Quantcast

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A buddy had a neighbor who was a lawyer. We tapped his phone line and would do nightly downloads from BBS's all over the world. This was after he ran up a couple hundred dollar phone bill on his line. The neighbor never caught on. I could call his computer during school hours and download to mine, or from the school computers to put on disk.

I had literally hundreds of 5.25's in paper bags and shoe boxes all over my bedroom.
I didn't know anything about the internet and the C64, an old dude I worked with supposedly wrote for a computer magazine and said he was allowed to play around on the internet when it was mostly for the military, he reckoned nothing was password protected and you could read a bunch of military info.... Pretty sure he was a mad stoner earlier on though.
I remember a brother's mate had a few set up for internet work and I think that went in to the early 2000s, he said the expansion port kept them sorta relevant, pretty sure that's what he said.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I didn't know anything about the internet and the C64, an old dude I worked with supposedly wrote for a computer magazine and said he was allowed to play around on the internet when it was mostly for the military, he reckoned nothing was password protected and you could read a bunch of military info.... Pretty sure he was a mad stoner earlier on though.
I remember a brother's mate had a few set up for internet work and I think that went in to the early 2000s, he said the expansion port kept them sorta relevant, pretty sure that's what he said.
In 7th and 8th grade I went to summer computer camp. It was basically a one week hackathon with everyone trading bbs phone numbers and learning how to manipulate the phone system to make free calls. It was the best worst thing my folks ever did. It did set me up for a career, so I guess it paid off. But they had no idea..

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Thread drift…what year was your first cell-phone?
I was a late adaptor, got this baby in ‘99.
It had GAMES!!

View attachment 201292
I was really late, bought one of these outright, I was the store's first cash sale so they gave me a discount. It was the first phone with a AR game and had so many quirks that only the Germans could engineer in to a product.
The Siemens home phone I have now isn't much better, it's like a uniden from 15yrs ago but more shit. For no reason at all one phone starts crackling sitting in its cradle and the only way to fix it is to remove the batteries. If you add new contacts to one phone you have to work out how to sync the phones and custom ringtone have to be set on each phone. Number one selling phone in Europe, do they not have Uniden there...?
1696149232344.png

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Thread drift…what year was your first cell-phone?
I was a late adaptor, got this baby in ‘99.
It had GAMES!!

View attachment 201292
I was working at MTI and we were building a HUGE display for Virgin Mobile's new store in Hollywood. They found out I didn't have a phone, so they gave me an LG Shine. I would have to check my resume, but my guess is 2007? As a software engineer I already carried a laptop, I didn't also want a pocket leash. I was reluctant.

Screenshot_20231001-063320.png

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator