Quantcast

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I keep seeing housing options using containers. Very tempting.View attachment 213978
I considered these for a brief time also, but saw no advantage to them. Only a list of cons: limited layout options due to fixed size, condensation & climate control require excessive insulation, low ceilings (look at the height of the sliding glass doors relative to the top of the containers) and cost. I really don't see a single upside except possibly "cool factor."

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I considered these for a brief time also, but saw no advantage to them. Only a list of cons: limited layout options due to fixed size, condensation & climate control require excessive insulation, low ceilings (look at the height of the sliding glass doors relative to the top of the containers) and cost. I really don't see a single upside except possibly "cool factor."
There is a beach house that is similar to the design I had using 2 40' containers in Long Beach.

PXL_20230620_175450062.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Flat pack shipping containers inside a shipping container?
Yo Dawg I heard you like......
Yeah I was trying to work out why they had panels welded top to bottom where the through wall AC units and windows were installed, it looked pretty odd.
I'm not really sure how they were weather sealed around the top, can't imagine it would be as reliable as a proper shipping container.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
At one point in time there was a container surplus and with the trade deficit they would arrive full from China full but were not worth shipping back empty so they became super cheap. That is no longer the case

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
At one point in time there was a container surplus and with the trade deficit they would arrive full from China full but were not worth shipping back empty so they became super cheap. That is no longer the case
Thank you for containerizing that summary, it really gets the point across.

Boy howdy, I missed the boat on that one.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I never understood why containers is a good idea. Before you add insulation and customisation to make it liveable I find it hard to see how its a good option except for dirt cheap shitty living.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
At one point in time there was a container surplus and with the trade deficit they would arrive full from China full but were not worth shipping back empty so they became super cheap. That is no longer the case is no longer the case
Heh. Understatement of the week right there. Those things were worth a fortune last time I looked - for storing stuff, not living in….