Quantcast

Random new bike thread

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Isn't it more like a 6Point6? New Firebird, or?
Looks super clean though, would bang if 26". :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If I still raced 100 mile ultra endurance races I think I'd happily use one of these:
I saw that, I like it a lot. It's interesting they left the seat angle alone, but it doesn't look that bad to begin with. Slack SAs are really only a problem when they are truly slack, ie way out in the weeds.

I'm also curious about the long reach...is that something XC riders want? A large has a 478mm reach, and the HA is 67.2...that's like an enduro bike from two years ago. Do XC racers want short stems?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I saw that, I like it a lot. It's interesting they left the seat angle alone, but it doesn't look that bad to begin with. Slack SAs are really only a problem when they are truly slack, ie way out in the weeds.

I'm also curious about the long reach...is that something XC riders want? A large has a 478mm reach, and the HA is 67.2...that's like an enduro bike from two years ago. Do XC racers want short stems?
I haven't done a race of any kind for 4 years. But at 6'2" the numbers looked good on TT and reach for the size Large. Their sizing has me on an XL which looks really long TT and reach...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If I still raced 100 mile ultra endurance races I think I'd happily use one of these:
Yup. I do 100 milers and I agree. I definitely wouldn't want the extra pressure on my hands over 100 miles that a steeper STA would give. I've noticed this and it's not a big problem when my rides are going up and down a bunch, but 100 milers tend to have long segments of everything and you just don't need that steep with that little travel. Especially with DW that won't sink back much.

I'd think about that more for a primary XC race bike. I still like the idea of a ripley for a dual-purpose XC race bike/marathon 100 miler and trail bike. I think it can hit that pretty square with a lockout and good parts selection. But for competitive shorter XC races this looks nice and it still wouldn't suck for the longer stuff. Again, maybe an advantage with the STA.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I haven't done a race of any kind for 4 years. But at 6'2" the numbers looked good on TT and reach for the size Large. Their sizing has me on an XL which looks really long TT and reach...
Yeah, I'm typically on a large but this has me square in between sizes. I'm ideally on a 455-470. Seems the industry is heading that way, leaving large gaps without my magic 460 number. I guess I'll just have to test one out someday.

Why not?

Better handling DH and less ability for terrain to turn your wheel sideways and throw you.
Better weight balance and better climbing, less see-sawing up climbs. I'm not sure how many XC races are won on the DH...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yup. I do 100 milers and I agree. I definitely wouldn't want the extra pressure on my hands over 100 miles that a steeper STA would give. I've noticed this and it's not a big problem when my rides are going up and down a bunch, but 100 milers tend to have long segments of everything and you just don't need that steep with that little travel. Especially with DW that won't sink back much.

I'd think about that more for a primary XC race bike. I still like the idea of a ripley for a dual-purpose XC race bike/marathon 100 miler and trail bike. I think it can hit that pretty square with a lockout and good parts selection. But for competitive shorter XC races this looks nice and it still wouldn't suck for the longer stuff. Again, maybe an advantage with the STA.
I rode some flat tight XC trails with a bunch of people on XC bikes when I was back East last week on my big enderpo bike. I lost nothing to the people on the XC bikes, was actually doing better than them in the super tight windy shit. The only drawback was the steep seat angle and an extra 10 lbs. There is no riding out of the saddle, had to drop the post for just about everything which gets tiring. I'd like to think my ideal XC bike would be long and slack but with a 74 degree seat angle so I would have room to move around out of the saddle without dropping it.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've done a few 100km/60 mile events on trail bikes and the seat angle thing isn't as important as on an enduro IMO. The bikes sag less obviously as they have less travel, and the climbs tend to be less steep as well (a lot of Enduro liasons go nearly straight up, less meandering), plus trail/XC bikes have the lower front ends so you're not perched on the front of the nose of the saddle trying to stop the front wheel lifting all the time.

I'd love a Transition Spur for marathon rides but at the level I'm riding (finisher not a racer) my Smuggler does the job fine.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Absolutely sick and the article was a good read. Those crank arms are stunning and the finish of the front triangle is amazing. Lovely details all round.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

These are fucken amazing.
At the bottom of the page was a write up about the Corsair Maelstrom, what a bunch of shit, that frame sucked balls.
I think I deleted the thread about mine, probably helped the writer find more positive views, hahaha!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I mocked Lynskey a little while ago in this thread but they have a 2021 Live Wire that would be a fun XC bike.
Snake stays, post mount brake, decently steep seat tube angle and a head tube angle of 66.5deg.
1625990405184.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I mocked Lynskey a little while ago in this thread but they have a 2021 Live Wire that would be a fun XC bike.
Snake stays, post mount brake, decently steep seat tube angle and a head tube angle of 66.5deg.
View attachment 162106
I've a Lynskey, over 10 years old now. It was a prototype for Salsa of their El Mariachi Ti. It's been solid for me, normally gets about 1500 miles a year put on it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I wanted to love Lynskey but their road bikes are a bit too casual and their mtbs have long chainstays. I keep hoping they’ll get with the program and drop 10mm to make them 2010 current, but they never do. Now people are back to long chainstays, so I guess they’re ok again?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I rode some flat tight XC trails with a bunch of people on XC bikes when I was back East last week on my big enderpo bike. I lost nothing to the people on the XC bikes, was actually doing better than them in the super tight windy shit. The only drawback was the steep seat angle and an extra 10 lbs. There is no riding out of the saddle, had to drop the post for just about everything which gets tiring. I'd like to think my ideal XC bike would be long and slack but with a 74 degree seat angle so I would have room to move around out of the saddle without dropping it.
Downcountry bikes.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I am not mad about a new Dorado. Only real negative I had to say about my old one was they would suck down into travel. Would those pressure relief valves prevent that?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I am not mad about a new Dorado. Only real negative I had to say about my old one was they would suck down into travel. Would those pressure relief valves prevent that?
I think it's pretty kick but...not overly heavy and as always kick butt looking

If it's an air fork and there's pressure then it could....seals would allow it to stay sucked down a smidge....and vice versa higher altitudes would cause it to go positive and release valves to neutralize.....
1/2" I've never given a crap about , just how the rest handle the shit on course....

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I think it's pretty kick but...not overly heavy and as always kick butt looking

If it's an air fork and there's pressure then it could....seals would allow it to stay sucked down a smidge....and vice versa higher altitudes would cause it to go positive and release valves to neutralize.....
1/2" I've never given a crap about , just how the rest handle the shit on course....

A buddy and mine would suck down over an inch. Was fun to take the air out and pull the fork to full extension and fill with air at the same time!