Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pretty tiny. Maybe 20-30 passengers? I don’t remember, exactly. But the Telluride runway is also kinda terrifying. ends with a huge cliff.
We were flying in and out of clouds just north of there in a piston multi-engine airplane using oxygen and my student asked if we could go do the approach into To-Hell-u-Ride for "fun". I wanted to punch him. If you lose an engine, you are screwed, because you aren't climbing at that altitude for the missed-approach. Single-engine climb (on a multi-engine) is your limiting factor for a lot of stuff.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
HOLY FOOK 3500 cars destroyed!
I do believe that might be enough for trigger a catastrophic claim for insurance... Because there's a certain threshold at which point rental companies no longer self-insure. 3,500 cars at let's say... $20,000... $70mm. That's a lot of dollars.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Esquel in argentina is the same way, gnarly turbulence and plane landing sideways. On our last trip there Feb 1st of this year we emergency landed to beat a storm coming in- scariest shit ever. Landed and got hit with a black wall of rain/ hail/ winds over 60knots. We were stuck on the plane on the runway and the wings were flexing to the ground during gusts. wild
Holy shit.. Nice region though, really love it there!

Ive flown quite a lot all around the world but havent been in any really scary situations in commercial airliners.
I did however have a really sketchy landing in a small single engine plane in Melbourne.
After doing some city orbits and a small tour over the beach with a friend who just got his license we headed back and he had to land with a pretty heavy tailwind.
Went off the runway sideways onto the grass before finally coming to a stop, the people in the control tower or whatever it was were making fun of him.

#Coolstorybro

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Heh, in terms of pucker inducing landings/takeoffs, the Lukla airport in Nepal was terrifying. Not only were the dual prop planes old and rickety, but the runway ends in a giant stone wall. All in mountain weather and winds.

Obviously turned out okay for me, but they've had more than their fair share or crashes.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I do believe that might be enough for trigger a catastrophic claim for insurance... Because there's a certain threshold at which point rental companies no longer self-insure. 3,500 cars at let's say... $20,000... $70mm. That's a lot of dollars.
My money is on inventory reduction fire.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'd take some of the liver. How much to you have? Tell Wifey liver and onions is delicious, and to try cooking it.
A lot. And Wifey says you can have it. She refuses to cook it. It's in a bunch of smaller packets too, so you can thaw and eat in a reasonable pace.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
Holy shit.. Nice region though, really love it there!

Ive flown quite a lot all around the world but havent been in any really scary situations in commercial airliners.
I did however have a really sketchy landing in a small single engine plane in Melbourne.
After doing some city orbits and a small tour over the beach with a friend who just got his license we headed back and he had to land with a pretty heavy tailwind.
Went off the runway sideways onto the grass before finally coming to a stop, the people in the control tower or whatever it was were making fun of him.

#Coolstorybro
I've had a few too many gnarly flights- Denver to Junction last summer was wild, Portland to Missoula we got lost (no shit) and coming in along the bitteroots the plane was dropping what felt like hundreds of feet- cars were specs then suddenly you could see through sunroofs and tell the difference between sprite and mtn dew in folks cup holders. Was sitting next to a guy who worked for delta for 3-+ years and he said it was the worst flight he had been on.

Seperate trip to argentina 3 years ago we were over the ocean at about 1am, fully boozed and ambiened up and heard the old flight attendants take your seats, take your seats NOW. proceeded to get rocked for 2 hours straight in the big bus.

Another solid one was flying from a small remote fishing lodge in the Amazon to Manaus, on the way into the lodge you cross over the equator and all the gauges go haywire and the plane started making all sorts of noise- instant panic until they described what was happeneing. On the way back we had wind sheer out the wazoo and some massive drops, looking outside there was nothing for miles, so fear of going down was very high, especially considerig that everything that lived below wants to kill you. Buddy I was with hates flying so he was in full on panic mode, pilots were laughing.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
This must have been the Dolly Parton of ducks. Small potatoes, onion, Brussels sprouts fried up in the fat with a big blob of mascarpone. Heavy on garlic, paprika, thyme, S&P. A big chunky hash. Thinly sliced/chunked duck to get mixed in at the end.
20200406_163932.jpg
20200406_164826.jpg