Quantcast

Random new bike thread

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
New RSD Wildcat has been announced at $1800USD-
View attachment 168596
Thats certainly a good deal, although I think he saying $2,300 (or even $2,600) for a legit DH frame is a steal these days.

I think the geo on modern trailbikes has necessitated weight increases though too. The leverage from a big single crown on a 64deg HTA must be very different from a 67deg from a few years ago.
Definitely agree. With the aggressive geometry and generally good suspension designs that most trail or downward sloping terrain bikes have now, they are asking to be treated like park bikes, but the frame weighs 5 lbs. Definitely want to make sure you have really good long term disability insurance.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think the geo on modern trailbikes has necessitated weight increases though too. The leverage from a big single crown on a 64deg HTA must be very different from a 67deg from a few years ago.

And there is just a lot more bike in a modern bike. Long reaches require longer tubes which need to be larger to maintain rigidity.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
And there is just a lot more bike in a modern bike. Long reaches require longer tubes which need to be larger to maintain rigidity.
There is also a trend to accept heavy frames thinking they are stronger however it is easier and faster to optimize a structure less…. You’re in manufacturing right? Overbuild if the timelines are tight, right?

Only as strong as the weakest link.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There is also a trend to accept heavy frames thinking they are stronger however it is easier and faster to optimize a structure less…. You’re in manufacturing right? Overbuild if the timelines are tight, right?

Only as strong as the weakest link.
Not sure if I'd necessarily say overbuild in tight timelines, just less time to optimize things.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Jedi frames are fare more complicated to assemble/weld than any trail frame or probably any production DH frame. There is a lot going on in there and numbers aren't huge, so that pricepoint is impressive these days.
1639111895524.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wow, two tubes are an inch longer, what does that add to the cost, at least $600?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Thats certainly a good deal, although I think he saying $2,300 (or even $2,600) for a legit DH frame is a steal these days.
Actually, that seems to be not such a good deal, the old frame was $1300USD and it had cables where they belong.
Maybe I will have to order a V2 before they are gone.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
I have the new SID fork on my Revel Ranger and only about 100 miles on it but I am dang impressed. It's not just good for what it is, its plain good.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I thought we'd established from shock Tuesday talk thingy that shock yokes are bad m'kay?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I thought we'd established from shock Tuesday talk thingy that shock yokes are bad m'kay?

My old single pivot Santa Cruz used to burn through shock bushings in a month and a shock body about every year. The 3 year old pivot bushings on my yoked Ibis are original and still in good shape. I think rigidity and alignment are just as important than the design architecture, that being said a yoke will make that process tougher.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That's what, the second old frame you've bought in last few months? Why keep buying old small bikes instead of getting one new long one?
I like the way they ride besides price was right...
I looked around and for now I like the way they ride and have spare parts of one breaks.
I was going to ace the m9 but after running it at summit mullet set up...hell I'd have a hard time catching me..love that bike.

Going to play with the 951 and a different set up...love the way the Evo rides but ha is too slack...so I'll dial it back.

I'll eventually move to a frame newer than 2015, I rode a couple bikes buddy has at shop and 1 I loved (dreadnaught) but flexxed the ass more than yoga pants on a fat woman..was all over tire eating sides I'd it weren't for that I could see running it...asked hunter to address that with them, love the bike but would kill that rear end.