Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I like the new Last Bikes "Glen" frame, each size has a unique rear triangle, the effective STA steepens on larger sizes rather than slackening like many other frames. They also machine the bearing recesses in Germany after paint so you know your bearing are pointing where they should be and aren't pressed in over paint.
I like everything Last have put out in the last years, from the Kickstarter hardtail project to the Coal and now this. I used to embarrass myself in front of the guys running the company during my unsuccesful attempts at BMX when they were working on their first dirtjump frame. Good people and I can see myself buying from them in the future.

"We need to think up a new suspension design?"

"hmm..."

:lighten: " what if we were to fit both the links to the top of an old Ironhorse 6 point? " :lighten:

"yeah... That'd prolly do"

:drag:
Pretty straightforward rocker actuated single pivot actually and preferrable to a yoke imo. I dig it.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I know. I was kiddin'
We can never tell with you Gary, we can never tell.

Regarding that last emoji of yours: that couldn't be further from the truth for these people. One of the Last guys once asked us why it wasn't possible to smoke our weed with cardboard instead of tobacco.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
For a DH bike, that curve looks a bit :s

Better hope your coil has a bottom out bumper starting at 50% of stroke.

....or is it supposed to be air only, sorry about the pics?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
For a DH bike, that curve looks a bit :s

Better hope your coil has a bottom out bumper starting at 50% of stroke.

....or is it supposed to be air only, sorry about the pics?
No, look at the starting value and ending value, that's a progressive "curve", a portion of it is regressive, but the overall curve is progressive. It still looks to be better set up for an air shock, and may have some weird characteristics deep in the travel with a coil, but that's overall progressive, 3.5 to 2.4. The graph also looks funny because it's "smooshed". What the bike will probably suck at is break-away for the air-shock, since right off the bat it's climbing fast (the LR). It's still a head-scratcher for a DH bike.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
@Jm_
I understand that.
I was making a stupid joke about the regressive part at the end requiring a large bottom out bumper to compensate
Guess I should have worded it better and broken out the smileys.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wonder if Scott use normal size shock bolts yet or do they still use pissy little ones that snap in half?

upload_2019-7-19_20-11-33.jpeg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Without the tacky Hope bits I think this would look okay, custom geo, 3D printed bits and you can get it in titanium-

1564219608496.jpeg

EDIT- I take that back, looks like someone has run in to something and then just slapped a new downtube in it.
1564220167960.jpeg

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm no fan of Specialized the company, but Specialized bikes are pretty damn sorted these days. Pricing is getting pretty steep though.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not all that new and is currently sold out but I think this would be one of the best do it all frames out there-
Sliding dropouts aren't my thing but everything else looks the goods!
1565437517784.jpeg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Half of you nerds are color blind, the other mostly wouldn’t know the first thing about putting colors together. Let’s go on ridemonkey and argue about colors!