Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Getting the front up is no problem, I have to keep reminding myself to "lock the arms", which helps you get back, but balancing is holy-fuck hard. I go every which way and balancing both fore-aft and left/right is impossible to do sustained. I can sometimes get 100 feet, but it feels like I've digressed recently. I can't never figure out what to do with the gears, go harder or easier. It feels like maybe if I'm even further back I can pedal against the braking, rather than a little further forward where I'm pedaling against the front wheel coming down, but then if I do the first thing it's harder to stay up (fore-aft). They said it'd be easier to learn on flats. Tried that. Nope.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Getting the front up is no problem, I have to keep reminding myself to "lock the arms", which helps you get back, but balancing is holy-fuck hard. I go every which way and balancing both fore-aft and left/right is impossible to do sustained. I can sometimes get 100 feet, but it feels like I've digressed recently. I can't never figure out what to do with the gears, go harder or easier. It feels like maybe if I'm even further back I can pedal against the braking, rather than a little further forward where I'm pedaling against the front wheel coming down, but then if I do the first thing it's harder to stay up (fore-aft). They said it'd be easier to learn on flats. Tried that. Nope.
I had a friend that would practice his wheelie before every ride while others were getting ready and after rides. He got really good at it. Funny part of that "cool story bro" is that we would have to wait for him during the ride cause he was out of shape and out of breath. At one point I had to tell him to slack off on the wheelies and maybe time to practice "shape"? It was our last ride together.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I had a friend that would practice his wheelie before every ride while others were getting ready and after rides. He got really good at it. Funny part of that "cool story bro" is that we would have to wait for him during the ride cause he was out of shape and out of breath. At one point I had to tell him to slack off on the wheelies and maybe time to practice "shape"? It was our last ride together.
Dang, that's cold!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I too cannot ride a wheelie... and saw "manual machine" referenced on TGR recently:

And thought about building one out of scrap wood, couldn't hurt...

PS:

Still having trouble with your manual? You’re most likely having trouble with one of the following …
1. Going too big, too fast does not work. Start small and work to feel the balance point on the bike.

2. Use your weight, do not pull up with your arms.

3. Shifting your weight back is what brings the front of the bike up (“lofting”), not ‘pulling’ the bars up (“lifting”). If you pull the bars up without shifting your weight back, the front will quickly go back down.

4. Do not cut the corner. Down and back at the same time, does not work. Think L shape, down THEN back.

5. Are you getting the front end up, but it wont stay up? Lower you center of mass by bringing your hips down closer to the rear wheel.

6. If on the the trail, keep a finger over your rear brake at all times. If at any point in this move you feel you are going to flip off the back of the bike, applying the back brake will bring the front wheel back down.

7. Once you’re ready for the trail, practice this skill by placing a stick on a slight downward (smooth) path and see how long / far you can hold the wheel lift. Some speed will keep the bike more stable.

After some focused practice on this skill you’ll be riding manuals all over the place – good luck!
i don't take advice from someone that still has a pie plate on their bike

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am personally more fed up with the testosterone kings who just have to show off their motor, yet sit on their fucking brakes anytime the trail gets pointed down. Oh and most of those dudes have no flow whatsoever in their riding.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Dang, that's cold!
There were some other underlying issues that sent my patience level below 0

I am personally more fed up with the testosterone kings who just have to show off their motor, yet sit on their fucking brakes anytime the trail gets pointed down. Oh and most of those dudes have no flow whatsoever in their riding.
Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way a speed demon and I'm in for the downs. But at one point one need to STFU and ride. #compulsivetalker

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nice, you even get to see American craftsmanship first hand before it starts to rattle apart.
Contrast stitching looks great when it's done correctly. If it was black thread, you almost wouldn't notice. :rofl:

<edit> this is the 3LT top level interior option.