Quantcast

Random new bike thread

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Xprezo did aluminium front and steel rear triangle. That was interesting. I never saw one in the flesh but maybe some of you in Canada did? How did they ride?
I've got one. Gathering dust right now, but was a great bike. Again, some sort of juju with that compliant rear end (possibly / maybe tracking a bit better through chunky corners). Or not. Looks neat though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've got one. Gathering dust right now, but was a great bike. Again, some sort of juju with that compliant rear end (possibly / maybe tracking a bit better through chunky corners). Or not. Looks neat though.
mine still gets ridden. i'm actually in the process of putting 275 wheels in it. and yes, i do like the ride quality of the alu front and steel swingarm

@jstuhlman i actually have about 1.8 furaxes'. :brows:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
i suspect there were some questionable design and/or material choices when it came to corsair. i wouldn't necessarily blame the factory for the issues from what i recall about how they fail. remember: just because something is built to spec doesn't mean the spec is good.
Still, painting a frame that was already cracked has to come down to the the QC at the factory.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I think I am going to go ahead with the 120mm regressive mullet downcunty bike, thinking an Ohlins TTX2 air would possibly suit.
1652595938653.png

I can't draw a dually very well.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Can you get it with a yoke to ensure the shock reliability matches the support?
Is the reliability and support shit? The dealer in Aus is a pretty decent shock tuner and I think they have a pretty decent rep.
I know zip about shocks so if there is anything that is suited to a slightly digressive leverage rate(that isn't a Fox) I'm all ears.
I'm not looking for suspension perfection, just something to take the edge off the high speed stuff that nails my old body.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
from what i can see, bb shell has some cutouts for a removable iscg adapter
Yeah seems I missed that bit, I take back my harsh words. It looks like really good value, has Foes not heard of Covid?
  • Replaceable ISCG05 mounting plate.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I think I am going to go ahead with the 120mm regressive mullet downcunty bike, thinking an Ohlins TTX2 air would possibly suit.
View attachment 176435Did you
I can't draw a dually very well.
Sweet! Who’s building it for you? 150mm with an external lower cup might need the longest steerer tube ever. You got a new fork for that?

If you only need 120mm then you don’t HAVE to go the regressive route unless you want to. Why regressive? Just for the looks so you don’t have the shock angled down? For ease of construction around the seat tube/shock bolt?

The new Ohlins air shock feels nice and the coil version feels even nicer. Your rebound valving still won’t like the regressive curve but maybe 120mm is not enough travel to have a big issue? I loved my Transition Smuggler which was linear af.

@Westy Haha!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sweet! Who’s building it for you? 150mm with an external lower cup might need the longest steerer tube ever. You got a new fork for that?

If you only need 120mm then you don’t HAVE to go the regressive route unless you want to. Why regressive? Just for the looks so you don’t have the shock angled down? For ease of construction around the seat tube/shock bolt?

The new Ohlins air shock feels nice and the coil version feels even nicer. Your rebound valving still won’t like the regressive curve but maybe 120mm is not enough travel to have a big issue? I loved my Transition Smuggler which was linear af.

@Westy Haha!
TOR bikes in Australia, I think there was a link further back.
It's pretty much an off the shelf design with a couple of small tweaks, I can't afford much customisation.......or the stock one really.

Current hardtail has a 150mm HT, I don't like spacers on steerer and a 130mm travel 29er fork gets me to a stack height that slows my hands going numb.
Different sweeps do nothing to help with numbness and I like a 5deg back/up handlebar a bit narrower than the norm.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
TOR bikes in Australia, I think there was a link further back.
It's pretty much an off the shelf design with a couple of small tweaks, I can't afford much customisation.......or the stock one really.

Current hardtail has a 150mm HT, I don't like spacers on steerer and a 130mm travel 29er fork gets me to a stack height that slows my hands going numb.
Different sweeps do nothing to help with numbness and I like a 5deg back/up handlebar a bit narrower than the norm.
Nice! Those are beautiful.

Ah ok, I run high rise bars for the same thing, I think.

I bet you could squeeze a trunion shock in there and get a bunch more progression outta that thing. The way he does the rear shock bolt looks like it leaves enough room. I’m not pro Trunion but I am pro good leverage ratios.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Nice! Those are beautiful.

Ah ok, I run high rise bars for the same thing, I think.

I bet you could squeeze a trunion shock in there and get a bunch more progression outta that thing. The way he does the rear shock bolt looks like it leaves enough room. I’m not pro Trunion but I am pro good leverage ratios.
Yeah I was wondering about that but I thought it would really load up the other bushing, a spherical bushing at the front might help.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
The single pivot with regressive LR just isn't worth it.
Convince the builder to do a linkage driven single pivot. Copy the Nukeproof Giga / Dissent layout. It's no more difficult to build than a classic single pivot and you'll get a LR that doesn't suck and still have room for a bottle off the bottom of the toptube.

I built this one in 2018.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The single pivot with regressive LR just isn't worth it.
Convince the builder to do a linkage driven single pivot. Copy the Nukeproof Giga / Dissent layout. It's no more difficult to build than a classic single pivot and you'll get a LR that doesn't suck and still have room for a bottle off the bottom of the toptube.
Doesn't need to be linkage, they just need to place the shock so that the rate isn't all F-ed up. Either tilt the front of the shock down, or move the rear eyelet triangle back and use an interrupted seat-tube...well that 2nd one is probably what is F-ing it all up for these simple steel bikes, everyone wants a 230mm dropper and you have to get fairly creative to create a rising rate otherwise, but it can be done, by the first method.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Doesn't need to be linkage, they just need to place the shock so that the rate isn't all F-ed up. Either tilt the front of the shock down, or move the rear eyelet triangle back and use an interrupted seat-tube...well that 2nd one is probably what is F-ing it all up for these simple steel bikes, everyone wants a 230mm dropper and you have to get fairly creative to create a rising rate otherwise, but it can be done, by the first method.
And I didn't mention yokes because...fuck yokes.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Because I want a mullet with less BB drop and less travel the shock will probably have to be moved down a bit anyway.
I just want a shiny weird bike so I can sip lattes at the trail head and talk about how cr-mo bikes have soul and whatnot, might get a bright yellow Jersey that is three sizes too small too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Because I want a mullet with less BB drop and less travel the shock will probably have to be moved down a bit anyway.
I just want a shiny weird bike so I can sip lattes at the trail head and talk about how cr-mo bikes have soul and whatnot, might get a bright yellow Jersey that is three sizes too small too.
mmmm overstuffed bratwurst

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
As you tilt the forward shock mount lower you need to account for moving the DT forward. Bend DT, or a pocket needed.

A friend built this one in 2018. Get's 2.7 to 2.5 LR progression on 150mm travel.

The main pivot location also affects the amount of progression available.

This one with it's more reward main pivot gets about the same progression but needs more shock angle to get it.

See Radavist for image.

The DT takes a lot more force in these layouts, important to make you you have a beefy tube, or reinforce sufficiently with the shock mount.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
It looks like they are using the Chris Currie 3VO suspension on that proto Meta.

Chris is the guy that originally started the Speedgoat shop.

Info on his suspension design here.

It's used on the Jamis Portal.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I've posted an up-to-scale superposition of the 22 Meta SX over the new one in the Vital rumors thread.
Assuming it's the same size, they seem to have brought back some numbers (shorter wheelbase and chainstays, steeper HA (64), a few mm higher BB). The BBs are lined up horizontally and the seat tube clamps end up at the exact same spot.

meta2023.jpg

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've posted an up-to-scale superposition of the 22 Meta SX over the new one in the Vital rumors thread.
Assuming it's the same size, they seem to have brought back some numbers (shorter wheelbase and chainstays, steeper HA (64), a few mm higher BB). The BBs are lined up horizontally and the seat tube clamps end up at the exact same spot.
I really liked the 2020 Meta AM more than the 2021 (longer slacker) when I tried them, so interesting if they have slightly reverted. Although my local trails are definitely tighter and twistier rather than high speed stuff.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It looks like they are using the Chris Currie 3VO suspension on that proto Meta.

The fuck?
"120mm-160mm – Falling Rate Tuned to Swallow Larger Impacts but Resist Bottoming"

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The fuck?
"120mm-160mm – Falling Rate Tuned to Swallow Larger Impacts but Resist Bottoming"
indeed! well tuned bullshit generator on this one...

I really liked the 2020 Meta AM more than the 2021 (longer slacker) when I tried them, so interesting if they have slightly reverted. Although my local trails are definitely tighter and twistier rather than high speed stuff.
Looking at Commencal's numbers I would go for a small on their 2021-2022 models. I am usually a medium guy on most brands at 175cm tall.
Funny how things change since I remember considering a large Commencal 10 to 15 years ago to get a longer bike but was put off by the tall seat tube

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
indeed! well tuned bullshit generator on this one...
Yeah it's really odd-

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Oh, interesting. Almost worked for Chris many moons ago. Good to see his designs landed somewhere cool!

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I have a 2020 and was wondering if I would install a -2* headset, but honestly it feels perfect already so I'm going to keep this money for something else! I'd be curious to try a '22 to see the difference.