Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Can anyone explain me why lines and stripes like this so popular in the us? For me it looks like a glorified tribal tatoo
I wouldn't do my laptop, I just think his symmetry is excellent.

This is a more appropriate use of his talent.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Can anyone explain me why lines and stripes like this so popular in the us? For me it looks like a glorified tribal tatoo
Any fool with a tattoo gun can do a "tribal" tattoo. It takes a steady hand to run a single brush stroke with consistent lines in detail like that while maintaining near perfect symmetry.

Try doing it with a pencil and get back to me on it.

Some people actually pay money for Jackson Pollock paintings.

I'm more of a Robert Williams fan:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
FWIW, it's harder to do with a pencil than a pinstripe brush. Not saying there isn't an art to it, but if you have a steady hand and good motor skills, it makes it a lot easier.
I fail to see how a brush would be easier considering the width of the pencil lead will give a consistent line width (one aspect) so you are only dealing with the shape and symmetry at that point.

TN, let me know how it goes. I always wanted to try, but I have enough things to do on my truck as it is. :rofl:

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
did someone say bewbz?

nsfw.... barely, might actually be sfw, depends on whoz looking over your shoulder

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Any fool with a tattoo gun can do a "tribal" tattoo. It takes a steady hand to run a single brush stroke with consistent lines in detail like that while maintaining near perfect symmetry.

Some people actually pay money for Jackson Pollock paintings.

I'm more of a Robert Williams fan:
Steady hand or not it requires more skills than imagination. As for tribal tatoos - to make a good one (ugh!) you still need a steady hand and the right skill. Otherwise a tatoo will be crap so the comparison is still valid.

As for Jackson Pollock he is on the same page for me as avant garde books/movies/etc. They are important experiments that push the art forward but for the 99% people it only has collectors/show-off value while only 1% like what they see. Id much rather have a good street artist paint my laptop/flat walls than have something really important in there.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

Are you being ironical given how asymmetrical the example you posted is?:rofl:

I wouldn't do my laptop, I just think his symmetry is excellent.

This is a more appropriate use of his talent.

Last edited: