Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To be fair, they are more reliable overall and you don't have to fuck around with air pressure all the time. Looking at you Manitou Mastodon.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
To be fair, they are more reliable overall and you don't have to fuck around with air pressure all the time. Looking at you Manitou Mastodon.
Didn't I see something from you on here working on a coil conversion for yours?

If so, progress?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Didn't I see something from you on here working on a coil conversion for yours?

If so, progress?
No notable progress.

I'll say for enduro, I'll choose the coil, even though air pedals a little better and is faster in a few situations, being able to maintain traction in janky off-camber is just hands-down better with the coil, so still, hands down better...

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
No notable progress.

I'll say for enduro, I'll choose the coil, even though air pedals a little better and is faster in a few situations, being able to maintain traction in janky off-camber is just hands-down better with the coil, so still, hands down better...
I'm not after doing it, just curious. The temp swings around me are nothing like what you deal with.

More the slow damper action is annoying when things get cold enough. Planning to go to a lighter oil when I get around to a service.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm not after doing it, just curious. The temp swings around me are nothing like what you deal with.

More the slow damper action is annoying when things get cold enough. Planning to go to a lighter oil when I get around to a service.
Lighter bath oil really seems to be the key there.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
How rad is that! @Gary might correct me but I'm pretty sure that dude used to ride on the old Animal team with Peaty etc. Reminds me of a BMW/Superco heaps
peaty wasn't on Animal. Back then peaty was on MBUK (pre-GT and hitting big time) Team animal and MBUK did a lot of stuff together which may be where you're getting that idea. Team Animal's most successful rider was Tim Ponting. 3rd fastest brit behind peat and Warner. The kitchen brothers ride for them along with Steve Geal legend. A Bmx World vert champ in the 80s then went on to ride mtb in the 90s (V. Well known in the UK for Dirt jumping) he rode the World Cup DH circuit for a few years for Giant and team animal/playstation back when Animal was South West (England) based. Racing Duel, 4X and WC DH. He'll be 52 now (same age as me and Rob Warner) and still has amazing old skool style dirt jumping. Tora isn't his brand but a brand he now rides for (local to him) . He did have a DJ frame brand (G-bikes iirc) for a short while in the 00s towards the end of when the UK DJ scene was still big.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Lol I do one bike manufacturer suspension repairs and tuning...( Prototype had RIDICULOUS side load)

I had 6 shocks with the shock heads ripped off of air cans or cross threaded...trunion had 6 bar set up and ate shocks...had to put one in vice and use channel locks to remove air can ..
And i guess you're not allowed to disclose what lizard comp it is :triniti:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
hopefully the kink/weld in front of the BB between the 3D printed part and the downtube will not be a stress raiser
/your faithfully speculating armchair engineer :D

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
hopefully the kink/weld in front of the BB between the 3D printed part and the downtube will not be a stress raiser
Aren't the Atherton bikes 3d printed? At least their frame intersections, right? Haven't been really paying Athertention. Ha, get it?

Yeah, none the less, interesting manufacturing practice. Let's hope it holds up. They're not too far from me. I'll czech them out. :)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I am not lol.. but they did change it so we won't be seeing catastrophic failures all over..

I did chat with the trinity MTB guy (Ian) and I am excited to see this gear box high pivot come to life.. several years in design before setting up it's I believe in gen 4 right now for prototype...pretty badass
Screenshot_20230223_131623_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230223_131311_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230223_131504_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Unno-

Back at the races!

We are stoked to introduce the Primal Unno Project, a world class UCI Downhill team for this 2023 season. The team will be formed by Angel Suárez, Ike Klaassen and Niko Velasco.

The racers will ride an EVER prototype, a bike developed in Barcelona with 125 geometry possibilities. Also, the we will be preparing a documentary of the team and the bike development.

Angel ensures that the bike "has the perfect balance between stability and handling", and he has managed to get similar chrono marks than the past year despite he has only spent a few days on the bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If designed and welded properly shouldn't be a problem. They do have the advantage of sleeving the 3-D printed part into the tube giving extra strength compared to a butt joint in a tube to tube weld, all else being equal. The lower shock mount can also act as a gusset tying everything thing in the BB area together.