Quantcast

Random new bike thread

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah I think Giant have some of the tackiest pain jobs out there, that looks like a Walmart bike to me.
They are cheap and they seem to sort out warranties pretty well, so I guess that is more important.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I actually think Giant does ugly paint on purpose so as to undercompete against all the brands they make frames for. :p

My buddy got a crazy deal on that orange reign and it’s a great bike.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I rate the Giants. They're durable and pretty well made and inexpensive. Now they've fixed the seat angle (which was like industry-worst) I can't think of a reason to pony up for a more expensive brand unless you've got some crazy preferences. The warranty has been top notch in every case that I know of as well. They're just a bit slow to react to geometry trends but thats gonna happen with their sheer size. Fingers crossed the SA fix makes its way into some of the trail bike models.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Yup, it’s the seat angle that drove me away from Giant, great bikes in most other respects. They may have had some horrendous paintjobs over the years, but my old Trance was the rootbeeriest bike of them all, so I’d cut them some slack.

Pinkbike has more pics of the camouflaged new Spec Enduro. Found this in the comments (potato cam, still eww):

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Yup, it’s the seat angle that drove me away from Giant, great bikes in most other respects. They may have had some horrendous paintjobs over the years, but my old Trance was the rootbeeriest bike of them all, so I’d cut them some slack.

Pinkbike has more pics of the camouflaged new Spec Enduro. Found this in the comments (potato cam, still eww):
Looks like Spesh lifted the ban and the big advert sites are now allowed to steer the hype.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Looks like Spesh lifted the ban and the big advert sites are now allowed to steer the hype.
What a scoop, we managed to snap some pics of a bike being raced in public. That bullshit camo somehow increased my dislike of that brand even more, which is an achievement I suppose.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
a.) jealous of highlands trip
b.) my buddy derek took his to whistler this year and said he didn't miss his v10 at all.
My buddy and I were up in Whistler on a Nomad V4 (him) and a Clash (me). The new enduro/super-enduro bikes are sick and highly capable but...I was definitely eyeing some DH bikes with envy, especially once my arms and legs were beat after the first day. I went to Northstar last weekend, had a great time on the Clash, but the natural gnar trails convinced me to buy a DH bike again. You can just go faster and worry about things less.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
My buddy and I were up in Whistler on a Nomad V4 (him) and a Clash (me). The new enduro/super-enduro bikes are sick and highly capable but...I was definitely eyeing some DH bikes with envy, especially once my arms and legs were beat after the first day. I went to Northstar last weekend, had a great time on the Clash, but the natural gnar trails convinced me to buy a DH bike again. You can just go faster and worry about things less.
i can't disagree with the "easier to plow on the dh bike" argument, but i will say that once you learn to set up and trust a 170/180-ish bike, you're not gonna get dropped or worn out significantly more...i've been doing it for a decade.

*possibly file under "old man yells at cloud"

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
i can't disagree with the "easier to plow on the dh bike" argument, but i will say that once you learn to set up and trust a 170/180-ish bike, you're not gonna get dropped or worn out significantly more...i've been doing it for a decade.
I've been doing it on and off since 2002 - have a DH bike, convince myself I can get away with a FR bike, do that for a few years, but a DH bike again, rinse/wash/repeat. I think for me the DH bike just turns the fun factor up to 11 in really gnarly terrain.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Finally did my first run on my Canyon Sender yesterday. Bought it a while back, but for different reasons wasn't able to ride it until now.
That thing just goes Mach stupid. :cupidarrow:.

So yeah, Enduros and Super enduros are nice and all, but there's nothing like a properly sized and coil sprung DH bike.

That said, if I wasn't stupid enough to have at least two bikes at the same time, I would definitely be on a Nomad.

Edit: Long chainstays are the sh!t. Especially on XL frames. Never felt so properly weighted on a frame.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
that looks better than the other shots i've seen . . . still not a fan of the x-brace between the top and down tubes . . . also, can't tell - is there a brace between the seatstays?
Looks like there is, it just kicks down in the middle, presumably for seat tube clearance.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
*possibly file under "old man yells at cloud"
**or just not riding a dh bike the way it's meant to be ridden

You'd have a point if the fest series and world cups were filled with trail bikes. They're not, and for good reason.

Think of the most badass, sick geo long travel trail bike you can. A dh bike is more of what makes that trail bike so sicter gnurr

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've got a "trail bike" with a 40, a 1300mm wheelbase, a 62 degree head tube angle, and 180mm f/175mm r travel if I put on a longer shock on it. It's still not a DH bike.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
did vernon write this ad copy?

the previous e29 was decidedly meh, but this is actually kinda / sorta looking interesting.

disclaimer: i actually like 29'ers.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Is this okay now? Think of the children!!!

View attachment 136311

Oh specialized! You so edgy!

1. I thought this was a family bike company
2. 29" wheels still make bikes shitty (oops I did it again)
What did you want them to write?
"Our New 29r's are so cutting edge, just replace one of the wheels with a 27.5 and they are capable of winning a World Cup"

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What did you want them to write?
"Our New 29r's are so cutting edge, just replace one of the wheels with a 27.5 and they are capable of winning a World Cup"
You having a hard time with this?

One of the most image-conscious mainstream brands in existence, one who sells a SHIT ton of family bikes has a naughty word on their website.

Although I agree, your suggestion would definitely be an improvement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You having a hard time with this?

One of the most image-conscious mainstream brands in existence, one who sells a SHIT ton of family bikes has a bad word on their website.

Although I agree, your suggestion would definitely be an improvement.
it's now owned by Mike Shityard