Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
tho if you're just building a mule, seems welded alu would be much easier than developing the required technologies to do this. if they're messing with entirely new materials / techniques i'm thinking they're going to be deployed in some production form at some point in the future. unless the skunkworks division has a boatload of discretionary cash, and they're just dabbling in exotica for funsies. which is also entirely possible.
Not new materials or techniques for Speshy. Very reminiscent of the Ti lugged/carbon tubed Epic Ultimates that were all made in Morgan Hill in the early 90's when the Atherton crew were still snot nosed kids.

1393802173861-4jkcccv4v72z-06e5e16.jpg

A slew of benefits to making carbon frames this way rather than cutting molds for each size. Speshy has a carbon lab in Cally which could easily make the tubes, I would not doubt it if they have some additive manufacturing machines there as well to make the lugs. This thing could be developed and prototyped in the US....it could even be produced here. :eek:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
One thing is for sure, the specialized bike will be far more complicated than necessary.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Not new materials or techniques for Speshy. Very reminiscent of the Ti lugged/carbon tubed Epic Ultimates that were all made in Morgan Hill in the early 90's when the Atherton crew were still snot nosed kids.

View attachment 178721

A slew of benefits to making carbon frames this way rather than cutting molds for each size. Speshy has a carbon lab in Cally which could easily make the tubes, I would not doubt it if they have some additive manufacturing machines there as well to make the lugs. This thing could be developed and prototyped in the US....it could even be produced here. :eek:
A buddy of mine had a carbon tube/ lugged Miyata in the early 90's Pretty cool bike for its day

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
One thing is for sure when this ever goes into production with a carbon lugged frame, they will charge above 10 grand for it

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
tho if you're just building a mule, seems welded alu would be much easier than developing the required technologies to do this. if they're messing with entirely new materials / techniques i'm thinking they're going to be deployed in some production form at some point in the future. unless the skunkworks division has a boatload of discretionary cash, and they're just dabbling in exotica for funsies. which is also entirely possible.

I could save them a ton of money, and time and just get them some Blow and $1000 per night women to party it up every weekend. It would be more productive and way more fun......

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 4.59.17 AM.png

"

The Nucleon 16 is a high-pivot 29er enduro bike with a mullet option in the 160 to 180 mm travel category that uses a new type of shifting technology: the Supre Drivetrain from Cedric Eveleigh’s Canada-based development company LAL BIKES. Our earlier Nucleon models, such as the Nucleon DH or the Nucleon Evo, also utilized alternative shifting concepts and combined them with a high-pivot suspension design. These bikes used a modified 14-speed ROHLOFF gearbox with the axle positioned at the level of the swingarm pivot point well above the bottom bracket. A primary drive to the gearbox and a secondary drive from the gearbox to the rear wheel were required. Suspension and shifting performance, robustness and durability of the early Nucleon bikes were excellent. However, the gearbox, including the housing and design-related additional components, caused a weight disadvantage. And even the precise, high-quality ROHLOFF transmissions never quite matched the efficiency of a derailleur system when shifted under load.

Anyone who has followed our brand over the past 25 years has probably come to a certain conclusion over time: You can recognize a Nicolai at first glance. Machine aesthetics. Form follows function. Brutal design. – So shaped one probably rubs one’s eyes at first sight of the new Nucleon 16: Extruded tube cross-sections, a head tube gusset with ports for internally routed cables, an integrated bash guard and a stylish seat tube brace with an integrated clamp. Design also seems to have played a role alongside engineering in the voluminous rear end with its wide phases and dynamic lines. Kalle Nicolai provides the following explanation: “”Life is change. Regardless of our traditions, with the Nucleon 16 we have constructed a completely new bike for a wide audience.””

The Nucleon 16 is designed as a 29er, but can also be ridden as a mullet with a 29er wheel in front and a 27.5er in the rear. The geometry is based on our Geolution Trail concept: a relatively long reach, 490 mm in size M, combined with a 78.3 ° steep seat angle provides a sporty, central riding position and an optimal load distribution between front and rear wheel. The chainstay length grows with the different frame sizes and thus ensures a good balance. The head angle of 64 ° is slightly more moderate than on the extremely flat race enduros of the NICOLAI G series. This allows for more agile handling without significantly compromising running stability and high-speed behavior. The Nucleon wants to be fun, fast and agile. Whips and scrubs are part of that. The extremely low top tube provides plenty of clearance with a standover height of 668 mm and encourages an all-action riding style. Whether enduro, all-rounder or freerider depends finally on the riders. With the Nucleon 16 in any case all gravity and speed fans will have a exceptionally potent base."

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
View attachment 178890

"

The Nucleon 16 is a high-pivot 29er enduro bike with a mullet option in the 160 to 180 mm travel category that uses a new type of shifting technology: the Supre Drivetrain from Cedric Eveleigh’s Canada-based development company LAL BIKES. Our earlier Nucleon models, such as the Nucleon DH or the Nucleon Evo, also utilized alternative shifting concepts and combined them with a high-pivot suspension design. These bikes used a modified 14-speed ROHLOFF gearbox with the axle positioned at the level of the swingarm pivot point well above the bottom bracket. A primary drive to the gearbox and a secondary drive from the gearbox to the rear wheel were required. Suspension and shifting performance, robustness and durability of the early Nucleon bikes were excellent. However, the gearbox, including the housing and design-related additional components, caused a weight disadvantage. And even the precise, high-quality ROHLOFF transmissions never quite matched the efficiency of a derailleur system when shifted under load.

Anyone who has followed our brand over the past 25 years has probably come to a certain conclusion over time: You can recognize a Nicolai at first glance. Machine aesthetics. Form follows function. Brutal design. – So shaped one probably rubs one’s eyes at first sight of the new Nucleon 16: Extruded tube cross-sections, a head tube gusset with ports for internally routed cables, an integrated bash guard and a stylish seat tube brace with an integrated clamp. Design also seems to have played a role alongside engineering in the voluminous rear end with its wide phases and dynamic lines. Kalle Nicolai provides the following explanation: “”Life is change. Regardless of our traditions, with the Nucleon 16 we have constructed a completely new bike for a wide audience.””

The Nucleon 16 is designed as a 29er, but can also be ridden as a mullet with a 29er wheel in front and a 27.5er in the rear. The geometry is based on our Geolution Trail concept: a relatively long reach, 490 mm in size M, combined with a 78.3 ° steep seat angle provides a sporty, central riding position and an optimal load distribution between front and rear wheel. The chainstay length grows with the different frame sizes and thus ensures a good balance. The head angle of 64 ° is slightly more moderate than on the extremely flat race enduros of the NICOLAI G series. This allows for more agile handling without significantly compromising running stability and high-speed behavior. The Nucleon wants to be fun, fast and agile. Whips and scrubs are part of that. The extremely low top tube provides plenty of clearance with a standover height of 668 mm and encourages an all-action riding style. Whether enduro, all-rounder or freerider depends finally on the riders. With the Nucleon 16 in any case all gravity and speed fans will have a exceptionally potent base."

paging @HAB to the weird phone, we found your next bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
apparently Nicolai approached LAL AFTER they announced it. there's still another company that LAL is working with, but it looks like Nicolai will be the first to market with this drivetrain.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Me: let’s get rid of these flexy creaky single crown enduro forks.

Also me: no, not like that…

pretty sure this will be for the e-brigade.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Why? Polished coating stanchions have been done for a long time. My 888 had nickel coated aluminum.
Not sure, I guess it just makes me think of cheap Walmart bike forks.

I am not against USD dh forks as I really liked the way a Dorado felt as well as ease of maintenance.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not sure, I guess it just makes me think of cheap Walmart bike forks.

I am not against USD dh forks as I really liked the way a Dorado felt as well as ease of maintenance.
RS had the polished gold TiNi that would flake off. Replaced with “slippery silver”. All that shit is mainly gimmicks IMO, but whatever, it can work.

Unless we are talking 10” of travel and you need it for the bushing overlap, I think companies that do USD forks are just being lazy, as they are inferior for MTB purposes, unless you do some exotic costly engineering and production that is better invested in right side up in the first place.