Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
All forums are dying. Unless a site resembles a social media BS portal the forums are dead. I don't think it's an RM specific problem.
This is probably true and while I might be old fashioned, i'd much rather discuss new bikes and products with the few RM survivors than with random kids on pinkbike or, god forbid, facebook.

So, since not every bike coming out deserves its own thread and this forum could use some more activity, here's a general thread for new bike releases. This is by no means meant to hamper the creation of new threads, but I often come across bikes that I'd like to discuss or just share that don't really warrant their getting their own.
Downhill bikes aren't released on a weekly basis, so I hope it's ok with the purists if any bike geared towards going downhill fast is allowed.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
These new Lapierre's already caught my eye during Eurobike and I like that you can go from Zesty to Spicy (150 vs 170mm rear travel) by simply changing to a different shock stroke. Probably a bad start for this thread but you can also switch betweeen 27,5" and 29" wheels via flip chip. The frames also feature a swat style downtube compartment for your crack and tubes.

Spicy

Zesty

Flip chip

Shock protection

I couldn't find much info on the geometry yet and will add it when it is released.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Here is another variable Frenchie, the Lone Bicycles Beretta. This one also allows you to change wheelsizes, but instead of a flip chip the frame employs an eccentric bottom bracket and andjustable chainstays.

Not a fan of yokes, but the cnc work sure is nice. The frame accepts both metric and imperial shocks resulting in 159 or 163mm of travel.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
These new Lapierre's already caught my eye during Eurobike and I like that you can go from Zesty to Spicy (150 vs 170mm rear travel) by simply changing to a different shock stroke. Probably a bad start for this thread but you can also switch betweeen 27,5" and 29" wheels via flip chip. The frames also feature a swat style downtube compartment for your crack and tubes.

Spicy

Zesty

Flip chip

Shock protection

I couldn't find much info on the geometry yet and will add it when it is released.
I still have flasbacks to a lapierre I owned 2007-2010 and their CS back then was dogshit so despite their newer bikes looking better I still would rather avoid a company who will not help you but will redirect you to a local distro who is a moron

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Hmmm, why are the CS pivots in line with or higher than the axle? The FSR patent is gone isn't it?
It is, and it was never valid for Europe to begin with, which is why you see so many generic German four bars that JM loves so much. Ghost bikes have gotten much better over the last few years and come across as a less crappy version of Cub. The placement of both the main and CS pivot really is odd, especially since they used to make a high pivot DH bike with an idler.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I’d love to try that Forbidden. It looks rather sorted for a new small brand. I’ll keep an eye out for an aluminum version. :dirol:

Would like to try any idler, for that matter.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Here is another variable Frenchie, the Lone Bicycles Beretta. This one also allows you to change wheelsizes, but instead of a flip chip the frame employs an eccentric bottom bracket and andjustable chainstays.
I really like the idea of being able to alter BB height and chainstay/front-to-center ratio without affecting head or seat angles. Although to be fair I guess it would affect effective seat angle to some extent.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Another short link British steel trail bike, however this one comes with normal sized wheels and a super slack 63.9° head angle: the Horton project 40. The seat angle is fashionably steep at 75,5° and the uninterrupted seat tube should allow for long travel dropper posts despite the low standover height.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
10MM SHOCK HARDWARE

Our 10mm shock hardware is NOT the standard from our rear shock suppliers. We have to pay more for it and our production lead times are usually increased because we specify it. But the increase in lateral and torsional stiffness for our frames and the rear shock durability and performance is worth every extra dollar and every extra delivery day.

Why not just make a stiffer frame and then use a spherical bearing to reduce the loading on the shock? Hopefully they won't snap like the old Dakar Bams.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Spicy

Croissant box?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not sure. Did it previously cost over 3k? I remember one of the UK mfgs I follow having a frame that's over 3k GBP
The BTR Pinner is really expensive, but not quite that high. £2400 frame only, £2650 with a CCDB.

It's an odd one. It's expensive and heavy, but I love the idea of a really burly 130mm bike with super aggressive modern geo. I think it looks amazing, aesthetically, and BTR are a great pair of guys to work with (I've bought two hardtails from them).

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
does an idler really make that much difference on short travel bikes?
Yeah it's important to have an idler on a high pivot, even moreso on bikes intended for pedalling / climbing. Without it, AS would be (hugely) excessive and the bike would extend hard under acceleration and oscillate noticeably. There's a little more freedom with acceleration performance on DH bikes (there are some good mid-pivots without idlers) but you can't make that compromise on a trail/enduro bike.

After a certain pivot height (or amount of chain extension) you need that idler in any application, as it keeps chaingrowth reasonable, reduces the potential of kickback, etc. Where you put it matters too, and careful location selection is important on a trailbike because of the above.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sams Nukeproof DH proto has a steeper STA than a lot of enduro bikes.
this?:

assuming a 63deg HA it looks somewhere around 70deg to me. I thought most enduro bikes were 74deg or steeper these days

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The BTR Pinner is really expensive, but not quite that high. £2400 frame only, £2650 with a CCDB.

It's an odd one. It's expensive and heavy, but I love the idea of a really burly 130mm bike with super aggressive modern geo. I think it looks amazing, aesthetically, and BTR are a great pair of guys to work with (I've bought two hardtails from them).
Maybe it's this and I saw the price in Eur on FB