used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Stop.......... Hammer Tone!
RIG.jpeg

63 deg HA, yeeew!

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Man, that new Druid looks fun. But a) I don't want to give up either of my current bikes, b) I don't have room in my garage and c) my wife would kill me.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Yeah, I have been waiting for the new Druid for a while.

I think it's a very nice revision, but I am both surprised and sad to see they kept the seat tube length at 420mm for a Medium. With the new longer dropper posts, I was expecting all manufacturer to start reducing their STL.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Man, that new Druid looks fun. But a) I don't want to give up either of my current bikes, b) I don't have room in my garage and c) my wife would kill me.
C will only be a problem until you have enough bikes that your wife won't notice when a new one comes in. You just need to solve for B.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I fully endorse this plan.
However, I only have room for a medium, L or S won’t fit.
I ride medium. :brows:

C will only be a problem until you have enough bikes that your wife won't notice when a new one comes in. You just need to solve for B.
Unfortunately, she's under the misguided impression that garages are for storing cars, not bikes, skis, & tools.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
while i applaud cedric for making his dream reality, and i think it's a rad build (in terms of technical interest / aesthetics), @ 40lbs (with air shock & carbon bar, cranks, rims), with heaps of proprietary bits - methinks it's going to be a tough sell.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
while i applaud cedric for making his dream reality, and i think it's a rad build (in terms of technical interest / aesthetics), @ 40lbs (with air shock & carbon bar, cranks, rims), with heaps of proprietary bits - methinks it's going to be a tough sell.

My Zerode was 34LBS with an AIR 36 and rear shock along with Hope Brakes and metal rims. I'm just not sure the Gearboxes are where they need to be for Enduro or XC racing yet. The weights, shifting, replacement issues etc. are for sure on the negative side.

That build we sold for $$6000 now looking back it was a screaming deal........

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
part of it is the Nicolai build though isn't it?! Seems a bit Rube Goldberg... there has to be a simpler solution...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
nicolai isn't the brand for the average MTB consumer, so the normal rules don't really apply.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
part of it is the Nicolai build though isn't it?! Seems a bit Rube Goldberg... there has to be a simpler solution...
oh no doubt. with the nucleon name lineage, it's just GOT to be overbuilt.

cedric did say a while back that he was working with another (canadian) manufacturer, so there may be hope for a lighter / cheaper implementation.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
oh no doubt. with the nucleon name lineage, it's just GOT to be overbuilt.

cedric did say a while back that he was working with another (canadian) manufacturer, so there may be hope for a lighter / cheaper implementation.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him. I hope it takes off. He used to be local to me before he defected to the west coast. He's built a few wheels for friends of mine and performed various mechanical whizzbangery for them too. He sounds like a solid dude, and I hope it works.

I'm still holding out for a non-derailleur bike to replace my current sled. Maybe something relevant will be brought to market by the time I cave...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think because Nicolai exists…Pole must also exist. It’s like quantum entanglement or something.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him. I hope it takes off. He used to be local to me before he defected to the west coast. He's built a few wheels for friends of mine and performed various mechanical whizzbangery for them too. He sounds like a solid dude, and I hope it works.

I'm still holding out for a non-derailleur bike to replace my current sled. Maybe something relevant will be brought to market by the time I cave...
well we know he's definitely working with at least one other company on developing bikes. nicolai was just the first one out of the gate.

it'd be cool to see a LAL drive DH bike.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Headset cable tourists. Disappointing... :disgust1:
The thing about Nicolai, is that they build to order and you can specify how you want things to be done. External is definitely an option on other bikes… and the preferred/default route. I haven’t been through the configuration on this one though.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Whoa, I didn't realise that PP had a new frame, possibly because of the stupid naming-
1685184887472.png

Buckow spec steel front and carbon rear.
EDIT- Yay, post mount brake. Booo, drop in headset.

Last edited: