Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
have you seen the prices on EXT shocks?
Yeah and for all that it worked like crap and i had them refund it.

But a shock is make or break for the tune it comes with. The best shock in the world with a crap tune will be a crap shock.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Ext has standard casted lowers on its single crown fork. It's seem then that going USD is a choice.
Silver stanchions look indeed cheap. These could be chrome plated to increase resistance against scratches?

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Ext has standard casted lowers on its single crown fork. It's seem then that going USD is a choice.
Silver stanchions look indeed cheap. These could be chrome plated to increase resistance against scratches?
I'd guess plated too... You can't really hard-anodize polished surfaces i'm guessing. Besides, I can remember reading somewhere that rougher anodized aluminum actually was more slippery because of the pockets carrying lubricant.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
i believe EXT uses (purchases) another company's lowers for their single crown fork... i want to say suntour or x-fusion.
It can be. I am not sure if it was Ext or Formula who bought lowers from somewhere else... maybe both? I can't be bothered to research that at the moment :drag:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
EXT used X-Fusion lowers for the v1 of the Era. Not sure if that's still the case with the v2 with it's floating axle design. I'd assume it's still someone else's casting but who knows.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It can be. I am not sure if it was Ext or Formula who bought lowers from somewhere else... maybe both? I can't be bothered to research that at the moment :drag:
I've heard great things about those formulas and given they are very cheap (at laest oem since some pretty cheap OEM bikes have them (propain for example) they are a steal even on "borrowed" lowers.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
PB has new Nomad, new Pivot and Evil e-bikes and the GG Gnarvana now has moar carbonz.

Big day for new shiny toys that cost more than an arm and a leg

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
^ With the optional long travel link, that seems like it would be an excellent trail AND park bike for me. Metal bikes are rad. Fidlock not so much.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Love that they're doing that, plus all the adjustability, an aluminum frame and the fact that you can get one frame-only with no shock for $1560 USD.
Well, I'd much rather see the LR up around 2.6 or a little more then, so that the shocks you buy aftermarket will actually work on the bike. It's a hair too low on the LR IMO for aftermarket stuff. Probably fine in a 180 position, but then you need extra link, longer travel fork, etc. Metric shocks of this length have not been tuned by the MFRs for these LRs in general IME, they are kind of still locked in "old school" mode for LRs closer to 3:1 IMO, or accounting for the "average" rider is 250lbs now...So coming without a shock can be a problem IMO.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Well, I'd much rather see the LR up around 2.6 or a little more then, so that the shocks you buy aftermarket will actually work on the bike. It's a hair too low on the LR IMO for aftermarket stuff. Probably fine in a 180 position, but then you need extra link, longer travel fork, etc. Metric shocks of this length have not been tuned by the MFRs for these LRs in general IME, they are kind of still locked in "old school" mode for LRs closer to 3:1 IMO, or accounting for the "average" rider is 250lbs now...So coming without a shock can be a problem IMO.
Go faster and drink more beer.

On a serious note, you can also swallow the expense on a revalve on the shock you want. In my case I have multiple shocks of the same size with different tunes already, so I can test both a low and medium compression tune and stick with what I prefer.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Go faster and drink more beer.

On a serious note, you can also swallow the expense on a revalve on the shock you want. In my case I have multiple shocks of the same size with different tunes already, so I can test both a low and medium compression tune and stick with what I prefer.
Theres more than just L M and H, there’s linear, digressive, etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
True, but in that case it doesn't matter if it's suited to a medium tune or not...so, your point?
Since these aren’t available as options when you order a shock, the bike should have a slightly higher LR or not be sold without shock. Ideally, you would be able to order day a fox with whatever is the appropriate OEM tuning…but fox hates riders (and so does RS) and aftermarket shocks is basically taking a crap on riders.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Since these aren’t available as options when you order a shock, the bike should have a slightly higher LR or not be sold without shock. Ideally, you would be able to order day a fox with whatever is the appropriate OEM tuning…but fox hates riders (and so does RS) and aftermarket shocks is basically taking a crap on riders.
Or just be aware of the kinematics of the frame you’re buying and what your shock requirements are and plan accordingly.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I had a Bird AM9 for a while, the older brother of the Aeris 9. A really good plow bike, at ease on the super fast and a good climber / pedaler. But the longer reach and long chainstays made it quite a handful to bring along on the slower techy / twisty stuff... at least for me. In retrospective I might have tried it with a narrower bar, it might have helped me.
Screenshot_20220804-081330_Gallery.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not sure if this is new but a 65deg HA on a 135mm bike would be fun-
arc8-extra-st-v1.jpg

Cables in the headset would not be fun, people need to leave dumb shit like that to Scott.

EDIT, they even have a 100mm frame with a 65deg HA.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
View attachment 180387
Cables in the headset would not be fun, people need to leave dumb shit like that to Scott.

GG pistola is 65° @130mm

the way i have my scott spark setup its like 65.5° @120mm travel. its in slack mode, and the fork i use on it has a slightly taller a2c that the stock fork. can confirm its a good time, even on 26" wheels.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
GG pistola is 65° @130mm

the way i have my scott spark setup its like 65.5° @120mm travel. its in slack mode, and the fork i use on it has a slightly taller a2c that the stock fork. can confirm its a good time, even on 26" wheels.
Yeah my inbound frame is 64deg and 110mm, I'm never going to win anything I just want to have fun on rutty fire roads and singletrack.
Spark looks pretty cool but my fatness and Scott probably aren't a good match.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah my inbound frame is 64deg and 110mm, I'm never going to win anything I just want to have fun on rutty fire roads and singletrack.
Spark looks pretty cool but my fatness and Scott probably aren't a good match.
there's a term for it.

fwiw i have an older spark (2013). picked it up second hand. have been pleased.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
View attachment 180387

I honestly feel with droppers and wagon-wheels a few degrees of HA makes no difference. It just makes uphill switchbacks suck more, but doesn't dramatically change the DH-ability. That comes from the wider bars, the short stem, the dropper and wagon wheels (for wheel catchers).