Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You Sir may well be the first living human to use the adjective "fine" in regards to Cannondale componentry

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
FSA do. Also using a 24mm axle design but using a different spline interface to Shimano's between the L/H crank and axle

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You Sir may well be the first living human to use the adjective "fine" in regards to Cannondale componentry
I know, but Cannondales are popular around these parts and were for a long time. If you see how many old Lefties and Hollowgram cranks still go strong, then I would call that "fine". Not many SIDs or lightweight carbon cranks from the same vintage to be seen. XC use only though, although with a lot of mileage.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Used to commute on a road bike with proper flat pedals. One morning it felt like the pedal axles were bent, was actually the Ultegra crank arm. Soft pedaled on that side until I got home and tested it with my full weight, crank arm broke right off. Pretty sure it didn't like the longer pedal axle and my mashing pedal stroke.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Used to commute on a road bike with proper flat pedals. One morning it felt like the pedal axles were bent, was actually the Ultegra crank arm. Soft pedaled on that side until I got home and tested it with my full weight, crank arm broke right off. Pretty sure it didn't like the longer pedal axle and my mashing pedal stroke.
You're not alone my friend!

Screenshot_20220701-221658.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I know, but Cannondales are popular around these parts and were for a long time. If you see how many old Lefties and Hollowgram cranks still go strong, then I would call that "fine". Not many SIDs or lightweight carbon cranks from the same vintage to be seen. XC use only though, although with a lot of mileage.
Ah... So this is the vintage XC forum now?
I really can't keep up anymore.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You're not alone my friend!

View attachment 178502

Failure of Ultegra and Dura Ace HTII cranksets has been fairly well doccumented for some time
eg.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeah, they held on to pinch bolts until the m9100 generation.
It was disappointing to discover that after I acquired a set of m9100 cranks. It requires a proprietary tool to cinch the nds arm down.

If I used the word disgusted it would be too dramatic. I've stuck with HT2 for over a decade though. Once my nds m980 arm almost fell off during a ride. I didn't ever figure out how it happened.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
garbaruk teasing cranks. claimed weight is 20g less than eewings

View attachment 178489

View attachment 178490
But probably hundreds of grams weaker (and likely not *that* much cheaper?)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Ah... So this is the vintage XC forum now?
I really can't keep up anymore.
I wouldn't call the 380 g Garbaruk aluminium crank "downhill" either. So comparing like for like is fair IMO.
For getting an idea about longevity of a product, I rather look at parts that are around for a couple of years and used in the real world than these industry-promoting mags and websites where their "long-term reviews" cover 300 km over 2 months.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
"long-term reviews" cover 300 km over 2 months.
even that sounds rather optimistic for most mtb longterm reviews.

Despite the ultegra/DA failures I still can't see past Shimano for reliable cranksets in a suitable guise for each application.
Not that they get a lot of use anymore but I still have a set of 2003 Saints still going strong on one bike and 3 sets of 2009s that do still see a fair amount of use. A light bike is nice but back to back the increase in flex between XT and Saint is really noticable so sub 400g Alu cranks really aren't for me and I wouldn't even consider carbon.

Last edited:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
garbaruk teasing cranks. claimed weight is 20g less than eewings

View attachment 178489

View attachment 178490
Had green/gold one in my hands last week. They are stupid light. 30mm aluminium axle that is not even hard anodized... Chainring nut (not visable here) was flimsy af. From my experience, this splined crank puller i think is single use item as well... Asked the rep if they can make us a 24mm steel axle, coz you know, steel bearing races and an aluminium axle is a complete nono for me, and maybe it will be an option in the future, but for now it is what it is. It is intended for XC use. It is a clamshell design.

They should start making parts from all the Ti harvested from orcs' downed planes and missiles.
They make their stuff in Poland, not Ukraine.

Oh yeah, and the axle spline was DUB or something similar looking, not a small spline like on shimano cranks.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Not that they get a lot of use anymore but I still have a set of 2003 Saints still going strong on one bike and 3 sets of 2009s that do still see a fair amount of use
I've definitely ridden stiffer cranks than XTs, but really they tick the boxes for me (cheapish, durable AF and simple). Shimano cranks and BBs are definitely my favourite and I really haven't been convinced to that anything else offers a better alternative.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Looks decent apart from the stupid steep seat tube angle du jour.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It seems to have fairly standard headtube lengths per size so its sub 600mm stack numbers come more from the conservative (high) BB height than a particularly low front end.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
holy damn, there's a shit ton of interesting details on finn's bike. carbon tubes bonded into lugs (see head tube & seat tube junctions), chainstay looks cnc'd? some sort of pull linkage... some serious levels of enginerding going on.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
holy damn, there's a shit ton of interesting details on finn's bike. carbon tubes bonded into lugs (see head tube & seat tube junctions), chainstay looks cnc'd? some sort of pull linkage... some serious levels of enginerding going on.

I am pretty sure that is all just driven by the fact that it is a prototype. Much easier to make a lugged and machined bike for one offs than with production level manufacturing techniques.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
tho if you're just building a mule, seems welded alu would be much easier than developing the required technologies to do this. if they're messing with entirely new materials / techniques i'm thinking they're going to be deployed in some production form at some point in the future. unless the skunkworks division has a boatload of discretionary cash, and they're just dabbling in exotica for funsies. which is also entirely possible.