Quantcast

Random new bike thread

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

I've been curious to see how these things went ever since they started being developed. The frame construction aesthetics are a bit out there, and the price is bonkers. Pretty hard to disagree with the pedigree behind them though.

Wonder how the frames feel compared to the regular materials available.
I guess the suspension makes much more of a difference than the construction technique.
Sadly they do not seem to do full customs. I had hoped that this was my way to get a modern 26" geo bike with a really good suspension system. :disgust:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

I've been curious to see how these things went ever since they started being developed. The frame construction aesthetics are a bit out there, and the price is bonkers. Pretty hard to disagree with the pedigree behind them though.

I don't understand how they keep people employed. It has to be a front for a drug cartel.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I don't understand how they keep people employed. It has to be a front for a drug cartel.
Seriously! Even if their investor is patient, a first run with 50 bikes and now planning for 300 for the full year is not going to turn out any profit. If it does their bikes are way overpriced. Maybe they cross-finance it with their bikepark, which seems to be popular.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Seriously! Even if their investor is patient, a first run with 50 bikes and now planning for 300 for the full year is not going to turn out any profit. If it does their bikes are way overpriced. Maybe they cross-finance it with their bikepark, which seems to be popular.
They have DMLS printers. I'd be surprised if they weren't running them at around capacity as a part supplier for other industries as a revenue stream.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
They have DMLS printers. I'd be surprised if they weren't running them at around capacity as a part supplier for other industries as a revenue stream.
The little chirp I heard prior to the brand launch from someone not involved in "the industry" was that their financing was led by some independently very wealthy individual. I got the sense that the need or desire to make money had a fairly long runway.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The little chirp I heard prior to the brand launch from someone not involved in "the industry" was that their financing was led by some independently very wealthy individual. I got the sense that the need or desire to make money had a fairly long runway.
those kinds of people are often totally fine with not hitting an ROI for at least a decade or more.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

I actually know 2 guys that have/had them. One guy had his stolen, so I can't borrow it to try unfortunately. They both really liked the DW6. It took a long time for them to get their frames, but that was during peak Covid. They said it was kinda weird (but I guess kinda Euro) that you couldn't make the purchase with a credit card, you had to do a bank transfer. Both complained about the dogleg in the seat tube, limiting dropper option (could *barely* make a 150 work on a medium). One guy had a stock medium, the other had a custom that was in between a small & medium, but not by much. He said at the time (first 50) it was only a couple hundred extra for the custom. It sounds like price went up a fair amount... they were saying it was like $4k with a shock and shipping, which is pricy, but not much more than what Yeti or SC are charging these days.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Somewhere in the OutsidePB comments, someone mentioned the apparent exorbitant cost. Then they went back and had a look at the current cost of a comparable (top-end, top-spec) Santa Cruz bike, and they were comparable. Both stupid, but comparable. I guess "point" is more of a question: isn't this a rare, high-end bike, and the pricing reflects that?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Somewhere in the OutsidePB comments, someone mentioned the apparent exorbitant cost. Then they went back and had a look at the current cost of a comparable (top-end, top-spec) Santa Cruz bike, and they were comparable. Both stupid, but comparable. I guess "point" is more of a question: isn't this a rare, high-end bike, and the pricing reflects that?
Most of the "big" common brands now sell their frame only for > $3500 :/

There's a bike I'm interested in, I don't like any of their offered builds. But trying to build something up myself when the frame costs $3500 gets very pricey.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
If they ever start making them in decent volume like make 5k per year per size they can mim the couplers and literally drop the cost to make the couplers by like 2 orders of magnitude. So they got that going for them.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You must be loving the new IRS reporting requirements.
No :panic:

I've been ignoring Paypal's emails for months. I just sell off old bike stuff that I know I'm losing money against the original purchase price. Now I need to prove I'm losing money (but if the purchase is old enough there's no way I paid sales tax on it...)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
No :panic:

I've been ignoring Paypal's emails for months. I just sell off old bike stuff that I know I'm losing money against the original purchase price. Now I need to prove I'm losing money (but if the purchase is old enough there's no way I paid sales tax on it...)
I'd really like to know what happens when you buy a bike, then sell it by parts. Don't have a receipt for the part you're selling? Short term gain tax due, citizen! This is fucking retarded.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'd really like to know what happens when you buy a bike, then sell it by parts. Don't have a receipt for the part you're selling? Short term gain tax due, citizen! This is fucking retarded.
Yall have to report random crap you sell on the streets?

Fuck that...

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Sheesh I didn’t about that US tax requirement. Mental.
It's new in 2022 because tax cheats. If you sell any personal shit for $600/year, you have to report and pay short/long term gain taxes. And yes, all the major payment processors like Paypal, Venmo etc. now have to report you to the IRS as well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's new in 2022 because tax cheats. If you sell any personal shit for $600/year, you have to report and pay short/long term gain taxes. And yes, all the major payment processors like Paypal, Venmo etc. now have to report you to the IRS as well.
Finally, we can stick it to the rich people tax-sheltering their entire life...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
No idea what paperwork will be required alongside the IRS form that Paypal/Venmo are going to send to their customers outlining inbound payments for the past year.

It's probably going to cost more for my CPA to process the BS than I even took in at a loss over the original purchase prices.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
if i buy something for x and sell it for y less, how do i gain financially from it?
Right, everyone now files self-employment taxes basically, without being able to deduct any related expenses. Do you really have all the receipts for everything you ever bought to prove you're selling for less?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
our tax system works differently here, the shop is usually the last business in line, so it needs to collect the sales tax from the customer. private sales are not taxed, as you cant get taxed twice for something.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Now everyone should get a business license or register sol proprietor. Than when you buy a bike it's a tax deduction.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
It's only a tax deduction of the money you made with the bike. So like if you have a biking YouTube video you can deduct the cost of the bike from your YouTube income tax liability.