Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I fucking hate youtube repair videos. Most of the time what should be a 3 sentence explanation gets turned into a 20 minute video so it can be monetized.
There was a video on the brake caliper for the Chevy P30 that was totally helpful, but that's about it for me personally.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
There was a video on the brake caliper for the Chevy P30 that was totally helpful, but that's about it for me personally.
I used one recently to replace the "mode blend door actuator" and it was short (less than 3-1/2 minutes) and to the point. Even more valuable were the comments that had make-it-easier hints which turned an expected challenge into a 15m job.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I fucking hate youtube repair videos. Most of the time what should be a 3 sentence explanation gets turned into a 20 minute video so it can be monetized.

Mixed bag.
Some are great, most are crap.
Watched one the other day for a hint about taking a door card off and unhooking the power locks because I can't remember the trick. Watched it for exactly that, but guess what? That was the part the Fail-tuber did not explain and could not figure out. :banghead:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Mixed bag.
Some are great, most are crap.
Watched one the other day for a hint about taking a door card off and unhooking the power locks because I can't remember the trick. Watched it for exactly that, but guess what? That was the part the Fail-tuber did not explain and could not figure out. :banghead:
It is like modern online recipes, three pages of bullshit fluff to provide several ad spaces, then the note card size recipe.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
View attachment 214108

Can you feel the humidity?
Haynes manuals, actually.

View attachment 217324
Those things were too expensive.

and didnt they start putting them in plastic wrap, so you couldnt even read them in the parts store.

Best bet back then was to ask your buddies gun toting dad how to fix it. Or hit it with a hammer.

Agreed.

But thank jeebus for the youtube thing where it shows where the most viewed section of the video is.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Those things were too expensive.

and didnt they start putting them in plastic wrap, so you couldnt even read them in the parts store.

Best bet back then was to ask your buddies gun toting dad how to fix it. Or hit it with a hammer.
Not sure if you've ever used this, but it was pretty damn amazing.

711MnC0UWGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Havnt seen that before.

Luckily by the time I had a car, the internet was in full swing. :D
My 2nd car was a '69 Baja bug that was a total disaster, but that book helped me keep it running until I left for boot camp. :rofl:

It's all illustrated and very detailed, kinda crazy. The "worms eye view" of the engine was very helpful.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My 2nd car was a '69 Baja bug that was a total disaster, but that book helped me keep it running until I left for boot camp. :rofl:

It's all illustrated and very detailed, kinda crazy. The "worms eye view" of the engine was very helpful.
Seems appropriate for working on one of those things :busted:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That looks like it'd let the smoke out in a spectacular way.
That's happened twice so far, once at their depot and once on the road.

It does look like a good idea, lease a battery and swap it out at a service station instead of recharging it yourself.

EDIT- Booooo!
Due to WorkSafe health and safety and public liability, we are unable to.

But they will have a truck on display in the shithole know as Sydney at an EV test drive day.
That's a hard pass, fuck Sydney.

Last edited: