Quantcast

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Laga is just the right amount of sweet for me, it's considerably sweeter than some of the other heavily peated scotches and is just a real nice mix. Laphroiag always tastes like "chemicals" to me, like kind of soapy or something. I liked the 10yr Laga too, it was not bad. Ardbeg is a good substitute for Laga for me, but I don't typically find much else that really suites my fancy, the drinkability of Laga is just great. A few months ago at Costco they had a "kirkland" scotch that was outstanding, not the usual watered-down 40% stuff, but a true higher % scotch that definitely had decent peaty tones in it, possibly speyside. It was widely known that they were simply selling one of the decent brands with a different label. I've been looking in the months since, but have not found it.

A lot of brands will sell their younger casks to different bottlers...
Some are pretty decent but in a lot of them you can definitly taste the lack of age.

Had a bottle of Smokehead once which was pretty tasty, appearently they buy 8yo Ardbeg (from the top of my head) and use their own branding.

If you think the standard (16yo) Laga is sweet enough then dont buy the Distillers Edition.
I love it but its kind of the perfect mix between Islay and Speyside whisky. Something Ive only ever tasted before in a bottle of the the Benriach Solstice.

If you havent tried Coal Ila you probably should.
:cool:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Which Market did you go to? I went to Cam Fah on Bailey. It was amazing. I told my friend here in Rochester about it. As they had Soup Dumplings. We drove all the way there. And the place was gone. I mean not standing. Like it was never there. We went to Pyung Tiak in Niagara Falls instead. It was very good.
I went to the Asia Food Market on 2055 Niagara Falls Blvd in Amherst. It was my first time at this one, opened about 18 months ago, it is in a old Walmart and takes up half the store, it's huge. Tons of produce, fish and meat.
I also went to the Ni Hoowa market on Sheridan drive, they carry the shao shing cooking wine that I like.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I went to the Asia Food Market on 2055 Niagara Falls Blvd in Amherst. It was my first time at this one, opened about 18 months ago, it is in a old Walmart and takes up half the store, it's huge. Tons of produce, fish and meat.
I also went to the Ni Hoowa market on Sheridan drive, they carry the shao shing cooking wine that I like.
Would you drive from Rochester to go there?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Yes if there are no good Asian markets there.
You can always make a trip out of it too. Go to the Asian market, get food at Jasmine Thai or Red Pepper and then stop at Bocce for a pie to take home.
Thanks. I am more of a LaHacienda pie fan. Way better then Bocce. Say Cheese on Grand Island is good too.