Quantcast

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
A little red shouldered hawk just fell out of the nest in my yard. The nest is too high to return it. I put it in a fake nest on the roof. Parents watched me closely, but my scalp is intact.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Please don't temp me. It was so friendly.

Parent. Red shoulder, I think?
I got attacked/perched on by RSH that was improperly socialized and kept as a pet prior - that sucked. I was cleaning its enclosure and it flew out from its perch and landed on my head. All I had on was rubber gloves. I instinctively put my hands up and then it took like a minute or two before it would let go of my hand with its talons:eek:

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I wonder how likely it is that the little guy "fell" out of the nest. I know with some birds, they'll have two or more chicks and the larger will kick the smaller ones out. And I also dont know the likelihood that they'll feed the little one in another location other than the nest. Id call dept. of fish and game. There may be a wildlife rehab who'd take him. My guess is they'll tell you to "let nature take it's course" but c'mon... you could have your own pet hawk!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nesting raptors resort to cannibalism especially if resources are limited - they don't let things go to waste. The wildlife rehab people would take them and likely have much more experience with them. That plus its illegal to have one (or any other native bird) without a license.

http://www.floridawildlifecare.org/ (warning, ****ty web design, only displays right in IE)

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, Im just kidding about keeping it. Although, you can actually apply for a permit to keep a bird for falconry in TN, but it's a pretty tough process.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
It also may have been driven from the nest by finches. Those little fvcks were going apesh!t divebombing the other hawks when I went out there. Teeny little finches raising hell. Somebody mama got ate or something.

If I had a hawk, I would grow a huge and luxurious mullet. Because if you own a hawk, you get max style points rocking the mullet.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah, Im just kidding about keeping it. Although, you can actually apply for a permit to keep a bird for falconry in TN, but it's a pretty tough process.
The laws are also backwards in that you cannot keep native species but hunters and farmers can shoot certain native birds. Farmers don't even need a license for things like crows:rolleyes:

Hummingbirds and other vulnerable birds nest around birds of prey on purpose for protection from other predators.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I shoot certain native birds. Got this one yesterday.

But as for shooting crows for no reason and leaving them to rot, I dont care for that much.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Wild ones are smarter than domestic, would be interesting to raise one if you could...

I shoot certain native birds. Got this one yesterday.
Wonder if this white one is recessive trait from crosses with wild or an escapee. The wild turkeys of the Jersey Shore (just crossed a busy road near some McMansions on 537):p

Last edited:

CastleMaster

Monkey
Jan 11, 2010
Upper Newport Bay
Eater,

Yes, it is a RSH. Did you look him over for broken legs, wings?

If it has no injuries, the best thing to do is to get it back into the nest, if possible. Would animal control in your area have the capabilites to do this?

I would feel uncomfortable leaving it on the roof, especially over night. If you have no way of getting it back into the nest, the best thing would probably be to bring him down and keep him in a small box (covered, but with vents) until you can get him to a wildlife rehaber in the morning that does raptors.

If you end up doing this, feel free to PM me for feeding tips, etc.

-Gray
Orange County Bird of Prey Center Volunteer
:thumb:

PS- We had this guy a few weeks ago- he is doing great now!
http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/pub/57025-baby-barn-owl.html

I have had two since then too :rolleyes:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Awesome. I have seen an albino wild turkey before, and even got a picture of it.

I also actually just read a book by a guy who imprinted and raised his own flock of wild turkeys.

http://www.amazon.com/Illumination-Flatwoods-Season-Wild-Turkey/dp/1599211971

Good read too.
I'll pick up a used copy. While I was working the wildlife rehab we had an albino raccoon (no photo though). About a dozen enclosures of rehab/rescue raccoons there - why spend the money on common animals like that - patient numbers must determine funding somehow:rant:

I avoided mammals when possible (especially rabies carriers) - almost always worked with the songbirds and birds of prey. The resident turkey vulture was mean since he was beaten in captivity before the center staff got him.

They have wild BVs most of the year, at times 100s of them:

There were two young ones that were raised and released. They were socialized too much and have no fear of people. They stick around all the time and try to steal food from you - really sneaky and smart. I actually enjoyed being harassed by them:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Taking your Lotus for a drive in the mountains with your buddy, very cool

Getting on the gas in the twisties, way fun

getting into a corner way to hot swapping ends and stuffing the guardrail so I can snap this photo, Priceless

no one got hurt...just seriously embarassed:p