Quantcast

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Go ahead and tell me Slipknot and Rob Halford don't have many slices of cheese.
We (the house of old) decided judas priest was an important bridge between hard rock and the evolution of metal. But that mostly Black Sabbath invented the genre and nothing going on in the US during that time touches it.

Slipnot is post MTV so doesn't come into consideration since I'm pretty sure video killed the hard rock star. And replaced him with with a leotard, a teased wig and some lipstick.

We also realized that pretty much everything old that is considered metal is cheezy as fuck. :rofl:

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Granted, Alice Cooper/KissEtc. Was pop, but certainly paved the way for many artists, from Rob Zombie to GWAR, which are fun in their own way if you embrace the cheese. (But yeah, not 'metal' the way we think of it now).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
JP said sound was influenced by Birmingham metal forges, bass, snare, bass, snare. Id agree both Sabbath and JP being highly influential for heavy metal.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But then there was stuff like GNR, which ive always solidly thought of as hard rock, not metal.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
does that mean elves and dragons tellin off the man?

I'm just amazed at how astoundingly bad my taste in music was at 14. When you're so used to being perfect, that kind of thing can be pretty jarring.
The first tape I ever purchased was Twisted Sister, I was 7. Quality went up rapidly from there.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
does that mean elves and dragons tellin off the man?

I'm just amazed at how astoundingly bad my taste in music was at 14. When you're so used to being perfect, that kind of thing can be pretty jarring.
14?
on my Walkman/mixtape
Pink Floyd
Black Sabbath
David Bowie
Adam Ant
Johnny Cash
Jimi Hendrix
Vivaldi
7 Seconds
Agent Orange
Elton John
Frank Zappa
English Beat
Alan Parson’s Project
Ramones

(I was not like my other friends)

Last edited:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I'm in the same boat. Nobody played dirty electric blues based rock like that guy. I tolerated the cheesedick shit that surrounded it just to listen to him play.

....says the guy who likely thinks everything metal was covered on headbangers ball

TLDR: no

It's kind of like thinking pearl jam is grunge just because your radio listening ass never knew about sub-pop or Tad. The pop derivative is not the thing
ya'll need to go listen to The Pack A.D.

a wonderful palete cleanser/expander.

not metal. just fucking good fucking music.