Quantcast

Random new bike thread

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Chainstay lengthening on my current gen Norco Shore doesn't cause a noticeable issue when climbing, only the weight/travel do. It's not as extreme of a rearward axle path as a lot of other designs, ~13mm of growth.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When FTW had that “variable axle path” VST project going under Sinister I never got much of chance to climb anything on it(big travel mule be like that)
The feeling of the rear end getting MUCHO longer under some circumstances didn’t take all that long to get used to though.
still bums me out that bike never made it to production. how much longer until the patent expires?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
you mean like a Sinister?
Broooooo, linkage activated single pivot isn’t a Lawill rear end, at all, yeah?

Somewhere out there is my old R9, with an avy cart in a coil 35mm boxxer and a real firm tuned avalanche dhs, driven by a custom short shockstay to drop the bb and slacken out the headtube(65 hta with an 8” fork and 10”
of rear travel isn’t exactly slack, but...) it last spotted on a bikepath in western ma.
Such an epic, epic, epically balanced race bike by the time Frank moved on to the F-series.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
It was so so good seeing 5? frameworks bikes on the shuttle at the same time at Rock Creek yesterday, especially knowing Neko and Logan are in Ecuador right now racin’.
I watched a RAAW fall off the shuttle trailer yesterday, and used that as an opportunity to take an up close look. The Madonna is definitely dope looking, but not as dope as seeing Eastcoast built race bikes out in numbers again at a local bikepark.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
It was so so good seeing 5? frameworks bikes on the shuttle at the same time at Rock Creek yesterday, especially knowing Neko and Logan are in Ecuador right now racin’.
I watched a RAAW fall off the shuttle trailer yesterday, and used that as an opportunity to take an up close look. The Madonna is definitely dope looking, but not as dope as seeing Eastcoast built race bikes out in numbers again at a local bikepark.
That’s sick! 5 bikes, wow.

@Happymtb.fr Longer, less progressive and maybe a tit hair more AS. They’re both very adjustable though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Suspension has no place as a structural component on a bike. It will never work.

1676568363019.png

Bike designers should have learned a lesson from the automotive industry with the abject failure of the Macpherson strut.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'd rather replace bushings than shocks.
I've had 5 bikes from 2 different manufacturers with trunnion mount shocks and zero issues. I'll take a brand that can make straight frames - not saying that Transition can't, every other bike they make but the Spur has a trunnion shock.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've had 5 bikes from 2 different manufacturers with trunnion mount shocks and zero issues. I'll take a brand that can make straight frames - not saying that Transition can't, every other bike they make but the Spur has a trunnion shock.
I've had frames that ate bushings monthly and shocks yearly. Execution is usually more important than specific design decisions. Unfortunately execution is hard to measure on the internet, but that never stopped anyone from making conclusions.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I think part of the reason the linkage is so complex on the Scott gambler is to take side load off the shock. It’s certainly not to get a specific leverage ratio or to save space.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
you actually can

That's too convoluted to be called a real solution. I helped a friend install one of those in a Santa Cruz Hightower and I still think it'd be easier to just hacksaw the front of the frame and glue it again.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sort of, those things use EC bottom cups, so if you don't want to jack up your front end you need to reduce travel.
Not sure how much that adds to the stack, but slackening the HA 1.5 degrees will lower the front end about 6mm so having some added stack is required to keep things the same.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
My Sentinel 1 had trunnion and was fine. Smuggler 1 was eyelet and fine. My GG is eyelet and has heavy wear on the sides of the bushings. Hasn't smoked the shock yet, but it's an EXT with a pretty burly shaft.

My point is that you can get frames with shitty alignment from supposedly reputable manufacturers, and it's far cheaper to replace an eyelet bushing than a whole shock. I wouldn't NOT buy a bike with trunnion, but I'd prefer they don't.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
My Sentinel 1 had trunnion and was fine. Smuggler 1 was eyelet and fine. My GG is eyelet and has heavy wear on the sides of the bushings. Hasn't smoked the shock yet, but it's an EXT with a pretty burly shaft.

My point is that you can get frames with shitty alignment from supposedly reputable manufacturers, and it's far cheaper to replace an eyelet bushing than a whole shock. I wouldn't NOT buy a bike with trunnion, but I'd prefer they don't.
Which is worse? Trunion or a shock extender?