Quantcast

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
If you had a heated concrete driveway you wouldn't have snow removal problems. It's totally worth it.
Some wealthy folk do that here. Mostly under paving stones. Drainage is a concern with heavy snowfalls. Everyone else just shovels and plows.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Some wealthy folk do that here. Mostly under paving stones. Drainage is a concern with heavy snowfalls. Everyone else just shovels and plows.
I stay at this condo in Boise that has a 400ft long asphalt driveway that's on like an 18% grade. That sucker is heated and the snow melts as fast as it falls. It is amazing to wake up to winter wonder land and have steaming blacktop access to the street.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
One of my neighbours has heated sections each the width of a car tracks up their asphalt driveway. It works in that they don't have to shovel to to drive out to the road from their garage. But they still have to shovel the centre section between the heated strips which turns into an icy mess and also clear to the sides.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I stay at this condo in Boise that has a 400ft long asphalt driveway that's on like an 18% grade. That sucker is heated and the snow melts as fast as it falls. It is amazing to wake up to winter wonder land and have steaming blacktop access to the street.
Sounds like a nice setup!

What are winter temps like in Boise, is it dry or humid in winter, also, how much snow does it get.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I guess that’s probably the case in JH, but the ‘village’ is actually kinda tiny. The Vail strip is like 1/2 a mile or a mile long…Just wait until we have solar powered heated asphalt for I70!

or imagine a system that used the heat created by pressure and weight of vehicles?
hmmm….

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I am ‘pretty sure’ that the entire strip of ‘Vail Village’ slope side has heated asphalt/cobbles.
One of the spendy homes I shot a couple years ago for the realtors had a full driveway with coils, probably about 200 yards long and 12 foot wide, Ran off a 3 phase service from the garage, he said it would burn about 22kw and cost around 600 bucks for 8 hours. Cray cray

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
A lot of towns in Northern Europe (and I think maybe Montreal) run waste water pipes close to the ground to capture the waste heat and melt ice accumulation. They still have to shovel but it helps prevent build up of black ice. I'm not sure how they prevent the opposite from happening (cold from penetrating the ground and freezing the pipes).

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
A lot of towns in Northern Europe (and I think maybe Montreal) run waste water pipes close to the ground to capture the waste heat and melt ice accumulation. They still have to shovel but it helps prevent build up of black ice. I'm not sure how they prevent the opposite from happening (cold from penetrating the ground and freezing the pipes).
Not for sidewalks in Montreal. It was discussed for Ste Catherine St, but didn’t happen. They have a system like that to help melt snow in the snow chutes that the snow removal trucks dump into though.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
One of the spendy homes I shot a couple years ago for the realtors had a full driveway with coils, probably about 200 yards long and 12 foot wide, Ran off a 3 phase service from the garage, he said it would burn about 22kw and cost around 600 bucks for 8 hours. Cray cray
What a waste of resources. Someone would gladly do the same with a toothbrush for $600/day.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Our sewers are heated, so they will flow, but it doesn't keep the roads clear. I suppose with enough heat, maybe it could help? Low sun angle is a real problem, it keeps the ground cold. Now it's starting to significantly subside due to the time of the year, but even further north in Fairbanks it's been the worst winter in decades for a bunch of rain that fell near new-years and wet snow that fell on top of it, end result inches of ice on all the roads that can't be removed due to how hard it bonded with the road. Not for months at least.