Hard pass.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
19mm of total rearward axle path, but then the article states that 16mm of that is used just getting to the sag point. Doesn't leave much for smashing into rocks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for DH i think a big part is cost. nobody is selling enough DH frames to justify the cost of a CF DH bike. even trek went back to all alloy for the new session.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I think stiffness to weight is still reigning supreme with CF. Whenever I see someone comparing CF rims to alu and the weight is similar, the alu is always "a little narrower", it trues up like a noodle compared to the CF, it's simply extruded aluminum and less material=less stiff, or more material=stiffer, but heavier of course. There are situations where they can be close and it's not practical to make a structure out of CF, like a stem, but the other thing I expect is that the process gets refined and the price comes down, like it did with aluminum manufacture, hydroforming, etc. That **** isn't happening for the most part with CF. There are some exceptions, like buying a few bits direct, but when a CF frame costs $3999 and the equivalent aluminum is around half of that, then yeah, I have to start wondering. The benefits go down significantly when the cost is out of control IMO. Like original Envy wheels for $2500 or whatever. Hard pass.
I'm on the Lithium. The fram is within a lb of carbon bikes in its class. The headtube gussets and clamshell bottom bracket makes for a very stiff bike. Compared to previous Canfield bikes that were a little to a lot flexy. Funny thing is most carbon bikes around my way are outfitted with NX or SLX drivetrain and heavycomponents. My bike is the same weight or lighter.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm on the Lithium. The fram is within a lb of carbon bikes in its class. The headtube gussets and clamshell bottom bracket makes for a very stiff bike. Compared to previous Canfield bikes that were a little to a lot flexy. Funny thing is most carbon bikes around my way are outfitted with NX or SLX drivetrain and heavycomponents. My bike is the same weight or lighter.
There's got to be some production breakthroughs in the pipeline though for CF with something like 3D printed molds that allow you to relatively rapidly prototype and change things up, as compared to jigging and all of that aluminum welding stuff.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Will there be a limit as to how light an aluminum bike can be? Anyone remember those Trek Sessions with the paper thin down tubes?

With the weight of carbon frames increasing a little, I think we've already seen this happen to them, maybe? You can only go so light before things start to flex and twist or move forces to other parts of the frame, before things start to crack and become malformed over time.

The Transition Scout carbon frame is a good example. The size large 2017 version weighed 6.2lbs. The size medium 2020 version weighs 7.05lbs.

I wonder why they increased the weight so much? :p

I had the 2017 version and it ended up cracking around the bottom bracket and had what looked like many other small micro cracks else where...

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
There's got to be some production breakthroughs in the pipeline though for CF with something like 3D printed molds that allow you to relatively rapidly prototype and change things up, as compared to jigging and all of that aluminum welding stuff.
I don't doubt it. The brand I prefer on does aluminum. And my only complaint was flex, which was solve without much weight penalty, in the end carbon will probably be king.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
The reason for that flex was not the triangles though, it was the design of the links.
I've ridden a balance and it was a little flexy (compared to carbon) Nothing like the Riot thought. The clamshell designed BB area and bridge on the seatstay along with the the one piece upper link. The Lithium is quite stiff.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Will there be a limit as to how light an aluminum bike can be? Anyone remember those Trek Sessions with the paper thin down tubes?

With the weight of carbon frames increasing a little, I think we've already seen this happen to them, maybe? You can only go so light before things start to flex and twist or move forces to other parts of the frame, before things start to crack and become malformed over time.

The Transition Scout carbon frame is a good example. The size large 2017 version weighed 6.2lbs. The size medium 2020 version weighs 7.05lbs.

I wonder why they increased the weight so much? :p

I had the 2017 version and it ended up cracking around the bottom bracket and had what looked like many other small micro cracks else where...
I think the geo on modern trailbikes has necessitated weight increases though too. The leverage from a big single crown on a 64deg HTA must be very different from a 67deg from a few years ago.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Did anyone actually ride the scout with a 140mm fork though? All the ones I saw, including my own, were running a 150mm fork. :busted:

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Jedi frames are fare more complicated to assemble/weld than any trail frame or probably any production DH frame. There is a lot going on in there and numbers aren't huge, so that pricepoint is impressive these days.