Quantcast

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Figured I'd see a picture of a broken EEWing at some point, didn't expect it on a bike packer's bike though.
Maybe it fell over fully loaded?
1725626918728.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Figured I'd see a picture of a broken EEWing at some point, didn't expect it on a bike packer's bike though.
View attachment 217957
in the article it said he was out of the saddle climbing.

given the propensity of his failures, part of it is the high mileage he does (lots of cycling, and not the sports term, but load cycling).

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
in the article it said he was out of the saddle climbing.

given the propensity of his failures, part of it is the high mileage he does (lots of cycling, and not the sports term, but load cycling).
A snapped welded crank and a snapped crank with holes in it seems more like poor crank selection to me.
If you are doing bulk loaded miles a long way from anywhere a simple heavy crank like a Saint would be my choice.

I think you'd be setting up for six different welds on each EEWing crank and the thing is being back purged the whole time, there would be some cranks that come out in better shape than others.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
View attachment 217957
On the whole, I think Ti embrittlement during welding is too much of a risk to go "all in", and that guy definitely went all in. Except for the 5dev, which broke at the stress riser, they all broke at welds. See the pic of their frame.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I miss the days of being able to use just a scope to diagnose. I seem to be in CANBUS hell for the rest of my life.
I miss the days of decent parts, new cam angle sensor was giving out a slightly different waveform to the genuine and it was enough to cause a backfire at start up.

I only found out a couple of weeks back that you can use a fuse as a shunt to find parasitic draws.
I'll be trying that in the future.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Funny you bring that up, I am buying wifey and kiddo tickets to Iceland for Thanksgiving holiday. Be interested in your impressions, however, they are definitely not camping in Iceland in late November, lol.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Funny you bring that up, I am buying wifey and kiddo tickets to Iceland for Thanksgiving holiday. Be interested in your impressions, however, they are definitely not camping in Iceland in late November, lol.
Neat place. The locals do a good job of concentrating tourists in specific areas, avoid those as much as possible specifically the Golden Circle unless you enjoy be surrounded by busloads of tourists with selfie sticks. Everyone in Reykjavik speaks perfect English but nobody outside of Iceland speaks Icelandic. Reykjavik had some fun street art and the music scene was great. Worth just wandering around. Be a little careful, some locals can be pretty good swindlers. Not going to get robbed or wake up with a missing kidney but they know how to extract money from suckers. And of course there is the dick museum, Iceland loves dicks.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Neat place. The locals do a good job of concentrating tourists in specific areas, avoid those as much as possible specifically the Golden Circle unless you enjoy be surrounded by busloads of tourists with selfie sticks. Everyone in Reykjavik speaks perfect English but nobody outside of Iceland speaks Icelandic. Reykjavik had some fun street art and the music scene was great. Worth just wandering around. Be a little careful, some locals can be pretty good swindlers. Not going to get robbed or wake up with a missing kidney but they know how to extract money from suckers. And of course there is the dick museum, Iceland loves dicks.

Is that a penis museum?