Quantcast

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
God I hate those. They are going in all over Jackson...architectural laziness, IMO.
“Hey, let’s put window slats in a square box...it’s so modern and fresh!”
Not necessarily laiziness or modern. There is a lot of that in Denmark and the styling dates back to the late 1920s and there are some amazing examples of what we call "funkis" in my hood. However I do agree that it easily turns into lazy design. The square box is however very functional as functionalism is the principle that buildings should be designed based solely on the purpose and function of the building:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functionalism_(architecture)

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'll take the box over this bullshit from the Le Douche Rurale period.

I would gladly survive with a 3br 1/3 the size of my house, as long as the garage was 2x the size. Wifey however is not of that opinion...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Not necessarily laiziness or modern. There is a lot of that in Denmark and the styling dates back to the late 1920s and there are some amazing examples of what we call "funkis" in my hood. However I do agree that it easily turns into lazy design. The square box is however very functional as functionalism is the principle that buildings should be designed based solely on the purpose and function of the building:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functionalism_(architecture)
One reason why it’s going on here is that many lots are 1/10th of an acre, and this design maximizes the square footage of the house. I understand that. What gets me in our locale is the flat roof factor. We can get many feet of snow load, which certainly compromises the roof.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
God I hate those. They are going in all over Jackson...architectural laziness, IMO.
“Hey, let’s put window slats in a square box...it’s so modern and fresh!”
I like the way those ones in particular look. I would live in one, especially if a rooftop garden could be built.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
AKA, all of Aspen and/or Breckenridge.
Replace the wood with white vinyl, make a garage the dominant architectural feature and you have the majority of new construction in the mid-Atlantic.

I will take the cubes over nouveax faux colonial.

The cubes are the dominant new construction style here, makes sense for townhouses trying to maximize living space on minimal square footage, however there are some new traditional homes being built that look a loylt more like remodeled old craftsmen and blend into the old neighborhood rather well. Not sure why one woukd pick the cube over that.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Has that fucker got that Ribbon coil on there yet?
Pffft, dude is waaaayyy too fat now, so only a notchy 36 air spring can support his manatee like dimensions.

But really, no because we've hardly been riding lately due to incessant rain blasts every weekend, and I think he's waiting to clean up his squish bike before throwing the new bump stick on...either that or he's waiting for Avy to make a cart because, ya know, mid-valves.